Guardian

ichi.

A gentle wind passed over the rooftops, tousling her golden hair around her face. A smile tugged at her soft, pink lips, daring them to transform into that magical song that they loved so much to share with the world. Daring them to complete the masterpiece that was her sculpted face. Her eyes remained shut, allowing the dreams and memories to take control once more.

There was no companion by her side tonight: no one to talk with about the wonders of the sunset, or empty the happenings of the day on to. There was no young boy to get mad at when he did something stupid, or appreciate on the off chance that he did something sweet, or ignore because she just didn’t want him to be there. No, there was no soul in the world tonight.

Life passed on down below her dangling feet, unaware of her presence or the dull ache in her heart. She tipped her head back, relishing in the sweet aroma of life, but cursing its heartache and abundant pain. She parted her lips, pondering if there was anything to be said in these silent moments. Was there anything worth being said, worth chancing a message on the air to have it lost before arrival? There was nothing to be said to make things better, so why bother with petty attempts?

Her fingertips brushed a stray hair back behind her ear as a tear rolled across her cheek. She didn’t smear it away, hopeful that perhaps it might bring him back. Perhaps, if she hurt enough, the world would take pity on the small girl. Was it her fault? Could she have saved him?

Lately, like the thoughts that seemed to always be there, it hurt to breathe, to wake up knowing that there was nothing. That he was gone, and she was still here and there was no way to change either of those facts. Of course, she would be assigned to a new partner, and there would still be a future for her, if invisible to her right now. She cursed herself for allowing thoughts other than them to cross her mind, especially now.

Her thin lips quivered, and she pulled her knees tight to her frame, burying all the hurt and the memories, resisting the urge to cry. He wouldn’t want her to cry…

Again the breeze pulled her hair around in its gentle currents, and she turned to face its source. Where was he right now? Was he happy? Did he miss h- No, of course not… Not her; he wouldn’t think of her.

The air blew faster then, more violent, but she didn’t notice. She never seemed to notice what was right in front of her. He would show her, though, someday. He wouldn’t leave, could never leave her, despite what she may have thought. She would find someone new, yes, but they would never forget each other. They would never truly be separate.

He watched her rise, watched her walk away, watched her look over her shoulder as another tear rolled down. And they smiled at each other, though only one truly aware of it. And she walked on.

The wind passed over the rooftops, ruffling her hair around her shoulders.