Until Tomorrow

Goodbye

Jenna watched him from her place in the back of the room. Mason was her best friend. They had been buddies since she had moved to town in seventh grade. Why would it be her luck that she would end up one of those girls who fell in love with their best friend? It made her wish that her life was a movie. Maybe then she could have the famous Hollywood ending. She wanted that ending. It meant that she could go up to Mason and tell him how she felt and he would feel that way too. She knew that that wasn’t the way that it would work out though. Mason was in love with Sara Whitt and she was in no condition to tell anyone that she cared for them like that.

Her dad was being reassigned to the other coast. They were moving in a week. She just had to buck up and suffer through it as always. She looked down at her paper and saw that she had doodled on it again. She closed her notebook so that no one could see the little caricature of Mason kissing her on the cheek. The last thing she needed was for anyone to see that! She would never live it down and she wanted nice peaceful memories from her last week at school. Jenna crossed her arms on her desk and rested her head there intending to take a nap.

A shadow loomed over her. She opened one eye a slit and peeked up to see Mason. She prayed she wasn’t blushing as she sat up and grinned at him. “Hey Mason!” she said sitting up and grinning at him. “How have you been? I haven’t gotten to talk to you all day?”

He was grinning like an idiot. It sent alarm bells racing through her head. He was up to something. He had done something and the girlie-girl in her wasn’t going to like it one bit. She kept smiling though looking like a best friend genuinely interested in hearing what her buddy was up to. “It’s well...it’s Sara. She and I have decided to make it official. I just wanted to tell you first you know since...well you are my best friend and you did hook us up.” It was true, like an idiot she had introduced the two of them, even after she had realized what Mason actually meant to it. At first it had been her way of telling herself that she was just being silly. No it was her way of paying penance.

“What are friends for?” Jenna asked smiling. Inside it felt like her heart was breaking. She supposed that this was all, as they said: for the best, but that didn’t make doing it any easier.

“I’m sorry that you’re leaving Jenn. I know that...you know none of us want you to go. You’re one of us,” he said waving vaguely to the other students chattering behind him.

Jenna shrugged as if it didn’t matter. It did matter though. “It’ll be alright Mason. We’ll right and one day maybe we’ll get together again. This isn’t the end of the world after all.” How many times had she said those exact same words? It hurt so much more this time though. The bell rang and Jenna stood up throwing her bag over her shoulder. “You’re my best friend Mason,” she said clapping him on the shoulder. “I’m not going to forget you.” Mason nodded and turned when he heard Sara call his name. Jenna rolled her eyes and shoved him. “Go get your girl,” she ordered watching him run off.

She waited until everyone had left before she cried.