Front Porch Story

Front porch

"Adie, your back?!" Tanya says excitedly as she opens the front door.

"Fuck off Tanya," I say shoving past her and making my way to my room.

"What's her problem?" she asks my dad.

"Well, she moved in with the Billie Bob guy..." he trails off to telling her and Kathy about what happened.

*The next day*

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! "Adie," Tanya calls out as she opens the door slowly.

"What?!" I mutter into my pillow.

"Uh, Dad told me to give you this pamphlet and for you to decide what courses you're going to take at community college."

"Thanks," I say taking the pamphlet out of her hand.

"And Billie Joe called."

"I can't talk to him," I mutter as I shove my face into my pillow.

"Why not?"

"Because, I'd just be teasing him and myself," I say distracting myself with the pamphlet. I circle my course choices and shove the pamphlet in Tanya's hand. "Give the pamphlet to Dad."

"Jeez Adie, you seriously look like shit," Tanya says pulling a lock of hair out of my face.

"Just leave me alone!" I yell and Tanya scurries out of my room.

*Six months later*

"How'd you like to be set up with the ultimate gorgeousness?" my friend Amy asks me in my photography class.

"Ah no."

"Please, he's single, you're single and..."

"Is this so you can go on a damn double date with Jerry?" I ask bluntly.

"Yes," she says looking down at her negatives. "Please come. Please oh please oh please."

"Fine," I mutter holding up a film strip.

"Really? Oh thank you!" she says hugging me.

"Wait, how'd you meet this guy?"

"He's Jerry's cousin, really nice guy," Amy says confidently. "His name is Billy Bisson."

"Billy? I'm sorry but I can't go out with him."

"What, why not?"

"My ex's name is Billie," I mutter.

"So? Just come!"

"For fuck's sake you're not going to let up are you?"

"Not a chance," she says shaking her head, "besides, you won't have to get used to screaming a new name when having sex."

"What? Who says I'm going to have sex with this guy? I agreed to one date," I say rolling my eyes.