Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

the fairytale that I was promised

"I am not going."

"You have to," Lorraine says, her voice as sharp as the blade of a knife.

"I won't," Sarah states, her orange-red eyes flaring. "Never."

"That's okay," Lorraine says, her voice softer than I had expected. She turns away and Sarah falls backwards onto the bed, a scowl on her face.

"That's good," Sarah says. It's clear that she was expecting more of a fight. "I wasn't gonna go with you anyways."

"Like I said, that's okay," Lorraine replies. "It's cool. I mean... if you want to be trapped in that volcano again. Then that's fine."

Sarah knows that Lorraine has her beaten. The fire in her eyes slowly dies out as we wait for her to respond. "Will it really happen?"

"Who knows," Lorraine says, folding a shirt and placing it in her suitcase. "I just think it's better not to take any chances... if you know what I mean."

And we do know what she means. While everyone has somewhat recovered, we know that the damage will be permanent, and we know we can never truly get over it. And as for Elise...

We don't know where she disappears to everyday. When we wake up, we find her empty bed, cold and lonely. And all day, she's missing until about ten o'clock, when she returns and goes straight to sleep. We worry... but it may be better to just let her be.

On terms of magic, the group is lacking Aaron's expertise. While he specialized in heat magic, his skills were undoubtedly useful. He taught us ways to manipulate our skills.

"We're leaving tomorrow," Lorraine announces, though everyone is fully aware of this. "So pack up. I'm not responsible for all your stuff."

"I don't have any stuff," Sarah says, pouting. "You've kept me locked up in this room so no one could find me. It's been torture.”

"We should go to the beach today," Lorraine says, looking out the window at the bright morning sun, as if she never heard Sarah. "As like, a last day thing."

If she had said this two months ago, when we arrived in Hawaii, there would be a loud chorus of "yeah!"s, the loudest from Aaron. But this is now. Not two months ago.

"What about me?" Sarah asks, her scowl returning. "Gonna lock me up with a spell or something?"

"No," Lorraine says. "You're coming with us."

Sarah widens her eyes in disbelief, but then I can almost see the escape plan formulating in her head. "Finally."

"But don't even try escaping," Lorraine says darkly. "You don't even want to know what happens then."

----Image

The hot summer sun beats down on us, challenging our sweat glands. For Lorraine, this means only one thing - head straight for the water.

Sarah's everlasting sour expression sweetens a bit as she watches Lorraine go. Lynda and Wessley move in on her.

We had disguised her - her golden blonde hair is now dark brown and straight, her fiery eyes now cool and blue. Her face is covered up by huge sunglasses, so there is no need to change much.

Her body remains unchanged. A couple of shirtless guys walk by, staring at her. She folds her arms over her chest, concealing her boobs as if she’s insecure about them (which I know from experience that she’s not).

"Dana, over here!" Connor calls from about thirty feet away. While I was examining Lorraine's work on Sarah, Cody and Connor had set up beach chairs under a large red umbrella.

I walk over to them, taking a seat in the chair next to Connor's. I am instantly grateful for the cooling shade.

A girl in a white floral dress walks by, reminding me of Leilani. Her face reminds me of someone else I used to know. The way she walks is familiar. I let my mind drift back to the past... something I had once feared would happen.

I remember the day I had met Leilani - the first day of fourth grade. She was the new girl, and her social status would depend on one day. We were young, but we still judged - as people of all ages are.

She was sweet-looking even then, the first day I knew her. Her black hair was braided into pigtails, and I noticed that she smiled a lot, showing huge dimples.

The "popular" crowd - or at least the fourth grade equivalent - had already decided that she wasn't to be one of them. She was too loud, she talked too much.

I didn't talk to her during the school day. She didn't particularly interest me. She was no different than anyone else.

It was not until after school ended that I finally talked to her. We boarded the bus - I was almost the first one on, and she was the last. It was either sit next to me or take an empty seat alone.

I remember her smiling at me, her white teeth contrasting with her olive skin as she slipped into the seat beside me and started chattering about who knows what. The rest, as they say, is history.

I feel a sharp stabbing in my heart as I realize how much i do miss her. I had tried so hard to keep these memories, these feelings, locked away. It won't be long before I start missing home - and the life I used to have.

With tremendous mental force, I shove the memories back into their safe and turn the key. I try to distract myself and think about something else, but the thoughts lurk in the edges of my mind.

I force myself to focus on the present. I never thought that I would be here now - an average girl from Connecticut sitting next to an adorable boy from Pennsylvania. In Hawaii.

The thought is nice - relaxing on the beautiful beaches of a tropical paradise. It's the fairytale that I was promised a year ago. But that's only if you fail to look beneath the surface.

I wonder what life would be like if I stayed at home. Sure, my face would change - but I could just avoid any questions about it. By staying, I could have saved a life. It all started with me, after all…

A group of teenagers about my age walks along the shore. They kick and splash at each other, laughing and having the time of their lives.

We should be just like them. The little group of adventurers shouldn't be worried. We're still young, and we should be having the time of our lives.

We shouldn't be wearing disguises all the time. We shouldn't have to lurk in the shadows, hiding everywhere we go. We shouldn't be silent when we should be laughing. We shouldn't be mourning a completely unnecessary death.

We shouldn't be terrified to be next.