Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

none of that lusting passion

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you...

I never liked the tune of that song. Too generic for my taste. But today, it just keeps replaying in my head. And it's annoying.

It's February twenty-eighth. Also known as the day I was born. But not the day I was truly born...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel any different, any bit more special than I usually do. Either way, Lorraine seems to think it's special, when I keep remind her it's not.

I don't think I'm one of those people who hate birthdays either. People wishing me to have a happy birthday aren't annoying, not at all. It's just not really my thing. Last year, however, was a different story. With all the magic and the shocking stories, I'll always remember it.

Last year, I woke up on my messy bed, the sunlight falling on my face in a blinding way. This year, I woke up in a luxurious bedroom, with daisies scattered all around me. So different, yet I feel so the same.

Maybe it hasn't fully hit me that I'm not at home... and I never will be again. But is that house still my home? Maybe it is. Maybe my home is here, with my friends. Maybe my home is back on the planet of Crystallaria, where my soul really belongs...

----Image

"Open it!" Everyone chants this quite cheerfully, even though they're all kneeling on the hardwood floor - probably uncomfortable. I don't see the need of them to be gathered around me like this, but hey, it's their lives.

I peel back the shiny pink wrapping paper, not wanting to rip it for the sake of whoever so beautifully wrapped it. But it probably was just wrapped at the store.

I sigh and just tear off the paper in one motion, dropping it on the floor. A small blue box reveals itself.

"Jewelry?" I ask, confused. I had never been much of a jewelry person, not ever, and I’m not starting now.

"Yeah," Lorraine says. "Just open it."

I obey her and flip open the lid of the box. Sitting inside, on a white cushion, is a silver bracelet.

"It's a charm bracelet," Ashlee says. "Just like the one I used to have, but I left mine at my house. Isn't it pretty?"

"Yeah," I say, not particularly excited, yet not disappointed either. "Thanks, everyone."

"It was really Lynda who paid for it, though," Cody says. "'Cause we're all, you know, pretty much broke."

"Thanks, Lynda," I say, rocking in my chair. "It really is pretty."

"Oh, it was nothing," she says, brushing it off just like everything else in her glamorous life. "Look at the charm, though."

I lift the chain from its cushion. Attached to it is a simple, diamond-encrusted crown. My lips curl up into a huge smile. It's probably just pretty to anyone else. But to me, it just reminds me of who I used to be... and how close I am to getting it all back.

"I picked it out," Lorraine says smugly.

"But we all agreed that it would fit you," Connor interjects.

"Thanks, everyone," I repeat, and getting tired of the two words. But I do want them to know that I am grateful for it.

Then the doorbell rings and Aaron shouts, "Food’s here!" In ten seconds, everyone seems to have forgotten about me and the room is cleared. Dean glances back at me and raises an eyebrow, but eventually he just turns and leaves.

I look down at my bracelet, turning it over in my palm. Though I do like it, I have to admit to myself that I will probably lose it at one point. The money could have been spent on something else, but I guess it’s too late now.

The smell of hot pizza finally reaches me and my stomach decides to grumble loudly at this. I get up from my rocking chair and head into the kitchen, since everyone is too lazy to use the fancy dining room.

Halfway there, I meet Connor in the hallway. “Hey,” he says. “I came to see if you were coming or not.”

“Of course I am.”

“Yeah, you’re not really one to pass up a meal.”

“Are you calling me fat?”

“…yes.”

I roll my eyes at him. “Hold on, let me put on the bracelet first.” I place the chain on my wrist, trying to get the clasp while one-handed. It repeatedly falls to one side.

“Here,” Connor says, and he quickly fastens the chain around my wrist. I look down at it, wondering why he could do that and I can’t. I fix my eyes on the charm for a few seconds, just watching it dangle there.

When I look back up, I see him looking at me, and I get the strangest feeling of déjà vu.
“Something on my face?” I ask, and I also find these words familiar. I can’t place them, though I know I should be able to…

“No, you’re good.”

Then it hits me, the reason why this whole situation is familiar. The way he’s looking at me. The self-conscious question. The same family… Why do they have to be brothers? It could just be me, but the Pearson family sure seems to be very attractive…

He’s still looking at me, and I’m looking at him. We’re not gazing into each other’s eyes, we are simply looking at each other. Seconds pass and I wonder if anything will happen at all. He moves an inch closer, but that’s it. His blue eyes seem to be questioning, and that’s when my patience runs out.

I close my eyes and lean in.

This is nothing like Cody, not at all. Though he returns my kiss, it’s not magical. There are no fireworks. There is none of that lusting passion. But it sends the heat to my cheeks like it never had before.

“I, uh…” he says against my lips, stumbling over his words like his brother never did. It’s awkward, but cute. Not romantic, but cute.

I pull away and smile at him. “Happy birthday to me, huh?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure how I feel about this chapter, though. Any thoughts for me?

Most favorite character of readers seems to be Dean. Personally, I don't have a favorite.

So, who is your least favorite character?