Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

she will always keep on fighting

I sling my bag over my shoulder, walking up the steps. I search for the number 345 and insert the key into the lock. The lock turns and the door opens to reveal a dark, musty-smelling room.

I set my bag on the rough blankets sitting on the bed. It happens automatically, as if I have been doing this for my whole life. Well, for the last three months, at least.

Lorraine walks in after me and does the same as I did. She falls back onto the bed and groans.

"When is this ever going to end?"

"Soon, I hope." I flick on the light. "But we've been saying that for... forever."

"Only been three months," Lorraine mumbles. "I'm just glad we have Lynda. Seriously."

"Yeah, I know."

"She’s done everything for us," Lorraine remarks. "We owe her. So much."

"Nothing we can really do to repay her," I say. "Not in money or anything, at least."

"There is that thing..." When she says this, I know exactly what she is talking about. Elise and Wessley.

I walk into the bathroom to inspect it before answering. It doesn't look so bad. "I don't think it would be repaying her, really."

"I would want to know," Lorraine says, following me. She makes a face at herself in the mirror. "Then... I would dump his ass."

"But that's you," I say. I turn on the hot water. "Lynda just... wouldn't."

"I know. And then, what would we do with him if she did? He’s only here for Lynda, anyways."

The water takes a few minutes to heat up. When it finally does, it stings my cold hands - but at least they aren't cold anymore.

"I told everyone to meet us here in ten minutes," Lorraine says, walking back into the bedroom. "Something has to be done."

We unpack our few belongings and wait for the knock on the door. It comes as I'm zipping up my bag. Lorraine opens the door and the teenagers flood in.

"Group meeting," Lorraine announces, as if it isn't already obvious. Everyone finds a place to sit - on the beds, in a chair, on the floor.

I find it strange and interesting that no one says anything, no one protests. No one even whispers to each other. Weird for a group of teenagers.

Then I realize that we aren't actually teenagers anymore - we are merely the ghosts of them.

Teenagers are supposed to be carefree, to want to have fun all the time, We're supposed to be stupid and reckless. But the stress of living the way we are has demolished all of that.

"Why are we even here?" Elise sighs. There is no fight left in her. And when Aaron died, we knew that she died along with him. So cliché, but so true. "It's gonna be the same things over and over. We're done. It's over."

"It's not over 'til we're dead." When Lorraine speaks that last word, a chill crawls up my spine.

"Well, we're gonna be dead pretty soon," Cody mutters. "We're almost out of money, right?"

Everyone looks to Lynda, the 'banker' in our group. Surprisingly, she smiles.

"Not quite," she says. No one reacts much. Staying in the game for a little longer might not actually be that desirable. We're at a dead end.

"Great," Cody says. "We can live for a little longer! Just stay alive to be bored!"

"What do you mean, Lynda?" Lorraine asks, ignoring Cody. She looks genuinely interested, and I know that she will always keep on fighting.

"Well, I stole my bag from Chelsea," Lynda says. "You all know that. I didn't really like it, but it's the right size and everything. So yeah. Anyways, I found a hidden pocket."

"And..."

"Chelsea kept some of her diamond jewelry in it..." Lynda says, her light green eyes brightening. "Not some. A lot, actually."

"That's awesome!" Lorraine almost shouts. "How much do you think it's worth?"

Lynda cracks her knuckles. "Not sure. But I'll have to find out and sell it."

Lorraine nods. "Keep it safe. That's our life right there."

"Wouldn't be if we just got to Katalina," Cody mumbles. "She must have a lot of money for us."

"And how do you suppose we do that?" Lorraine snaps. "We've tried so many times to talk to her, and all she does is threaten to call security."

"I dunno, kidnap her?"

Lorraine is about to answer him when her annoyed expression turns into a thoughtful one. "Not a bad idea," she remarks. Everyone reacts in alarm to her words.

"There's no way in hell we can pull that off!"

"Yeah, we'll get caught."

"It just won't feel right."

"Don't you see?" Lorraine raises her voice over everyone else's. "If we succeed, we've got her. Maybe not her money or anything, but we have her. We can move on."

"And if we get caught?"

"Then we get caught. Remember, we're not adults, so we can't really be punished as adults. I expect they'll just send us home, to the US. At least we'll be alive."

Everyone starts to lighten up to the idea, but Elise and Ashlee still oppose.

"Too risky," Elise says, shaking her head.

"And it just doesn't feel right," Ashlee adds.

"But it's our only choice," Lorraine says. Then she addresses everyone. "So who here is good at researching and won’t get bored as hell while doing it?"

No one raises their hand or speaks out in any way.

"I think this is wrong," Andrew states finally. "And why do you need researchers?"

"To look up where Katalina lives and everything. Stalk her, basically. I’m too lazy to do it myself. I’d never be able to find it anyways."

"That's not right."

"Well, Andrew," Lorraine says, brushing her hair back behind her ears, "what other choice do we have?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate school.