Tomorrow

Welcome Wagon, part deux

The man stared at the doctor, wondering if he had even heard his previous setence correctly.

"So, you're saying that he injected embalming fluid into her? As in 'let's puff up Aunt Susie for the funeral' embalming fluid?"

The doctor nodded somewhat, his arms crossed against his chest. "Kids use it now a days with PCP. Just let their joint or whatever soak in it. It gives them a good high. It causes delusions, loss of touch, and it can have several long term damages."

Raking his teeth with his tongue obsessively, Logan stood there, waiting for the man to get down there and say it. She wasn't going to be okay. That dirty son of a bitch injected too much in, and she was going to be permanently damaged for life.

"We were able to extract a good amount. it was easy from him just injecting. We pumped alot out. Judging by the knot on her head, Veronica was most likely knocked out from a blunt object, so not alot went into her body."

Raising his eyebrow in a questioning glance as his fingers danced in a melody against his arm, Logan stared at the doctor.

"She should be fine. Some hallecunations may still occur, and she could get bronchitis. However, it's not that serious now. She should be able to come home in a day. Her father-"

"He's in Vegas," Logan interuppted, breaking his gaze.

"I'm sure you'll be in contact," The greying man finished, giving the younger man a look under his glasses.

"Yeah, thanks, Doc."

The man nodded, walking off down the hall. She was still laying in the bed, almost dead asleep. Veronica had been since they brought her in on a stretcher, despite Logan's attempts to revive her. Sliding into the uncomfortable plastic of a nearby chair, Logan eased into his wait. The doctor wasn't truly sure when she would or could wake up, but had given him permission to sit in. Her physical appearance hadn't changed much over the year, though he was very sure she had gained a piercing. A year. It was hard to believe, wasn't it? As if the day she walked out was just yesterday.

He caught himself in bitter feelings, but so what? She had a career to pursue. And what did he have? Banking off a trust fund in little old Neptune. He had always known that she would leave, and yet he never seemed to fully let her go. No matter how hard the both of them tried to fool themselves, they loved each other. It had started, that junior year of high school.

Something like puppy love then, but it had progressed into something epic. He had saved her ass too many times to count, and she always seemed to falling back in to trouble. That's how it was supposed to be. She was supposed to be in reach, as she was now. Where he could protect her, and keep her from the supposable danger she always seemed to find. And even after all of that, he couldn't stay away. He couldn't watch her be destroyed.

Sometimes, he even wondered why. But then that small smile on her face that seemed to develop when she slept, the way her eyes sparkled, her scent lingering in his sheets. She always needed to be his, and he was going to keep that for himself. In the meanwhile, she wasn't waking up anytime soon, and he felt himself in need of a pudding cup. Trivial? Yes, but fully intune with the whole day. His ribs had been bruised, and he could still feel the swelling around his eye. He surely deserved that pudding cup.

"And the lady would like?"

He stood in the doorway, wondering what her appetite would crave whenever she decided to wake up. Drumming fingers in the air, he concluded an answer.

"Another pudding it is."

"Where are you going?" The scratchy voice was soft, but a little dizzy.

"Apparently, nowhere," Logan turned on his heel, coming back to her bed side. Her deep breath echoed throughout the beeping of the monitor, and stood there, hands jammed awkwardly in his pockets.

"Home sweet home," Veronica mumbled, lifting her arm, completely jammed with IV's, "And I was beginning to miss it."

Logan grabbed her free hand, rubbing her skin lightly as she gripped onto him.

"Well, little old Neptune always has a special greeting to every resident. I've already started on the fruit basket.".

A laugh caught in her throat, as her half tired eyes caught up with his. "You look like you went five rounds with a cinder block."

Logan run a hand through his hair, rolling his eyes at the same time. "You see, when you start putting me in fights with inanimate objects, I start to feel that blunt object to your skull still has effect."

She shook her head against the white pillow, feeling minimal throbbing as she did it. "Who was that guy?" Her gaze was soft, yet distinguished.

"Nobody you know," He paushed, clearing his throat, "Just some random druggie. Nothing out of the ordinary."

"You need to go get some rest. I'll be fine." His eyebrow raised at this. This, was out of the ordinary. She usually put up a fight, something he'd have to try his best not mouth her out over.

"Logan, don't call my dad." Again, an eyebrow raise. "He's got a big case, I don't want to worry him. I'll be fine once I get home. I forgot Dad took Backup to a kennel before I got here."

"I'm not letting you go home alone, with or without the raging fluffy ball of fur."

Veronica pulled down on his arm, taking a tighter grip.

"Don't force me-"

"You're very convincing in that hospital gown and all, but I highly doubt John Cena would take you up in a match."

"Logan!"

"You're coming home with me. I know you'll be okay there."

Did it always have to come to this? Did she always have to play back into his arms again? Or did he always seem to play her back into his arms? Again, those brown eyes got her. Hook and sinker. Logan Echolls was something she couldn't quit. No matter what, no matter how far she tried to get away. It was always right back in this hell hole of Neptune, right back to where he was. Did this mean something? Was she constantly destined to be pulled into his life? And if so, why? Why couldn't it be Josh Hartnett, or even that Gerard Butler guy?

"We'll see," she mumbled, becoming disgruntled in his fingers. Twisting her ties around, she finally let her hand rest on the side of the bed. "You know I can't stay in Neptune."

He gave that signature quick smile, before leaving a small kiss on her forehead. "See, I don't understand why you girls always overcalculate things. I'll bring you your stuff, later."

He walked backwards out of the door, giving that other signature grin. He was brooding, however, she could tell. It had pissed him off, of what she had said. Of course the question was, did she mean it?