Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

that wave of homesickness

"This... is really nice," Elise says.

"Oh, thanks," Lynda says breezily. "It's all mine too."

"Lucky," Lorraine says.

"Yup," Lynda replies, absently cracking her knuckles. "It used to be an apartment."

Lynda - the girl from the café - apparently lives all by herself in a huge house. Personally, I would find it a bit creepy...

The main entrance is a high-ceilinged hallway, the walls a clean white color. Neutral paintings of landscapes hang on the wall.

"You live here alone?" Connor asks.

"Well, officially, my residence is my parents' house. But I asked them for this, so they bought me it."

"Just like that?"

"Uh-huh."

When we had told her our story, she didn't seem to truly believe it, Elise had said. But she offered a place for us to stay nonetheless. A nice place, too.

"Do whatever you want," she says, waving her hand like it's no big thing. "My room is the top floor, so you just can't take that."

"This place must be great for parties," Cody says, a hint of envy in his voice.

"Huh?" Lynda says, appearing confused for a second. But then she gives herself a little shake. "Oh yeah, parties. I throw those all the time. I mean, I also get invited to them a lot, too. Especially tonight, you know."

"Why tonight?" I wonder out loud.

She tilts her head to the side and looks at my curiously. "It's New Years Eve, isn't it?"

I'm actually quite surprised to hear that. Through all of the rushing and panic today, I had forgotten about the upcoming holiday.

"Are you going to one?" I ask. "A party, I mean."

"Nah," she says, leading us to a living room with a huge flat screen TV. "Too many to choose from. Wouldn't want anyone to get jealous or anything."
"I see."

"Yeah." She pauses, looking for something to say to us. But then she smiles at us, showing off huge metal braces. "You guys can go pick your rooms. Stay as long as you want.”

"Do you want to share a room?" Lorraine asks me once we walk away from her. "I mean, if there's two beds in one room. No point in sharing a bed anymore, is there?"

"Yeah, but I wonder why she's being so nice. And I can't believe this is all hers."

"I can't believe it either," Lorraine answers, as we walk up a staircase. "I mean, I believe that this place is hers, or she wouldn't have taken us here. But like... the parties. No offense to her, but she really doesn't look like the partying type."

We turn around to look at her before continuing to walk up the stairs. Her attire consists of blue jeans, a white T-shirt, and a huge turquoise sweatshirt over that. Comfort clothes - not exactly fashionable.

"I guess not," I say, leaning against the railing to let Dean and Ashlee pass by. "I guess she did look a little like she was faking it... maybe she's just shy?"

"I dunno," Lorraine says. "Let's just go find a room."

We walk up to the second floor of the huge house to find a room, not wanting to walk any further to get there. We open each door (as they are unlocked) and peek in. All of the rooms are beautifully decorated (Lynda's doing? If so, her decorating skills are much better than her fashion) with something different as a theme. The ocean, plain colors, flowers...

Lorraine chooses a daisy-themed room, claiming it makes her feel more relaxed. Plus, there are two beds in it, separated by a nightstand. I look around the room, analyzing my environment.

The wallpaper is daisy patterned with vertical dark and light blue stripes. All the furniture is built of a light colored wood. And the floor... the floor is off-white carpet. Just like Leilani's.

Pushing away that wave of homesickness, I search through my bag for the map, deciding to plan ahead and at least keep myself occupied. Lorraine goes to see what everyone else is doing, and what we’re going to do for dinner.

I continue searching for the map to no avail and I wonder how the hell it can hide in a bag that isn’t even that big. Ten minutes later, there's a soft knock on the door.

"Come in," I say. I decide to just dump everything out on my bed. The map lands on top of the pile of various objects. I start to unfold it as the door opens and Connor peeks in.

"Hey, everyone's already eating. You coming?" he asks.

"Uh, I don't think so," I respond, smoothing the map out on the comforter. "Not really hungry."

"But you're the one that's hungry all the time at night and ate everything in sight," he teases. "It’s what you always used to do with…”

“You can say it, you know.”

“Uh, it’s what you always did with Cody. Your favorite activity. I just thought maybe you wouldn’t like hearing it…”

“It’s okay,” I say honestly. “It doesn’t bother me.”

“Okay then. So why aren’t you up for it now? Something wrong?”

“No.”

"Oh. You sure?" he asks again.

"No," I admit, looking up from my map. He enters the room and places himself down on Lorraine's bed, facing me.

"Can I help? I mean, it's New Years' Eve and all."

"Why would you want to anyways?" I ask, genuinely curious. "I thought guys didn't care."

He shifts around uncomfortably in his seat and gazes down into his lap. "A lot of guys down... but I do."

And there’s the difference between him and his brother. Cody might pretend he cares or just brush it off, but I can tell that Connor is sincere. He’s the kind of person that can’t lie. Yet I’m still wondering, “Why?”

“Well, why wouldn’t I care? And after this morning…”

“Oh.” I was hoping he had forgotten. It wasn’t one of my proudest moments…

“I don’t think that’s what’s bothering you though.”

“It isn’t.” I realize that it is actually nice to talk to someone. And I had forgotten how much I do like Connor as a person.

“Do you want to tell me? It’s okay if you don’t.”

“Uh…” I force myself to look away, to avoid eye contact. “I kinda miss home, I guess.”

“"Yeah, I guess it's hard to leave your whole life behind. Like everything you ever knew." I notice his voice is still somewhat high pitched, not yet fully changed, unlike his brother. But somehow, I realize don't want it to change. It fits him, strangely.

“It wasn’t so hard for you,” I say. I toy with the corners of the paper, rolling them up around my finger and still trying not to look at him.

"Uh, yeah, I guess not," he says vaguely.

"Why?"

His eyes dart around the room, possibly looking for an escape from this probably dreaded question. But he clears his throat and says, "I'll tell you... one day."

"You don't have to," I say, not wanting to push it.

"No, I will. Just not now." He stands up. "Hey, I gotta get back downstairs. They probably think you raped me or something."

"I could do so much better,” I say, and I can't help but smile. Connor leaves the room, but a few seconds later, he sticks his head back in.

"I'll save you something if you decide to come down, okay?"

"'Kay. Thanks."

"You're welcome." He smiles at me one last time and then quickly shuts the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
First update in a few days, also the first time I have access to a laptop. Don't know if I'll be able to post more, but here you go.

Question time - So far, who is your favorite character?