Sequel: Guardian Angels.

I Am Fallen.

Help From A Friend.

I heard the scuffle of feet outside the room, the muffled sound of the teenagers still laughing, joking about what had happened and...and Erica's voice drifting through it all, calling out my name.

I was too ashamed to reply to her when I heard her shouting for me right by the door. I ignored her even though I wanted to call right back to her, to yell at the top of my voice that I was only a short distance away.

But I didn't. She couldn't see me like this...like a...like a human. Weak and unable to control their emotions.

As I wiped the bottom of my shirt across my face, I heard the door open and quietly snap shut. I shut my eyes, thinking it was Erica. But it wasn't...it was someone I hadn't met.

'Are you okay?' said a shy voice, the warmth of a hand on my arm.

I glanced up and saw a scrawny boy there. His hair was a mousy brown, swept over his forehead and almost over his brown eyes. I could see he was different from the others who went here, even though his uniform was the same...with a few exceptions.

There were round things pinned to his blazer, each displaying their own text and words in bold writing. One said Slipknot, another one said Iron Maiden. I wondered at what they were. His shirt was creased and hung just above the top of his trousers, though even they were worn lower then where they were supposed to be. A bag with patches sewn all over was slung onto his back, again the word 'Slipknot' was adorned into the fabric.

'Erm...dude? You okay?' he asked again, looking concerned because I hadn't replied the first time.

Why did everyone call me a dude? What was a dude? Erica had called me one and I still didn't know what it was.

'I...yes. I think I am.' I said, wiping my eyes again to make sure they weren't wet still.

The boy nodded and sank to the floor next to me. He gave me a look...it wasn't like he was trying to comfort me, just that he knew what I was going through.

'Don't worry. You'll be forgotten about before you know it...that's just how high school is.' he mumbled to me, grabbing the bag from his back and pulling out a lot of paper.

'What's that?' I said curiously. It was also an excuse to get the subject off of me.

'This? Nothing really...just drawings I sketch when I feel the need to escape.'

He offered it out to me and I took it carefully. The first page was nothing significant, just elaborate swirls and patterns that covered the paper. I heard him mutter that the drawings weren't great and that I shouldn't expect much.

Then I saw the next page. It was...beautiful. It was of a church and even I knew what they were, despite my lack of knowledge about everything else. The windows on his drawing were filled with colourful images, set in between incredible archways of crumbling brick.

As I leaned closer to the picture, I could see sculptures. They looked familiar...too similar. I spotted the wings and the flowing robes. The sculptures were of Angels.

I could hear him babbling away again, going on about how it wasn't that good. But I barely noticed what he was saying really. I was transfixed by the drawing. My eyes started to water again and then I realised...I missed heaven.

'Whoa! You sure you're alright?' he gasped, seeing my tears fall onto the drawing.

'Yes...yes. I'm...I'm...' I started but I couldn't say it.

It wasn't fine. Not at all. I didn't belong here! I belonged in heaven...where no one pointed and laughed, where no one criticized you out of pure spite.

It was impossible though...I couldn't get back there without saving someone. It was useless to cry about it.

The closest thing to heaven was...Erica. She knew what I was, she could at least empathize with me...but here I was, hiding away from her selfishly.

I had to find her and apologize.

I stood to leave but turned back to the boy.

'Thank you...really. You've helped me a lot.' I told him, handing back the sketch book. 'I'm sorry I cried over your drawing, I'm afraid I've wrecked it.'

He smiled at me and pulled himself up to stand next to me.

'It's no problem...I can draw another one. I'm glad I helped you.' he said with a grin. 'What's your name, by the way?'

'Zach.' I replied, smiling at the nick name Erica had given me. 'What's yours?'

'Louis but most people just call me Lou.'

'Well, it's been nice to meet you Lou. I hope we see each other around.' I said and I meant it...he seemed like a good person.

I turned to go and twisted the handle to open the door.

'Oh and Zach?' Lou called. 'If you need help...ever...just let me know. I'll do anything I can.'

I couldn't think of what to say. I was overwhelmed that someone who was practically a stranger would offer me help. All I could do was smile again as I left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'm mega happy that I have 31 subscribers on this story now :)
It's exactly the kind of boost I needed.