Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

before she severely injures my ribcage

I walk out of the bathroom after Lorraine to find the boys still sitting side-by-side in an awkward silence. We slide back into our seat and pick up our menus. I make the decision to order pancakes as Lorraine gently nudges me with her elbow. I shake my head only a fraction of a degree, hoping that she understands that I mean "not yet". It makes me feel terrible promising him a new life... and then taking it away from him so soon.

But now that I think about it, wouldn't it be for the better? He doesn’t know us, and what if we end up hating each other? It would just cause more complications, and there’s no telling what he would do. We don’t know him at all, or the things he’s capable of. Also, there would be nothing to do with him - not possibly take him into a world where he doesn't belong.

Yet I want to. I want to take him with us - I can look at his face and feel happy that he’s safe. But it’s just his looks - his personality doesn't seem to be the best. No one's perfect...

Except for me.

The thought comes every once in a while, and I feel proud every time - like I’m better than everyone. Because I used to be perfect, and soon, I will be again.

You were.

And then Marigold’s thought brings me back to Connor. She told me to take him with us – do I listen to her or Lorraine? Why am I supposed to take him anyways? There must be some reasoning, but I can’t figure it out at all.

She doesn’t respond, like usual. It seems as if she’s getting weaker, or not in my thoughts as much as she was before. Maybe she’s bored, not being able to do anything. In her situation, I know I would be bored as hell, just stuck there, nothing happening in the slightest.

Lorraine prods me with her elbow once more, and this time I know that something has to be said before she severely injures my ribcage.

“So… Connor. Do you know why the police were at the park this morning?

“Yes,” he says, not giving any other information and just looking at his menu (that he took from Dean).

“And…?” I ask.

“They were looking for me.” We all give him a weird, questioning look. “I ran away, obviously.” He says it as if it’s no big deal. But I can see that he truly is scared. Not terrified, but at least worried. Maybe that’s why he wanted to come with us so badly – in case something happens to him. He’ll have someone to fall back on. And he won’t ever have to deal with the fear of being alone. Maybe he does mean well. Maybe he just wants friends to… travel with.

“So, why do you actually want to come with us?”

“It… I just do, okay? Plus, you can do magic. I saw it. It’s going to be better that way.”

Lorraine gives me an alarmed look. Although I told her that he figured out who we were, I didn’t mention the fact that he knows about our magical abilities. I expect another jab in the ribcage for this… but it doesn’t come.

“You don’t even know where we’re going,” I point out. “That’s probably not a good idea.”

“Well, I think it’s a good idea. And it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s not here. Anywhere but here.”

“Well, what supplies did you bring?”

“Uhm… a hundred dollars.” He avoids eye contact, as if ashamed by this fact.

“That’s it?” I ask. I wonder if he thought it through, like us, or just decided to leave. I figure that it’s the latter, seeing his lack of organization. “Do you even know where you’re going to sleep and stuff?”

“No, but you don’t either. I saw you guys sleeping on those benches.”

“We… well, at least we have clothes, and other stuff.” Lorraine jabs me this time, harder, as if asking why I didn’t tell him the news yet. Dean is just sitting and staring blankly, but I know that something is going on in his head. “Plus, we almost found a place to stay, anyways.”

“And that would be…”

“This person’s house. They’re on vacation,” I say, not sure why I’m telling him all this instead of just telling him to leave. If we want to get away, it’s better not to tell him where we’re going to be. But I just can’t make myself shut up.

“Wow. Classy.” The idea of us breaking and entering doesn’t seem to shock him though. Probably because we already broke the law by running away. He probably doesn’t think anything is below us anymore.

“Uh, yeah…” I just look at him, not knowing what else to say. His blond hair kind of reminds me of Jesse… But it’s better not to think about that.

“Have you figured out how to get in yet?”

“Not really…” I admit. I still don’t know why I can’t stop talking, can’t stop spilling all of our information.

“Would this person… Would they happen to live in house number forty-two?” he asks, suddenly smiling.

“Yeah?” I wonder what he has to say about it, and if it is good news or not. But from the way his face shines, I can only guess that it is positive.

“I know how to get in.”