‹ Prequel: Kiss & Tell
Status: done :)

The Wrong You Like

Now.

"Dude you're fucking nuts! First of all James Franco and I will someday meet and get married and secondly, at least I'm not all brooding and mysterious!" Sadie yelled in the shack that was our place of employment. Technically it was the Surf Shack, but after the holidays like now it was dead. No one wants to surf in the ice of January, Sadie jumped off the counter and smiled coyly her long blonde waves sticking to her lip gloss. Sadie was usually terribly quiet, but I brought out the whatever the hell this is in her. Goody. But honestly I couldn't complain, I like the slow pace of the beach town that only got super busy with dumb tourists in the summer, a place where it was a permanent state of relaxation.

God, 2010, had it really been this long. I kept up with the Maine from what I heard girls squealing gossip or if something really great happened, like them being signed to Warner Brothers, my mom would call. She was upset at me leaving, but happy I suppose, after all I was "living the dream". Sunday and I still talked, a lot actually her and Kennedy had broken up and now were in some form of an open relationship, but I avoided the topic of John O'Callaghan, even though it was probably killing me a little inside.

"Earth to Evan?" Sadie said waving her skinny arm at me, I snapped back into the present, the shitty present. I crossed my legs, I was wearing skinny jeans and a plain white v-neck under a red cardigan. I wish my style had evolved more, but unfortunately I was still very, very lazy.

"Hmm?" I asked securing my side-braid and letting it fall on my shoulder. My hair was damaged by the sun, which everyone mistook for highlights. My skin was sun-kissed all the time, which loses its appeal. I kinda wanted to be ghostly pale just for a little bit, but I'm losing my head again.

"There you go again, off in your head! Why are boys attracted to you? Let's go get lunch!" She said putting on a cotton peacoat.

"What the fuck are you talking about boys? No one's asked me out since I turned Colby down," I laughed grabbing my brown leather clutch. I didn't have time for a snazzy comeback that would just make Sadie hyper-sensitve.

"That's because you didn't turn him down, you destroyed him!" Sadie sang as she locked up the store behind us, flipping the sign to say closed. We could essentially come and go as we pleased, but on sundays we closed at three, and one was close to three and Noah (our beloved, pothead owner) would never know. I scoffed skeptically, but I kinda did, only because Colby wouldn't stop asking me out of hitting on me and it reminded me of John. Everything reminds me of him though.

"Whatever, Sadie Lou Jones," no joke, that's her name. Her parents are like stuck in the fifties or something. We linked elbows and made our way down the boardwalk to a tiny cafe Sadie's brother owned (free food!).

"Evan, you have to find yourself a nice boy who will buy you dinner because we are poor as shit!" She joked, I laughed nodding. We were indeed poor and roommates, but who's complaining. "Are you working this weekend?" Sadie asked ordering salads for both of us and getting diet cokes, and making her way to the table I was sitting at.

"Um, yeah I think I have a shoot at Irvine," I said after thanking her for her meal. She nodded tucking a strand of hair behind her ears. I debated telling her,but she'd find out anyways, "I think I might have a contract in the works." I said biting my lip a little seeing how she would take the news.

"Oh my fucking God! With who! Congratulations!" She said all at once. I thanked her and patted her on the back, since she was hugging me over the table. I saw her silver locket fall into her diet coke and laughed a little. She sat back down missing the seat a little and once she had readjusted herself completely she smiled and I answered,

"Uh, IMG Modeling, I'm so excited! I mean its everything I hoped for coming out here-" I stopped when I heard the sound of 'Coffee Shop Soundtrack' come blasting from my clutch. I fumbled around looking for my phone and saw my mother's number. Probably an emergency, I gave Sadie an apologetic smile and answered, "hello?"

"Evangeline Marilyn Brock! I've been trying to reach you for forever where are you?!" My mother yelled sounding panicked.

"I was at work, I don't have signal there! What's wrong mom?" I asked I lowered my head and my hair tumbled over my face, creating a screen between a nosy Sadie and I.

"Kennedy's in San Francisco and apparently he's been arrested, sweetie, you have to bail him out! I transferred some money to your account, just drive up there and post bail. Please baby!" She pleaded, I had work, but I could get out of that. I had my shoot this weekend, but I could probably get home in time for that.

"Um, yeah of course, Mom! I'll drive up there right now," I said quickly. We said our 'i love you's and goodbyes before hanging up and Sadie looked at me with her eyebrows cocked up expectantly.

"What happened?" She asked finishing up her salad. Suddenly I wasn't hungry anymore. I pushed my plate and grabbed my bottle of diet coke. I walked out fishing for my keys, and I heard Sadie knock over a chair chasing after me. "Hello?! What happened? Evan!" She said finally falling a little but catching herself on my elbow.

"I have to go to San Francisco, now. Apparently, my brother's in jail and I have to go now. I'll call Noah later," I said panicked finally crossing an alley to get to our apparent complex.

"Arrested for what?" Sadie asked short of breath as we walked up the three flights of stairs to get to apartment 3B, our apartment. I walked through our blue living area, tossed with magazines and ashtrays on our coffee table. Movies stacked around a shitty TV, and a brown leather couch, courtesy of Sadie's parents.

"I don't know, shit! I just have to go, like, now," I said grabbing a medium duffle bag and stuffing clothes in and tooth paste and a toothbrush. I tried to think of everything I would need, but nothing really came to mind, I just put in a brush and random toiletries. I realized Sadie wasn't behind me she was in her room. I grabbed my iPod and laptop and stuffed it as well. I ran to the fridge and grabbed a six pack of diet cokes, which was all that was in our fridge with the exception of apples and celery.

I grabbed my duffle bag and car keys, when I saw Sadie smirking holding a tote bag stuffed with clothes and her purse with random stuff in it. "What the fuck are you doing?" I asked, stopped in my tracks on our dark hardwood floor.

"Coming with you," she shrugged casually, I couldn't argue right now, I didn't have it in me. I looked around for a black shitty sedan instead Katie unlocked her powder blue Lexus SUV. "I'm not driving for six hours in your shitty little car praying it doesn't break down." She said with a little bit of stuck-up tone.

"Fuck you, don't diss the black widow, she's lethal, but she gets me where I need to go," I laughed getting into the passenger seat of car. I put the diet cokes near my feet where we could reach them easily.

"Black widow? Isn't that like a death spider or some shit," Sadie laughed putting on her oversized sunglasses. Truth about Sadie, she was poor, but her parents were rich so I'm not sure how that exactly works, but thank God she's pretty 'cause there's not a lot going on up there.

"Shut up, Kennedy named her," I smiled thinking about seeing him after all this time. In jail, but still it'd been a while. There was a knot in my stomach about seeing everyone. I was terrified and excited to see one person in particular.

"Is your brother hot?" She asked randomly, and I sighed. Six hours with her in the car.

"Sadie, he's my brother, ergo I cannot answer that question because I'm not an incestuous little freak. He has a girlfriend so you keep your slutty little paws off of him," I laughed slipping my ray-bans on my face. Sadie and I always joked around like this, and I think anyone just listening in would think we hated each other, but it's just how we are.

"Dude, you just said 'ergo'! You're from the south, you never know!" She defended, we pulled onto the highway and she gunned it. I buckled my seatbelt not as a precaution, but because I actually feared for my safety. "And I'm not a slut."

"Sadie," I said raising an eyebrow and turning on her CD and the sounds of All Time Low came blasting through the radio, I shook my head. Sadie was also in love with Alex Gaskarth to join James Franco in her stalker ways.

"I'm only a little slutty," she muttered and we laughed.

"It's okay, you're my slut," I smiled and she flicked me off. I hugged her obnoxiously since I had a seatbelt pulling me the other way and finally the excitement died down and there was only the sound of music and California rushing past us. We began the journey to my past. Sadie didn't really know anything besides a nameless boy had broken my heart and I didn't want to talk about it ever. She knew my brother was in a band and she thought I was one of those hipster kids. As far as Sadie was concerned I had no past and now she was about to meet it.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me what you think! i'm not completely sure where i'm going with this, but i have ideas :)