‹ Prequel: The Dark Witch

The Return of the Dark Witch

The Carriage Ride

P.O.V – Becky Sinclair

So this is Draco Malfoy. I thought for the second time this evening, as I sat myself as far away from him as I possibly could.

“So do you always have random fainting spells?” Draco drawled, smirking, “Or does it only happen when you’re around me?”

I can see why Ron was so adamant about him, I thought to myself, as I glared. He truly is one of the most arrogant and pigheaded people, I have ever met.

Additionally, he just had to remind me of my nausea and headache, induced by my fainting a few moments ago, that just being in his wretched presence, had made me forget. Along with...

I scrunched up my face in thought.

I didn’t really know.

All I that had happened, was me catching sight of those monstrous horse like creatures, the ones that are currently pulling our carriage. When, suddenly, I had felt, yet another, headache come on.

I am really, really, sick of those by the way.

The next thing I knew, I was in front of my orphanage again, holding out my wand, the one given to me by Voldemort, and using it to shoot out a blast of green light towards a kid.

That's all I got from the little dream, when I was awoken by a slap to my face. Given to me, by the one and only, Draco Malfoy, as he cradled me in his arms.

Naturally, I moved away from him. Because, A, he's a jerk, and B, I'm Sirius' girl.

After that, I had barely gotten the chance to register what was going on, when, suddenly, he was inside the carriage threatening to have me trampled to death.

“Is all that thinking about me too?” Asked Draco, arrogantly as he interrupted my thoughts.

I turned to look at his smirking face, “No, it’s not.” I replied flatly.

Well, at least not entirely, I thought concededly, before snapping at him, “You’re aware that you're a jerk right?”

I watched, as a brief hurt look flashed across his sharp features, before he quickly replaced it with one of indifference.

“If that’s how you want to play it…” He trailed off lightly, looking out of the carriage.

I sighed. This boy was insufferable, I thought to myself exasperatedly, as I folded my arms across my chest. Turning to look out the carriage as well, though, it was too dark to really see anything.

“So who are you exactly, anyway?” Questioned Malfoy, a slight tint of curiosity, to his otherwise, bored tone.

I turned back to him, slightly affronted, “Becky Sinclair.” I replied sharply, “I told you so before, or is your memory just that short?”

He raised his eyebrows at me, his back stiffening, “My memory is just fine, thank you.” Draco replied, in annoyed tone of voice, “What I really was asking was, what’s your blood status?”

I frowned, “My blood what?” I asked, confused.

He laughed in response, looking out of the carriage, before returning his gaze to me, still snickering, “So you’re a mudblood then. A filthy mudblood.”

My eyes widened. I don’t know what that meant, but it sounded very insulting to me.

Oh why didn’t someone fill me in on this topic already? Mrs. Lankins? Mrs. Figg? Anyone?

“A what?” I finally replied, my voice low, a dangerous quality to it that I had never quite heard before, as I choked back a sudden inner rage.

Draco quirked his eyebrow, still smirking, “A muggle born .” He replied indifferently, “Someone with non-magical parents. Like you, mudblood.”

"Oh.” The beast died within me as suddenly as it had arrived. My face softening as I looked down at my lap.

I never knew my parents. They could have been anything as far as I know. Even a witch and wizard. It would certainly explain a lot...

I looked back up at Malfoy’s mocking face.

“But, I never knew my parents. I don’t even know their names.” I burst out, unintentionally, my eyes widening as I did so.

No, I really did not just say that. Not after lying my butt off to everybody else.

I was surprised when his face softened instantly at my words, a look of true concern flashing across it, “That’s horrible.” Said Draco softly, swallowing as he turned to look out the window, pausing for a moment, “But then again, maybe it’s better, to not know who your parents are.” His face darkened suddenly as he clutched his left arm,” Sometimes knowing them, can be the worst thing ever to happen to you.” He added lowly.

Why did he say that? I thought rapidly to myself, I was legitimately hating him, until he said that, and maybe that was his point, to pull at my heartstrings, but still…

What could be so wrong with his life, his parents, that he would say anything at all like that. Even if he was faking, and honestly, it didn’t sound to me like he had been.

I took a deep breath, swallowing hard, as I reached out my hand and placed it on his knee, comfortingly.

He turned to look at me, and I was surprised to see tears in his eyes.

We sat like that for a few moments, before he spoke,

“Have you ever been forced to do something you knew, deep inside, was wrong?” He asked, a raw edge to his voice.

I frowned, looking away from him in thought, before shaking my head slowly.

Everything I had ever done, good or bad, had been my choice. Even that time I had listened to Voldemort.

I met his gaze.

“We always have a choice, Draco.” I said softly, thinking of the words Sirius had once said to me, “You can choose to do the right thing.”

Abruptly he drew back, stiffening, an almost angered expression coming onto his face, “You don’t understand. None of you know what it is like. To have the fate of the people you love and care about, rest in your hands.” His eyes widened, after he had spoken, almost like he had said too much.

Suddenly, the carriage came to a stop, and I sat there, frozen, watching as he quickly exited the carriage without so much as another look in my direction. My thoughts slowly beginning to drift back into the dream I had had only just last night. The one in which I had written a letter to Sirius, and the thoughts I had been thinking at the time,

“The only thing I can do is spare you, and that is not a choice. When it comes to sparing you pain, there is no choice.”

Was Draco doing the same thing? Sparing the people he loved pain, but placing it all on himself. Had he too, been forced to leave someone behind? Holding their life in his hands, as I had Sirius' in the dream. It certainly sounded like it.

Still thoughtful, I forced myself to exit the carriage. Immediately finding myself face to face with the hook-nosed boy of my Hogwarts Express fainting dream, only older, and with a very stunned expression on his face.

“You are, Becky Sinclair?” He asked sharply, frowning, one of his hands twitching as it neared the side of his robes.

I gulped, less than two seconds in his presence, and I already felt like I was back in the care of my asylum therapist again, “Uh, yes.” I replied uncertainly as he looked me over, his eyes darkening.

A beat past before he replied, glaring at me as he did so, “Very well, Becky." He emphasized my name, "You are to come with me. The headmaster wishes to have a word.” He looked me over yet again, “Maybe several.” He added softly, gesturing for me to walk beside him towards the castle steps.

Author’s note: So, what do you think? Hmm?