Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

the sunshine is disappearing

“My… mother?” I ask, aware that I am speaking to no one.

The voice disappears as quickly as it has come. Probably just a product of my over excitement. I ignore this and get back to checking over my outfit. I had never imagined things would be like this, on my thirteenth birthday. I just thought that it would be like every other year, sitting at home, on the phone with Leilani.

This year will be perfect, and then I remind myself that it already is. Jesse was the only thing I would wish for, and now I have him - and more. My life will be so much better. I know it. Everything will be…

Dana. The voice drags me out of my fantasies, and for the first time I wonder if I’m not actually hearing things.

“Go away,” I snap, wishing to get back to my daydreaming.

Dana, since you’re thirteen now, I can explain everything to you. And now, I’m really starting to wonder if I’m insane.

“Go away,” I repeat.

First sign of insanity – talking back to the voices in your head. Actually, the first sign would be actually hearing the voices. I sit down on my unmade bed, trying to focus my thoughts elsewhere.

Dana, this is important. I have been waiting to contact you for all these years.

You’re not real, I tell it. Please, get the fuck out of my head. (gotta be polite, right?)

Of course I am. My name is Marigold Crystal, and I am your mother.

But my mother is downstairs, working on a new article for the newspaper. Surely she hasn’t discovered some new way to contact me? Maybe that’s what she’s writing about… No. Magic doesn’t exist.

No, Dana. Or as I should say, Diana. Your name is Diana Crystal. In your past lifetime, you were a fairy. A fairy princess. You were the most powerful and beautiful person around.

Well, that’s just strange. Thought I do admit to having dreams about that, when I was younger. And I am quite a sucker for a fairytale. But I gave up on magic years ago. This is real life.

The term “fairy” just makes me think of those little fairies that live in flowers. I really don’t think that’s quite me…

Not like that. That definition of the term fairy is incorrect. Fairies are like humans, with not many differences. The only major difference is that they have the ability to control magic, and have two forms. One with wings, one without.

That seems a bit more… plausible. And at the same time, so impossible. When I was younger, I was always told that I had an overactive imagination. Maybe it’s just coming back, with all this excitement. I know I’m not crazy – it just doesn’t happen. It might to other people, but not me. Never me.

You’ve been sent to Earth for a rebirth after the disaster of our planet. Today, our planet is frozen in time, and it shall stay like that until you come to save us.

By now I’m really starting to feel uneasy. I wonder if I should tell someone, or just ignore it. I might end up doing something I wish I hadn’t…

You and your friends have all been sent to Earth together, and you must make it back to our planet, Crystallaria. I’d send you help… but there’s no way to contact anyone else.

Interesting.

You know that girl, Lorraine?

And it would be a wonder if I didn’t know her. No one can miss her. A small girl with long, thick lashes, all the other girls envy her. Ever since moving here about a month ago, she’s been accepted into all the social circles.

She lived in your past lifetime, as your best friend; you must bring her back with you, along with many other people. I don’t know where they are in the world, but as you get closer to them, it will become clear as to who is, and isn’t, a part of your group.

I really wish that this voice would just shut up. Yet it sounds familiar, like I’ve heard it before. Although it might just be my subconscious speaking, and I’m sure that I’ve heard that voice before.

Maybe this will help you believe me.

I stand there, wondering what the hell I’m supposed to be looking at. Looking outside, I see that the sunshine is disappearing. Not a good day to be wearing a dress.

The wind picks up, whistling as it hits the house. Dark clouds start to form, and rain starts to beat down. All in less than a minute. I bring my face closer to the glass, watching in fascination.

Suddenly, a flash of light blinds me, followed by a low rumbling. A thunderstorm. It’s only been two minutes, and the storm is raging. The lighting flashes again, the light blue.

And there in the sky… The word Diana. Clearly written in blue lightning, it lingers there and slowly fades away. I gasp. This causes me to inhale too much dust, which causes me to cough. What a moment ruiner…

Now I’m sure I’m not hallucinating. It’s all too real. That means… this voice is telling the truth. Or maybe, deep inside, I just want to believe it. Maybe it’s what I’m meant to be.

My phone, sitting on the edge of my bed, vibrates. I check to see that I have a new message from Jesse.

hey, gotta cancel the party ): mom says the weather is too bad. sorry

I text back with an “okay” and a sad face. Then I decide that I really don’t want to believe it.

Thanks for ruining my birthday.