Sequel: Twisted Returns
Status: Complete - 71,220 words

Shattering Crystals

when I say forever, I mean it

"I am so over this pregnancy thing," Lorraine says, rubbing her round belly. It's been six months since we arrived in Bermuda. Lorraine is about eight months pregnant, according to her.

"At least he doesn't have AIDS or something," I say, thinking back to the time we had health class and those pamphlets passed out about safe sex. Maybe one of those pamphlets would have helped Lorraine...

"True," she says, sighing. "My own fault..."

I can't say anything to that, because she's right. But I force out something anyways. "At least... Cody was okay about it?"

"I'm not sure if okay is the right word." She sighs again. But that's not really my main concern... I just want to know if my baby's okay."

"I'm sure it will be."

"You don't know for sure. And that's not all, either. Everywhere I go, people give me dirty looks. Like I'm a fucking slut or something."

"I thought you never cared about what other people thought."

"I don't," she says. "It just reminds me of all the other stories of teen pregnancy. They always think they're so in love, and they don't realize they aren't... until it's too late."

"Uhh..."

"What I mean to say is," she continues, "at the time it feels so right. But you get older, you regret things. What if I'm exactly like that?"

"But you're not," I say automatically. I don't even know if it's true. There's no way to tell for sure, but I just don’t see that happening to her.

"Well, it's too late now. I'm just really lucky we'll be back in the magical world before this kid is born... I could never imagine what would happen if we were still stuck here, on Earth."

"Good thing, then," I say.

"Anyways, we should pack up. The portal will open tomorrow."

----Image

We look strange. That I know.

Of course, it isn't everyday that a group of teenagers with (expensive) suitcases stands around on a beach.

"Leave your bags here," Lorraine says, pointing to an empty bench. "I'll stay here and watch them... enjoy your last day on Earth."

She avoids Wessley's eyes when she says this. Because ahead of him is a whole lifetime of days on Earth, free of memories of magic. Lorraine's eyes fall on Lynda's pale face and she quickly looks away. The one she loves is going to be ripped away from her. The worst part is that could have been me.

I sneak a sideways glance at Connor, and I see him looking at me. Smiling. We both know where we'll be for this last day - the place the truly belongs to us.

As everyone disassembles, Connor and I walk side by side along the shore. I kick off my blue flip-flops in Lorraine's direction and she screams some not very nice words at me.

My bare feet (which seem to have shrunken a few sizes) know exactly where to go. Connor and I don't speak, but the silence is in no way awkward, like the early stages of our relationship. We know who we are.

The air is about room temperature, meaning no swimming in the ocean for us. But we don't have to cover up much, either. Everyone is comfortable in rolled up jeans and t-shirts.

The smell of the sea fills my lungs as we enter the cave. It's a bit warmer in here, and much more humid. There isn't anything so special about this place, but I love it here. I lean against the wall, only to find out that it's wet with salt water. I jump away and Connor laughs.

He takes out a knife from his pocket. Anyone in this situation would be immediately threatened, but I can see by the red handle that it is the one Lorraine had charmed. It doesn't cut into flesh, yet it can carve into wood and rock. Apparently, the carvings are permanent.

"I borrowed this from Lorraine yesterday," Connor says, looking down at his hands. "I should go give it back."

"Why did you borrow it?" I ask, curious as to what he needs to do with a thing like that.

"Look behind you," he says, and slips out of the darkness and into the light. I turn around, finding a carving in the wall.

Dana and Connor.

Because when I say forever, I mean it.

----Image

One hour.


One hour until I leave. One hour until I'm back. One hour until I become who I was always meant to be.

Connor left to spend time with his brother, which is very understandable. Cody spends most of his time with Lorraine, taking care of her. He needs some time off.

Lorraine and I sit in a small restaurant, as Andrew and Ashlee are watching over our bags, which are still on the bench. I watch as she finishes her meal, unconcerned about the looks people are giving her. As I wait, I stuff my hands in the pockets of the sweatshirt I'm wearing, which happens to be Connor's.

My fingers find a small box and I pull it out, curious. A little white strip of paper is attached. I read the note. I was hoping you'd find this.

I open the little jewelry box to find a silver necklace, a small oval on the chain. Under closer inspection, I find that there are words engraved on the oval. One side says Dana and one side says Diana. I instantly love it.

Lorraine looks at me weirdly as I fumble with the clasp, trying to fasten it at the back of my neck. After about thirteen tries, I finally get it. I gather up my hair in a ponytail and then let it fall over my shoulder.

"That's pretty," Lorraine says, scooping more macaroni and cheese into her mouth. "But kinda simple, don't you think?"

"It doesn't matter," I say, fingering the long chain, "I like it."

"And I never said I didn't."

She finishes up her meal and pays the check. She always makes it a point to look at the waiters' name tags, after that incident with the Jscott guy. We leave the restaurant and head back to the bench, our meeting point. Ashlee is talking to Andrew, and Andrew seems to want to escape.

I ignore this, tell Lorraine I'll be right back, and head to the cave. Somehow, it keeps drawing me back. The carving makes it even more appealing - I could look at it forever (even though Connor doesn't have the best penmanship).

But once I get there, the sound of someone crying can be heard echoing off the walls. I realize that other people might come here too, as much as feels like it belongs to me. I should leave, but I can't help but sneak a peek.

When I look, I see that it's Lynda. Why would Lynda be here, of all places? Looking for some time alone, maybe? I know I should leave, but I can’t help it.

"Lynda?" I ask, tentative.

"Dana..." she says, sniffling. She wipes her face on her sleeve. "I knew you would come here."

"What's wrong?" I ask, and I never realized that no one had taken the time to really ask her.

"There isn't an easy way to say this."

"Tell me," I urge her. What could it be? Some deep dark secret that will change my whole view of her forever?

"Dana... I'm dying."

"Why?" I ask, feeling the sinking sensation in my stomach. We all knew she was sick, but we never knew that it was this bad. Or maybe she’s just messing with me. "Lynda... what's wrong?"

"This isn't a long-lasting cold, allergies, or any of those other lame excuses that you guys probably never believed," she says. "This… this is magical."

"But we're still in human bodies. How...?"

"It's Wessley."

"What about him?"

"As you know... I was the fairy of love." She pauses right there, and I figure she probably rehearsed this. I would. "My powers have been weakening. Wessley, the guy I love is not going with me. Eventually, the magic will just stop and I’ll just… die."

"How can we fix this?" I ask, but I already know the answer.

"He has to go..." she says, her voice breaking. "Connor can't. Dana, I'm so sorry... I wish things could be different."

I blink. What’s going on? It hasn't registered. Not yet, and maybe not ever.

"Why can't you stay on Earth?" I ask. It is probably the worst question to ask, but I have to do it. For my own sanity.

"I guess I could."

She can't. Marigold speaks again, her voice stronger than usual. For once I wish she never had access to my head. Her presence is overwhelming and brings a sense of claustrophobia to me. And the words she speaks don’t help. One Earthborn can go, and one magical being can stay. Aaron not included…

"You can't." I hear myself say the words but I don’t feel them coming out of my mouth. The tears don't come. There must be a solution...

She nods solemnly. "I thought it would be something like that."

"We can all stay," I realize. What is wrong with that? We are fine the way we are... Nothing is making us go. Just like if we failed our mission and never figured it all out. We’re not being forced to return. "We don't have to go..."

Returning to Crystallaria would be your best choice, but… Marigold trails off, knowing that this is not a time to be commanding.

"We can stay," I repeat. Those seem like the only words left in the world. “We will return. Except this time, we’re returning to Earth.”

"I don't know..." Lynda says. "I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do. I… I’ll let you figure this out, okay?" She leaves the cave, tears still running down her cheeks. She looks back once and tries to smile at me. I don’t do anything, keeping my face blank.

The situation is a dream. That's what it is. This isn't real... But as I turn around again and touch the carving in the wall, I know that it's as real as ever.

I can't go. I can't stay. No way to win, but no way to lose.

The thought of leaving him here… I know I can live without him. I know that my heart will keep beating, but with each beat will come a reminder of him and that’s just not what I want. Yet the thought of staying... I’m so close. So, so close to having what I’ve always wanted. We’ve all worked so hard to get here, and I can’t let it be all for nothing. So where am I now?

My brain empties itself. No thoughts, no pain. But a sound fills my eardrums. A sharp, piercing sound that, in a way, could also be beautiful. Not a sound coming from the outside. It's coming from the inside. The sound of my heart breaking.

The sound of shattering crystals.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second to last chapter. Leave me a comment and make my day. :)