Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

a beauty that doesn’t make sense

His blue eyes stare at me, daring me to move. Accepting it, I take a step back. I look over at my friends and they have already gone to that diner; of course, without me. Probably not on purpose, though. They don't even look back as they obey their stomachs.

“I saw that.”

“Saw what?” I ask, looking back at him. He looks to be around my age, or maybe a bit younger.

“You can do magic. Don’t deny it, because I know you did. Those sleeping bags aren’t supposed to shrink like that. And I heard you talking to that guy; you’re running away, aren’t you?”

“That’s just a joke,” I say, barely even believing my own lies.

“Well, you sounded pretty serious about it. And I’ve never seen you around here before. I would know if I did, cause this is a pretty small town. Everyone knows everyone. I know you’re not new either, cause there would be no where for you to move in,” he says. The sun rises higher in the sky, reflecting off of his shiny hair. “So I guess I’ll have to tell the police about you. They were just here, so it wouldn’t be that easy to find them again…”

My heart beats faster. “You wouldn’t.”

“Why not?” he says, narrowing his eyes. “I don’t know you. You don’t know me. It won’t have any effect on anything.”

“I’m not hurting you or anything.”

“You’re lying to me. That’s just as bad.” He pushes his long blond hair from his eyes. It’s only a little bit shorter than my own hair.

“You don’t understand. I have to get away…” Plans start forming in my head. Should I run? What would he do if I just took off? I start talking small steps backward.

“Take me with you.” His words take me off guard, and I almost trip over my own feet.

“…what?” I ask, thinking that I didn’t hear him correctly.

“I want to go with you, wherever you’re going,” he says. “Either that or I’m calling the police. Your choice.”

“They’ll never believe you,” I say, my voice wavering. Maybe I should go warn Lorraine and Dean before something actually happens… But if I go, he’ll report us. If I don’t, they’re in danger. They have no idea what’s going on here.

“Well, my mom was watching the news yesterday. There’s three people missing from somewhere in Connecticut. Usually these things only show up on the local news, so someone must want you back real bad,” he says, narrowing his eyes. “I bet it was you. It was, wasn’t it? Maybe they won’t believe about the magic thing, but they will believe that you are those missing kids.”

Anger starts to build up inside me. Why, why would I do this? Why would he do this? I haven’t done anything to him. I don’t owe him anything, and doesn’t he know not to talk to strangers?

Take him. Marigold’s words ring in my ears, even though her voice is only heard inside my head.

Now even she’s being strange. Why should I take him? He is certainly not one of the Crystallarians, or she would have said so already. He would just be a threat to our safety.

Her voice is gone, because it doesn’t answer me. I debate with whether to take the strange boy or escape. Marigold had told me to take him, but what does she know? She’s trapped in time, barely able to think for herself.

“Why do you want to go with us?” I ask him, stalling for time to think. Lorraine and Dean are probably wondering where I am, and it won’t be long before they come looking for me. It will probably just add more complications…

“I just… I need to get away,” he says, averting his eyes. “The exact reason isn’t important.”

“You’re going to regret it,” I tell him. “You might feel like this now, but you’ll probably change your mind. It’s not a good idea.”

“It doesn’t seem like you regret it. And I know I won’t. Even if I do, I can just turn myself in. I’ll be taken home and you’ll be fine.”

“I guess…” His plan does seem reasonable, but he’d just be an extra. Unless he knows something… that would explain why Marigold thinks he’s important enough to take with us.

And if he decides to turn himself in, he could somehow be linked back to us. Then our cover would be blown and we really would be done for.

“So what’s it going to be?” he asks, shifting his weight from one leg to the other. “I don’t have all day…”

Actually, now I wish Lorraine and Dean were here. They could help me decide what’s best for us, and what answer to give him. It seems to be a dead end either way.

“Fine.” The words escape from my lips before I have time for the thought to register in my brain. I can’t believe I said it. But the word is out there, and I can’t take it back.

When he hears this, his large blue eyes widen and he smiles. I notice a certain prettiness in his face, a beauty that doesn’t make sense for someone like him. I feel the need to protect him, to make sure nothing hurts him… but looks aren’t everything.

And I may have made the biggest mistake yet.