What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Stare Down

Burgess and I weren’t speaking to each other. I spent the many hours on the plane back to San Diego staring out the window while fidgeting in the new clothing that Slater had given me. Though I was hoping she and Pierre would ride with us to break the ice, they was on her own private jet.

I spent most of my time trying to think of a way of talking to Burgess and having his approval for me to spend the night with Walker. It was sickening how he was an authority figure over me.

But we didn’t acknowledge each other until we landed back onto sweet Californian soil. As we were leaving the plane, Burgess grabbed my arm suddenly, causing me to jump.

“Remember, eight o’clock.” His voice was almost painful to my eardrums as they hadn’t heard a human noise in hours.

I jerked my arm away and quickly trotted down the plane stairs. I didn’t want to argue with him anymore, but I didn’t want to be stepped on. Growing a backbone to a boss was never an intelligent professional move but I didn’t want to risk letting myself become swallowed by the job.

“If you’re going to act like a kid then I’ll treat you like one,” Burgess snapped at the back of my head as we walked toward the waiting car.

“So is the business deal with Slater complete?” I would only speak to him about work.

“Halfway. When she finishes with her chat with Charles then she’ll sign the remaining contracts.”

“Okay,” I nodded. Throughout the rest of the ride I kept my voice monotonous and I turned all conversation to the plans for the next week. Though it was boring it gave me a bit of release from the stressful agony of arguing with him.

Burgess’ chauffer dropped me off at the front of the apartment complex, and I escaped the vehicle without saying goodbye. Instead of going to the apartments I went to the Neo Sushi Club. I entered to find the place with just a lone couple at the bar with shots and a small serving of rolls. The clock said seven thirty PM.

“Mary,” Walker waved and left his post to give me a quick shoulder squeeze. “You made it just in time.” Walker turned and yelled to the kitchen, “Hey! My shift just ended! See you tomorrow!”

“Yeah yeah,” a voice called back in annoyance.

“How was the city of wine and cheese?” Walker steered me out of the store with his arm still wrapped around my shoulders. We paused to see Burgess’ limo still idle at the curb of the center of the complex and a matching vehicle pull up behind his.

Walker took a deep breath. “It’s sort of like a bad memory’s about to rear its ugly head. I’m sure they’ve told you enough about me.”

“Thanks for doing this, and I’m sorry,” My apologies continued to pour out but the headache I had earlier instantly vanished. It was almost soothing to be around him and I wondered how he could make me feel so relaxed.

The driver of the second limo opened the back door and Madame Slater with her loyal Pierre strode out in Coco Chanel galore.

“Madame Slater,” Walker put on a smile that I could feel was forced and his voice instantly altered into a husky language. “Avez-vous un vol sûr ?”

Though I should have expected this, I was astonished that Walker could speak French fluently. I was reminded of the past that he wouldn’t even tell Lucy—even though he proposed to her. And I wanted to know more about Walker and I wanted to ask him many questions. I doubted I’d ever have the cruelty to dig up the qualities of his personal past.

“Oui oui,” Slater nodded, “il était très bien. Comment avez-vous été ? J'espère que votre santé s'est améliorée.”

I was left out of the conversation as Walker and Slater engaged in foreign speech. Pierre then stood next to me and nodded toward Burgess’ limousine.

Though the windows were tinted I believed I could feel his eyes watching the scene.

“Ah,” Slater reverted back to English. “So shall you two show me around? It’s admirable the way you live so humbly. Why,” Slater let out a soft laugh, “I’m far too greedy to do that! It's almost masochistic what you do..."

Walker looked at me with the look, ‘Do you understand why I avoid her?’ And he cleared his throat.

“Sure, we could introduce you to our friend Lucy,” I looked up at the tall building that held hundreds of residents.

“How do you make a living, Charles?” Slater patted my head as though showing that she had a fraction of my attention. I felt like a dog.

“I work right over there?” Walker jerked his thumb toward the general direction of the Neo Sushi Club half-heartedly.

“Ah, your own business?” Slater nodded in approval.

“No…” Walker’s discomfort thickened on his expression. “I’m second in command.”

Slater’s face slowly slackened in apathy. “So… you’ve… become middle class.” She forced a smile. “As long as you have happiness then that is all that matters. Why don’t you give me a grande tour and then I’ll… oh my, what is Burgess doing?” Her short attention span was directed to the tall CEO exiting his limo.

I wouldn’t have felt sheer terror if the look on his face had been rainbows and butterflies. But I could only imagine earthquakes and lightning about to explode from hell.

“It’s about to get ugly,” Walker muttered to everyone, “just like old times.” His green eyes were attentive and they gave me a mysterious look as he took a step toward Ben.

Seeing the two boys in the same view was like witnessing yin and yang as its human metaphor. Walker wasn’t as vertically gifted as Burgess, nor did he have the well sculpted good looks or the muscled body. Walker had to tilt his head upward to look Burgess in the eye, his blonde hair standing out compared to the dark brown of Burgess. Blue versus green eyes seemed to send electric waves at each other and I could almost smell the testosterone emanating from the stare down.

“Oh my,” Slater whispered with glee and ecstasy vibrating in her voice.

“Ms. Hall,” Burgess broke first and glanced at me. “We have a change of plans. You need to come with me now to assist me in finishing this arrangement with Slater.”

“Haven’t you heard, Benny?” Walker called out behind him. “Mary and I have other plans. She’s spent more than enough time with you for the past few days.”

Slater began fanning herself in anticipation.

“Maybe you haven’t realized but with Ms. Hall’s position is to dedicate all of her time with me. Don’t I pay you well, Ms. Hall?” Burgess narrowed his eyes to me. “You signed a contract. If you break it, I can file a lawsuit and sue you.”

The blood in my face drained and I felt very cold. I looked at Walker apologetically and helplessly.

“Now,” Pierre took a step forward. “There’s no need to talk of such things!” He playfully punched Burgess in the upper arm. “Come on, young Burgess, you’re not a cold bastard, are you?” Burgess shot him venom through his eyes, but Pierre kept his lighthearted smile and continued, “How about this. You let Mademoiselle Mary have a little fun just tonight. Let her have some peace and time to adapt to this new job. She’ll go to you first thing in the morning and she won’t give you any more mutiny. Does that sound good?”

I nodded immediately but Burgess remained motionless.

“I’ll help you with whatever you need for tonight?” Pierre threw in an extra offer with such confidence that must have taken many years to find.

“I do not wish to share helpers!” Slater called out in disapproval. She was beginning to look bored.

I walked up and softly murmured so only he could hear, “Thank you so much.”

“It’s all right,” He quietly replied, “This is my way of fully apologizing for forcing my lips upon yours.”

Burgess curtly nodded, though his stubborn disapproval was apparent on his face.

Walker checked the time on his cell and then wrapped his arm around my waist. “All right, so we’ll be heading off.”

“Where are you two going?” Slater’s curiosity peaked as she waved goodbye.

“To party!” Walker called out and hurried me away from the group. As we were out of their earshot, Walker sighed, “That was a handful.”

“Yeah,” I shrugged and due to his arm touching a lot of my body there was a slight bit of friction and my face grew hot due to the hormones that were beginning to awaken. My heart was going at a slightly quicker rate and I was begging to myself to not trip or say anything awkward.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 3/1/10 Sorry for putting it up late at night...