Lost Kisses

Things Will Change

“I need a resolution. I need to change. It has got to start now.” Hayley came through the door, threw her backpack on the ground and waltzed into the kitchen.

“But its not new years! Why do you need a resolution?” Melinda called coming into the kitchen from the back room.

“Melinda, I’m starting over. I’m gonna be free.” Hayley spread out her arms and spun in circles. Her face was lit up with a smile that hadn’t been seen by anyone since after her parents passing.

“Hayley, what’s wrong with you?! Are you on drugs?!” Melinda grabbed Hayley’s face in her hands and looked into both of her eyes. “what’s this all about?”

“I have decided that I need to change myself, for the better. I’m emotional, depressed, a freak, way too quiet, and not studying enough. I need to get out of this. Don’t you see? Maybe I need a hobby or something, but I know that whatever it is I need something that’s going to change me and get me a new nickname around school. I have to stop being The Emo Cheerleader.”

“Well, well that’s good then. You should want something better for yourself sweetie, its healthy and good all around. Here, come sit.” Melinda guided her to a chair and started to make two cups of tea. “Now, its wonderful that you want change, but its not as easy as just thinking of it. I don’t want this little project of yours to backfire and make things worse.”

“It won’t I promise.”

“Alright, alright. Now what are you going to do? How are you going to make yourself better?”

Hayley thought a moment. I need to do something, get myself out there. I need to show the world that I’ve changed, not just make this transformation on the inside. “I think I’m going to write music, sing songs. Wasn’t my mother a singer?”

Melinda set a cup down in front of Hayley who gingerly took a sip then she took a seat across from her with her own cup. “Yes, your mother had a beautiful singing voice. She was actually offered a record contract.”

“Really? What did she say?”

“Your mother said no. She couldn’t put herself out their being she wasn’t going to die. People would question her.”

“She must have been so upset.”

“Actually no. She was fine with it. Singing wasn’t her thing, just something she was good at. She was more interested in boys than anything else. I was surprised she actually married.” Melinda’s playful smile spread across her face. “Try it, it might do you some good. Just promise me if it doesn’t work out you wont be too hard on yourself?”

“I promise, thanks.” Hayley hopped up and kissed Melinda on her cheek before running upstairs.

Alright, first I’ll do my homework, the cheer team comes first. Hayley went over to her I-home, plugged in her I-touch and put it on shuffle. The first song that came on was Pete Wentz Is The Only Reason We’re Famous by Cobra Starship. I can’t concentrate listening to this. She pressed next and You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift came on. With this I can concentrate. She sat down cross legged on her bed and opened up her algebra textbook.

Four hours later Hayley woke up. She remembered studying algebra and history. English she skipped because in that class she did exceptionally well. That meant all she had left was Chemistry. She looked down at the paper she had picked her head up from and realized it was this weeks lab sheet. Hayley picked herself up from her bed and went to the balcony.

Night had fallen and every star in the sky was showing. Using vampire speed, Hayley appeared in Melinda’s doorway. She was sound asleep in her bed. No need to wake her. Hayley disappeared and walked silently along the path to the clearing. Sitting there under the one tree in the middle was William with an acoustic guitar. He looked up at her and she could see his eyes shining.

“Hayley, come here and sit down. I’ve got a surprise for you.” She walked over and sat next to him under the tree. “Shh, just listen.” He started strumming the guitar and heard him start to sing.

“We were seventeen and invincible. Had the world figured out and the girl on my shoulder told me ‘everything’s gonna’ be alright’ and everything was gonna’ be alright. …”

Boys Like Girls? How did he know? I love this song. I love this! I love…

“And now she’s got a boyfriend and I’ve got a rock band. Guess nothing really ever goes the way it’s planned. Yeah, she’s with her new guy and I’m on some back road driving to this clearing and then who knows? ‘Cause that’s how I go. I wish that I could turn this car around, ‘cause she’s got a boyfriend now.”

He jumped up and stood in front of her “Don’t worry, the story gets better.” he told her before he started to sing again. “Then I took a trip out to P.A. for this girl with a smile that would take my breath away and I’m thinking’ everything’s gonna’ be alright and everything is totally alright. Baby, I think I can sweep in and sweep her off her feet and take her in my life and I’m thinking’ everything’s gonna’ be alright, and everything is gonna’ be alright.”

He’s gorgeous. She decided. He’s adorable and sweet and I want him, I need him.

“I keep goin’ on, are you too far gone? Does she have a boyfriend? I’ve got a rock band. Does nothing really ever go the way its planned? Yeah she’s on the east coast and I’m on this back road driving to this clearing and then who knows? ‘Cause that’s how I go. I could never turn this car around. Does she have a boyfriend now?”

William knelt down on both knees and sat back. “Take me back to you somehow. With everything that I know now it’s so hard, I tore us apart. Take me back to feeling like the world would just keep dealing me the right cards. Are you just too far?”

He started speaking “Now hear me out, I’m twenty-three and invincible.” Then he sang again “Got the world figured out and the bird on my shoulder told me ‘everything’s gonna’ be alright’ But is everything gonna’ be alright? Does she have a boyfriend? I’ve got a rock band. Does nothing really ever go the way its planned? Yeah, she’s sitting here now and I’m on some back road driving to this clearing and then who knows? ‘Cause that’s how I go. I wish that I could turn this car around, Does she have a boyfriend now?”

“Baby should I turn this car around? Will you go? I wish that I could read your mind somehow! Do you have a boyfriend now?” He put down the guitar and moved over her. “I’ll take your, take your breath, breath, breath away. I’ll take your, take your breath, breath, breath away.”

“So Hayley, answer me this. Do you have a boyfriend now?”

Hayley smiled. He was just so cute and cleaver. It was like he could read her mind or he could just sense how she loved what he was doing to her. “No, I do not have a boyfriend now.”

“Good.” He smiled that brilliant flash of a smile. “Then maybe you’ll like my next song.” He stood up and grabbed his guitar again and started to play. “I'm flying down the fast lane, doin’ ninety-five, ninety things on my brain. Don't know where the hell I'm going but I'm going after you. I'm jumping on the last train, got this crazy kind of feeling that I can't explain. Don't know where the hell I'm going, but I'm going after you.”

“And I know you think I'm crazy and I dress up like I'm four. I don't do dinner and movies, but if I showed up at your door would you give me one more minute? The story's far from finished, we could fill in all pages. I'm feeling sick ’cause you're so contagious. Just wanna say I like you, I caught it when I saw you and I’ve been through all the stages. I’m feeling sick ‘cause your so contagious.”

William went and did one of those hot little guitar slides up to her against the tree. “It was raining here yesterday. Doing ninety-five, ninety things left to say. Told myself to keep on driving, 'cause I left my heart with you. I never thought that I could walk away. Every second I'm regretting that I didn't stay. How can I just keep on driving when I left my heart with you?”

“You might think I’m crazy, and you might just hate my car. Well, I don't drive a Mercedes, but would it be that hard to just give me one more minute? The story's far from finished, we could fill in all pages. I'm feeling sick ’cause you're so contagious. Just wanna say I like you, I caught it when I saw you and I’ve been through all the stages. I’m feeling sick ‘cause your so contagious.”

Still sitting next to her and still playing his song, William grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close. Courtney giggled, he was just to cute to resist making her smile. “How can I get a first chance? Don't want you slippin' out my hands. Maybe the words would come out right his time around, does this sound contagious? Just hear me out before I go, things that I wanted you to know. Just let me in tonight and I won't let you go. Does this sound contagious? Would you give me one more minute? The story's far from finished, we could fill in all pages. I'm feeling sick ’cause you're so contagious. Just wanna say I like you, I caught it when I saw you and I’ve been through all the stages. I’m feeling sick ‘cause your so contagious.”

“William that was beautiful. How did you know that I loved that song?”

“Ha ha, I didn’t! The song came on my I-pod last night when I got home and I thought of you. Hayley, I don’t know what it is but I’m crazy about you.” William took her hands in his. “I want to be with you, and if that means going back to school I’ll do it, I’ll do it all for you. Courtney, as cheesy and sappy as this may sound, will you be my girlfriend?”
♠ ♠ ♠
**This chapter IS NOT finished.