First Act as an Adult

Breakfast

If you hadn’t noticed I have not mentioned any breakfast, that’s because we were in a long search for someplace that was 1) open, 2) quick, and 3) served something that was gluten and soy free. I will tell you now that going out to eat with me is a pain in the bum.

After walking all over Fantasyland and what not we finally decided to get something to eat on Main Street. It was a place called Blue Ribbon Bakery and there was a long queue in there. However it met the criteria for the above mentioned three requirements so we got in the long queue. Finding this a perfect opportunity, I pulled out, from my bag, Pride and Prejudice. I had some homework I had to finish before Monday and every time I found myself in a long queue I would read.

I finished two chapters before I got a chance to look in the window at what food options were available (with my mum pointing out to me everything that was full of gluten and looked really good) and I was able to make out the letters on the menu for drinks. Getting closer to the head of the queue I noticed there was only one yogurt parfait left, which was the only thing there I could eat. It was a race then. There were two groups left in front of us, who would get the last parfait? Finally it was our turn but sadly my dad went first. I kept my eyes on that parfait. My mum went. My turn! I blurted out, “a parfait.” The cashier looked at me; it was really loud in there. Did he hear me? Is someone at the other register going to get it?

“Yogurt?” he asked. I nodded my head. He went to go grab the last one, which was all mine. Sweet salvation I get to eat breakfast! I also ordered a peppermint mocha. While waiting our cashier tried to interest me in a conversation about my birthday and how his recently passed, I, with my wonderful skills, was able to end that conversation with me saying very little. Our drinks arrived and I took my parfait and mocha in search of spoon. Over by the coffee fixings they had straws, napkins (which my father grabbed twenty of), sugar, milk, salt, forks, and knives. No spoons. Why me cruel world? When I reached for a fork my dad pointed out that behind the queue of people was another coffee fixing station and there I found not just one spoon, but a bin full of spoons. I grabbed one and followed my parents into the ice cream shop that was connected and found a seat in the back; it was empty, did you really think people would want ice cream that early in the morning when it was that cold out? No.

There were two choices of seating: a short bar and a tall bar. My mum made a move to sit at the short bar but I quickly sat down at the tall bar. I was facing a mirror and noticed behind me was a giant blue-green crystal elephant statue. I pointed it out my mum and she chuckled at my delayed observation. I happily, and quickly, ate my large amount of yogurt. I never thought yogurt as a filling food but a lot of it plus bananas, blueberries, and strawberries, I found myself very full after finishing my parfait.

Looking to my left I saw my parents still munching away at their breakfast of pastries so I sipped on my still hot mocha and waited. They soon finished as well and looked at me.

“Shall we go?” asked my dad eager to get to more rides. We always joked how he was just another kid in the family. We took our coffees and made our way to Frontierland.

But first we stopped at this area in the candy shop where they had the machines that take your change and put patterns on it. I could not resist the one that would take one of my nickels and make a picture of WallE and his plant in a shoe on it. I smiled at it and put it safely in my bag. Then we moved on.
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter lengths will vary. Some will be very very long and some very very short.

This is the chapter I read to my school's Creative Writing Club, they liked it and thought it was funny. Afterwards I pulled out my stamped nickel and they all swarmed around me and said 'aw'. It was a bit scary.

Thanks for reading.
-Charlotte