‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

Familiar

P.O.V – Becky Sinclair

The rest of the trip to Hogwarts was relatively calm, compared to the start of it, that is. Luna still refused to quit staring at me, but one can’t have everything, and so far I managed to avoid answering any painful questions from my past. Lying only when necessary.

Now it seems we’ve fallen back into a lull, conversation wise, again. Ron having just finished an exhaustive speech about why all Slytherins were spawn of the devil, and should I be sorted there, he would cease contact with me. A sharp foot stomp on Hermione’s part had caused him to add, that he thought I was a very nice person and my chances of being sorted there were minimal.

Sorted. Doesn’t exactly project a unified front now does it? Where I go, Ravenclaw, ‘the most intelligent people you will ever meet, besides Hermione’, Hufflepuff , ‘a generally kind lot', Slytherin, ‘the house that produced more evil witches and wizards than the others combined’, and Gryffindor, ‘the best house possible to be in, ever’, Luna glared at that, seemed to determine my entire life here.

On top of that, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I had known this all before. I mean Mrs. Lankins and Mrs. Figg had both told me a little about the houses, but even before that. It almost felt like a dream I once had, but could no longer remember. In fact, it hurt my head to think of the subject,

I wonder what house I’ll be in? I thought absently, as the train came to a halt. Causing both Ron and Hermione to leave the compartment, muttering something about supervising students and luggage.

Leaving me alone with Neville and Luna, who both stood up.

“Well I suppose we better be off, shouldn’t we?” Began Luna, her voice as serene as ever, though she still continued to stare at me with those amplified eyes of hers, “You are ready aren’t you? You won’t be needing any help?” She asked, a slight edge of concern in her voice.

“No,” I began, casting a glance at Neville who gave a consolatory look, before looking back at Luna, “why would I?”

“Oh,” She began softly, “the Turbatio is just looking a bit fierce at the moment.” Then, with one last probing look, she left the compartment.

I cast another look at Neville, who just shrugged, following her out.

Well, then, I thought standing up, Luna certainly is a character. The nurses would have loved her too. She’s the calm type nutcase, their favorite.

I pressed my hand around the handle of the sliding door, a feeling of slight dizziness coming over me as I did so. I raised my other hand to my forehead.

I was beginning to sweat too…

I turned slightly, allowing me to fall back into my seat. The world around me beginning to spin.

Everything, all of a sudden, looking so familiar…

A searing pain shot through my head, and I fell, whimpering, sideways onto the seat.

The compartment was beginning to flash back and forth between different colors now…

Red…

Blue…

Grey…

Green…

Black…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

I’ve been here for no more than ten minutes, just on the train, and I already hated this school. It seemed to be comprised of bumbling idiots and nothing else. I had yet to see any of the people that comprised of my mission, and I was in no particular hurry, if they were anything like the rest of them.

Taking in a deep breath, I slid open, yet another compartment door. With any luck, this one won’t be filled with another set of fools. I thought irritably, before seeing the compartment’s sole occupant, a pale boy with greasy looking black hair, his large hooknose buried in a book. I recognized him almost instantly as Severus Snape, one of my father’s possible new recruits. Once he becomes of age, that is.

He looked up, his black eyes widening for a moment, before narrowing.

“Hello, Severus.” I said with false cheerfulness in my voice, as I flounced into the compartment, smiling, and settling myself next to him. Pushing back a strand of his black hair away from his face, before looking downwards at his book, “Whatcha reading?” I asked, my voice still filled with the same false cheer.

He frowned, giving me a thin smile, as he shoved me away from him, before returning to his book.

I glared, “I’d watch yourself, Snivellus,” I began lowly, “you don’t want to turn up dead somewhere, now do you?”

He barely blinked, his eyes remaining fixed on his book, “Summoning the Dark Lord to Hogwarts now are you? Seems a waste of his precious time to me…”

My eyes flashed furiously, as I formed a ball of flame in my hand, raising it to the side of his face, “Who says I need my father to kill you?” I whispered softly, before feeling the point of a wand at my heart.

Severus’ dark gaze turning to meet mine.

I laughed, “Do that and you really are a dead man.” I closed my fist around the flame, shrinking back from him, as he returned to his book without a word.

I sighed, this would be a long trip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Becky!” I heard a voice yell, as someone began to shake me, “Becky wake up!”

With a slight groan, I slowly opened my eyes, to see Sirius holding me, a look of concern on his face.

“There you are.” He said softly, a small smile on his face, as I clutched him tighter. He had come for me again, “You’re going to miss the carriages if you don’t hurry.”

I blinked, my eyes still a little fuzzy, “Carriages? What carriages?” I asked weakly.

Sirius ran his hand through my hair, a loving look on his face, “The carriages that take you to the school. They’re leaving in a few minutes.”

I sat up in his arms, causing me to pressed up against him, his eyes darkening.

We sat like that for a moment, my eyes searching his face, his locked on mine, before he pressed his lips to my forehead. I closed my eyes at his touch.

“You need to go.” Said Sirius huskily, as I opened my eyes.

Staring at him blankly when he backed away from me, motioning towards the door, “Go.” He said, a hint of urgency in his voice.

I nodded, standing up and opening the sliding door, casting one last look at Sirius, before stepping through.