What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Bohr Technologies

Walker gave the heavy set usher two tickets which he tore and handed back as he would be doing millions of times more for the rest of the night.

“How about we get up to the front so we can feel the sounds go through our bones!” Walker exclaimed as he pulled me through the thickening crowd. “MOSH!” Walker yelled at the top of his voice and people all around began to scream with equal enthusiasm. The amplified excitement and life that was erupting in the area was contagious and adrenaline coursed through my body. I was beginning to smile widely and I had no idea why.

“Hola!” The singer was up on stage and yelled out on the mike toward the supporting fans. “Thank you all for coming!”

Everyone started screaming and my ears began to throb but my body felt as though it was being powered by electricity. The darkness and the strobe lights that flashed without shame was addicting and being shoulder to shoulder with strangers was Walker caused my skin to tingle.

Although I couldn’t hear the lyrics clearly as they were singing, I almost felt as though I was in a euphoric world. Everything became jumbled and almost blurry. I felt as though I would suffocate and I felt claustrophobic being pressed by so many people but at the same time I felt invincible.

Walker said something to me, but it was drowned out by the screaming vocals and the drums that smacked audio fireworks out onto the crowd.

“What?!” I yelled as loud as I could.

Walker shrugged, looked to his left and right and surprised me with a soft kiss that missed my lips and touched nose.

When the concert was finished, the crowd begrudgingly left. Everyone’s throats were sore from screaming and their backs sore from standing so long. I felt tired but at the same time as though all of my troubles had disintegrated by the noise. It was a long time since I felt at peace. My heart was calm but my skin felt fuzzy as I tried to think about Walker’s sudden touch.

He continued to smile at me as he normally did, but there was a clinging quality about him that I found sweet. He held my hand and squeezed it and provided me with another soft peck, this time upon my cheek.

Walker took me to the beach across the city. It was too dark and out of tourist season, making the muffled waves soothing against my throbbing eardrums.

The crescent moon was the only source of natural light visible in the blinding black of the sky. City lights illuminated the sand as we started walking toward the rolling waves.

“Mary,” Walker whispered and looked at me with implore. “Will you be my girlfriend?”

The way he asked it was prompt and nervous. It was almost juvenile, but at the same time it was something that was never asked to me before. In high school I went on the occasional date, but I never had a boyfriend.

“Isn’t it… too soon?” I asked though I didn’t know why. I wanted to jump in glee and say yes.

“Only if you think it is,” Walker lifted my hand up to his lips and he began nipping at my palm.

“I would like that,” I softly choked as I felt the tickling sensation of his mouth feeling my sensitive skin.

There was a hesitation that Walker made but he diminished it by wrapping his arms around me. My ear was pressed against his chest, and though my hearing was still weakened by the concert I could feel the rhythmic pounding of his chest thumping gently.

We both sat down on the beach, me resting my head upon his chest and his hand petting my hair. This was lust. I understood it well enough to coax it. I cared for Walker and the way he could make me relieved and happy at the same time.

“Thank you,” Walker’s voice broke the resting silence.

“For what?”

“For saying yes.”

I sat up and my throat fluttered as I felt bold. I leaned over him and kissed his lips slowly. Falling into the trance, Walker’s hands began exploring my back and hips. I was thankful and secretly disappointed that he decided to be a gentleman and not go any further.

I almost subconsciously moved my fingers under his shirt and he let out a startled gasp and then wheezed laugh. “It’s true what they say,” Walker grinned.

“What?” I smiled back.

“The ones you least expect it are the most freaky.”

“Oh, what did you expect?” I was teasing and was a little unsure if it was a compliment.

“That you’d stave off boys until marriage.”

I playfully pushed him back into the sand. “I’m going to bury your face!” I tried to start throwing sand over his body.

“Oh no!” Walker humored me by throwing his arms over his head as he tried to flee from the pelting grains of sand while skittering on his knees. “Spare me, oh cruel devil woman!”

As I began chasing him, I felt my socks cling to my skin and dampen. I had stepped too close to the incoming tide and my toes sunk a few centimeters into the ground.

“Oh look!” I heard Walker mutter as I saw him swipe at something and stand up examining it. “This is yours, right?”

I went up toward him to see my work phone, caked in drying sand and ringing shrilly with a traditional ringtone. "Yeah. I guess it's Burgess calling."

“At least it's not broken, it must have fallen out of your pocket,” Walker murmured as I took it without enthusiasm.

I stared at the repulsive thing, and an impulsive wave rushed through me as the ocean's did and I stretched my arm back and flung it as far as I could into the sea.

Walker watched silently for a few seconds before saying, “You just contributed to destroying the environment.” He laughed. “I make a living off of the creatures that come out of there!”

“I won’t buy plastic for a week,” I promised, hoping that the so-called waterproof Smartphone would at least go deep into the ocean to become crushed by the water pressure.

“Burgess is going to be pissed,” Walker warned as he brushed a few particles of dirt off my cheek. And I wished I could redo the last ten minutes.

>

The next morning was unbearable to wake up to. My entire body was sore, my ears were still ringing, but I felt refreshed and ready for work.

As I tried to wake myself up in the bathroom, I heard Lucy getting up and starting the coffee maker.

“Hey, Mary!” Lucy called in behind the closed door while I was in the shower. “When are you off work tonight?”

“Six,” I called back despite the uncertainty that tugged at me. What if Burgess expected me to work late?

“I was thinking that this place could use a few things. Like a table and a bed for you… so why don’t we go to IKEA tonight?”

“Sure.”

There was a pause, then Lucy’s voice reflected interest, “So how’d it go with you and Walker?”

“Actually, great! I think we’re starting off pretty well.” Carefully wrapping myself in a towel, I opened the door to see Lucy leaned against the wall, and I gasped to see that her long hair was cut short shaggily. “Why’d you cut your hair?”

She scratched her head and shrugged. “It was getting annoying.”

“It looks good,” I was trying to swallow the new image. She looked almost like a boy, and it was that powerful of a shock.

Lucy nodded to the kitchen. “I’ve made some scrambled eggs and toast. If you have time, we’ll talk more.”

I went into my room to see that I had four missed calls on my regular cell phone. My heart sped up at seeing Walker’s name once but then it stopped in my chest when I recognized Burgess’ number thrice. I realized that he would almost certainly know that the Smartphone was gone.

Trying to not allow my mind to ponder upon the fact, I tried to put on clothes that were crisp and clean. I needed not only furniture but clothes.

I went into the kitchen to see a new table and a pair of unmatching chairs pushed in.

“When’d you get this?” I took a seat as Lucy served breakfast.

“I was driving around this morning when I saw them being thrown out.” Lucy knocked the wood. “All it needs is a paint job and it saves me—us—a few bucks.” She rubbed her temple while leaning her elbows onto the table. “I’m still getting used to the idea of having a roommate.”

I watched Lucy in silence as she closed her eyes and let out a sigh. “You all right?”

She nodded. “Just a headache.” A minute of silence echoed around us. “This is going to sound so weird, opening up to you, but I want to let you know…” She opened her eyes and stared intently at me, “I don’t want to hate you.”

I wondered why she would be so serious, but I nodded and let her continue.

“You’ve probably noticed, but I don’t get along with many people. I can be a real bitch.”

“I don’t think you’re…”

“Don’t,” Lucy warned as she slowly shook her head. “Please don’t patronize me. You’re very… simple. You seem sweet. Walker’s taken a like to that, thank God,” she yawned, “And you haven’t stolen anything or snooped around.”

“What do you mean?”

“This is going to sound very neurotic,” Lucy moved her hands as she spoke, a habit that I discovered meant she was feeling uncomfortable. “But I kept everything under check for a while. I’ve put a thin layer of tape over my door to make sure I’d know if you’d try to go into my room.”

“Oh,” I smiled out of discomfort.

“That was pretty dickish of me, wasn’t it?” Lucy let out a small smirk and sighed. “So I’m hoping we can start over.”

“We don’t need to,” I was curious to know why she was suddenly acting this way. “I like your personality. You’re very confident and you must be a great person to have Walker love you like he does.”

“Love. I don’t believe in it,” Lucy muttered as her eyes starting fluttering closed and she popped them open at hearing herself. “Sorry, there I go, ranting on again.”

“You’re probably just tired. When did you last go to sleep?”

“I don’t know… Since Walker was out of the hospital?”

“You need to get to bed now,” I stood up and gently touched Lucy’s shoulder. “Need me to go down and talk to your boss about missing work?”

“I’m off today.” Lucy stood up and stretched. “You know, I was almost run off the road by a limo?”

My pulse quickened. “Did they stop to see if you were okay?”

“Pff, no. They were such assholes,” Lucy murmured as I helped her to her room. “But if it weren’t for those bastards I wouldn’t have found the latest additions to the kitchen.”

I stopped. “Wait, you were on your motorcycle?”

“Yeah.”

“How did you carry that table and chairs on it?”

“I had a few straps,” Lucy murmured as she went into your room. “Thanks, I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay,” I called back as I cleared the table. My phone vibrated angrily in my pocket and I saw it to be my good old boss calling again.

“Good morning, Mr. Burgess sir?” I quietly greeted as I left the condo and locked the door.

“You’re late for work. I’m about to fire you.”

“All right,” I sighed as I began descending in the elevator.

“And you don’t seem to care?” Burgess’ voice raised in disbelief.

“With all due respect, sir, I am supposed to arrive in fifteen minutes.”

“Why aren’t you answering your other phone?” Burgess changed his tactics.

I was silent as I tried to think of an excuse that wouldn’t result in him screaming at me. It was a strange feeling, as he never actually yelled at me. And I didn’t want him to start. “I’ll explain in your office when I get there.”

“Ms. Hall, you’ll tell me now. I won’t tolerate that attitude as long as you’re working for me.”

I wondered what human would speak like he did. It was almost as though he was a robot. And his seemingly perfect persona made sense. He was a cyborg. A metallic piece of fantasy that didn’t truly breathe nor have a pulse.

“Are you listening to me?!” Burgess snapped but he stopped himself from getting any more excited, which I was surprised of. “Show some respect, please.”

I had a feeling that Pierre was behind the sudden change of tactic from Burgess when I heard the magic word. And I realized how much of a jerk I was being. “I’m sorry,” I began. “You have every right to fire me.”

“I do,” Burgess returned to his cold and arrogant tone. “Fortunate for you, I’ve tolerated your disrespect this far. But remember that I can just as easily get rid of you, or worse.”

He had threatened me, but I expected at least that bit of hostility.

“Thank you,” I was brownnosing him, but it was more out of an apologetic pang of emotion rather than the need to impress him. After treating him in the way I had, I began to feel horrible for being that way. Though I disliked him a great deal, I owed him a decent job.

“All right. Oh, and you do realize that I’m waiting for you outside of your apartment complex and you’re still not out.”

“Why?” I walked out of the elevator and saw the limo parking snobbishly by the curb, sparkling as bystanders watched the vehicle in fascination.

“What part of the word 'personal' in personal assistant don’t you understand?” Burgess sighed.

The chauffer rushed to open the doors and I was ushered in as I hung up my phone.

“So you’re going to tell me what happened to your company issued phone?” Burgess was seated in his usual attire of a pricey business suit. His hair was freshly styled. I wondered if he had one of those closets that could clothe the world—and if he ever wore the same tie twice.

We began driving away and I felt the need to let the truth out. “I threw it in the ocean.” I blurted out, and I couldn’t understand the rush of pride that swelled in my chest along with the shame at my childish act.

Burgess looked at me blankly. “Excuse me, I think I misheard you. Could you say that again?”

I looked down at my hands then back at him. “I threw it—in the ocean.”

“What made you do something so… stupid?” Burgess’ eyes were crinkled in confusion and his lips were slightly agape in shock.

“Because it…” I didn’t know how to explain it.

“What?”

“…it was fun.” I gave Burgess a timid glance and watched as he closed his mouth and his eyes darkened.

“I’ll have to dock the cost of replacement from your pay.”

“All right,” I nodded.

Burgess pulled out of his pocket a phone identical to the one that was swimming with the fishes and handed it to me.

“Do you always carry these around?” I took it and ran my finger over the brand new metal.

“No,” Burgess smirked at my joke. “When you wouldn’t answer the phone, I tried to track it. There was no signal, so I assumed it was gone.”

“Right,” I put it in my pocket. “I’ll take care of this one.”

“Good.” Burgess looked out the window. “Now that the crisis with Slater Enterprise is over, we can settle on the new software that’s being developed.”

“What type of software is it?” I asked.

“It’s a side project that the company is working on. It’s the first video game that Burgess Incorporated is producing.”

“Cool,” I leaned forward. “What’s the game about?”

Burgess raised an eyebrow and his lip twitched in satisfaction. “So you’re interested. Good. Think of this as training for the more serious projects that you’ll be accompanying me on.”

“What do I do?”

“What you’ve been doing,” Burgess scoffed as though speaking to an idiot. “Pay attention, do what you’re told, and give in occasional input. Organize a schedule for me to help correspond with all my other everyday activities.”

“About that. What do you do? I mean—outside of work.”

Burgess leaned his elbow against the door’s armrest. “You want my regular schedule?”

I nodded and felt like a dork as I set up the Smartphone to record his life story.

“I wake up every four thirty and go for a thirty minute run. I shower and get dressed by five thirty. If I have time I’ll have breakfast and set up for the day’s meetings and maintain foreign affairs. I leave for the corporate building at seven o’clock.”

“Wait,” I struggled to type all the numbers and words onto the small touch pad. “On my first day, you had me arrive at four in the morning.”

“I know,” Burgess checked his rolex. “I wanted to see if you were willing to wake up early enough to show up.”

“Allright,” I was slightly agitated at this but decided to let it go. “Continue.”

“Then, I have a cup of Luwak.”

“Why do you like Luwak so much?” I asked as I remembered his specific request for the brand.

He blinked. “It’s the only coffee that doesn’t drown me in its bitter taste.”

“They all taste the same to me,” I pointed out.

“I’ll let you try some,” Burgess suggested.

“No thanks, you’ll take it out of my pay.” I gave him a smile as I remembered the silliness.

Burgess smirked and despite myself I started to enjoy speaking with him. “Since I’m such a nice guy how about we make a deal. You drink a full cup of Luwak and then give me your opinion on how the coffee compares.”

“I’m telling you, coffee is coffee.”

Burgess’ nose wrinkled. “Insulting as this is going to sound, your taste buds haven’t been introduced to the finest of cuisine.”

“There’s been a study. When a person is given a glass of cheap wine and is told it costs hundreds of dollars, they think it tastes better than the other glass that is filled with the actual expensive glass.”

“And what group of people was this tested on? Lower, Middle, or Upper class?”

I gave him a mocking glare as I half enjoyed and half hated the debate.

“I just won, assistant.” Burgess’ voice murmured in a husked whisper.

“This isn’t over,” I shook my head defiantly.

“But we’ve just arrived. We can finish this later.”

We both went into the building where Vern lifted up his and nodded at the two of us. I gave him a smile and he looked surprised at my bliss.

As I did my loyal duties of serving Burgess his coffee and answering his phone calls, I wondered how I could be in such a cheery mood. At first I thought of manic depression. I hadn’t been in a state of depression but I had wallowed in my misery and anger. I felt that Walker was the one to thank for the freedom and happiness I was feeling. Just thinking about him made me grow to care for him more and more it seemed.

As the day passed quickly, I realized I had skipped my lunch break and worked through. It was close to six, and I didn’t want to stand Lucy up. Before I could ask Burgess to let me leave, the phone rang.

“Burgess Incorporated,” my voice had softened into a hum due to exhaustion.

“Hi, this is Bohr Technologies,” A strong female voice echoed into my ears that managed to bring familiar discomfort even through my desk’s phone. Though I recognized the voice, I couldn’t figure who was the speaker.

“Oh, how may I help you?” Bohr Technologies was another software corporation. I wasn’t sure if this was a friendly call like that of Slater Enterprise, but my gut warned me it would be unpleasant.

“Yes, Mr. Bohr would like to speak with Mr. Burgess at the moment. Is he busy?”

“I’ll check. Please hold,” I pressed the red button on the phone before she could respond. I then paged Burgess in his office.

“Yes?” His voice sounded agitated and I wondered if he was just naturally annoyed.

“There is a woman from Bohr Technologies that says Mr. Bohr wants to speak with you.”

There was a sharp intake of breath. “Shit,” Burgess muttered. “Let her call pass.”

I pressed the buttons, hoping I didn’t accidentally hang up on the call and proceeded to fiddle with the little things that covered my desk.

After a few moments, Burgess opened the door to his office. “We need to talk,” He looked at me with the similar look of stress and seriousness from before we went to France.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update 1/2/10