What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Ben-Limic

“Jonathan Bohr, CEO of Bohr Technologies, is a professional rival of mine.” Burgess had taken out a bottle of Schnapps and two glasses. He had already finished a full glass and was working on his second. I didn’t touch mine.

What worried me wasn’t the fact that Burgess was younger than me and of the legality of him drinking. It was drinking in general. And it seemed that Burgess was heavily troubled as there was a spark of desperation in his eye and an intense twang in his speech that filled me with concern.

“No thanks,” I raised my hand to deny Burgess from pouring any more spirits over the rim of my glass.

“This prick is the shovel that keeps uprooting Burgess Incorporated. He has a horrible business ethic and has no shame in ripping on my company. And I can’t buy him since he puts a lot of his software in use for the Air Force.”

“What if you invested your software into the government also?” The back of my neck prickled as I studied Burgess. I didn’t enjoy being around the drunk.

“If I did, profits would drastically drop—something I couldn’t afford and Bohr knows this.” He downed another glass and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “He wants a meeting in two days. It’s to ‘negotiate about the recent Slater collapse’.”

“Slater hasn’t collapsed,” I protested.

“When Madame Slater signed her company to bind with mine, technically it’s been bought by me. Slater received a decent percentage of the stock and continues her wealthy lifestyle without her major company. To the business world, this means that her company has lost in the war of economics.”

“Slater Enterprise was bankrupt?” Though she didn’t seem to be in trouble, I felt bad for Madame Slater.

“Yes. Bohr didn’t like me helping Slater out and strengthening my company. He’s going to made demands.”

“He’s got nothing over you.”

“He does,” Burgess pressed his palm against his forehead and ran his fingers through his hair. “He can threaten to lower his prices far enough to really hurt our equity.”

“That can’t happen; you’ll do something about it!” I eagerly tried to get him to not fall to despair. “Are you giving up?”

“Of course not,” Burgess sneered and he took my glass and downed it. His cheeks had a slight tinge of pink and I could smell the smell of alcohol permeating from him.

“Good.” I nodded and took the bottle away from him. “You’ve had more than enough. I’ll call your chauffeur to take you home. Get some rest and try to find something productive to keep your mind off of Bohr.”

“You mean like work?” Burgess snickered. “That’s all I’m good at.”

This change of behavior scared me. It’s true that alcohol brings out the hidden side of the person, but I wasn’t ready to face any drama from the famous Ben Burgess.

A buzz from a speaker on Burgess’ desk saved me from trying to console my boss. “Mr. Burgess, there is a man who calls himself Walker who says he’s here to pick up Mary Hall. He refuses to leave and is currently making a scene with the security.”

Burgess stood up quickly and staggered gracefully to the speaker. He held down the button and said with a slight slur, “Send him up.”

I closed my eyes and hoped that there wouldn’t be anything that involved broken glass or loud name calling.

As we waited in silence, Walker arrived in a baseball cap, covering his locks of hair and waved at me.

“Yo, Bitchy Ben, just here to pick up a friend.”

“Oh?” Burgess raised an eyebrow and he seemed to have sobered up quickly. “I don’t know whether it’s sheer luck or stupidity to prance in here. I’m surprised you haven’t been kicked out on your ass outside of my building.”

“Heh, you’ve got to be a bit more choosing with who protects your precious company. They couldn’t even grab me right.” Walker pulled at the collar of his shirt and I saw it to have a steady rip. “So, Mary, you’re off, right? We don’t want to let Lucy waiting.”

“I didn’t dismiss her yet!” Burgess yelled and his voice echoed off the walls and into my ears. It felt louder than the rock concert from the other night. He was off balance and there was an irrational gleam in his darting eyes.

“Mr. Burgess, please, you’re stressed. Do you want me to help you home?”

“No, I’m fine.” Burgess snorted as he covered his eyes. “Just. Get out of my sight. Be here tomorrow.”

“Yes sir,” I nodded and exited with Walker.

“What’s with him? He didn’t even make any good cracks about… anything.”

“There’s a lot going on.” I didn’t want to explain.

We took a cab to an IKEA where Lucy was leaning against the wall next to the door under a NO LOITERING sign.

“Let’s get you guys some thabulous furniture!” Walker flipped his hair and started forward, moving his hips provocatively in an exaggerated imitation of a voluptuous hooker.

“Ain’t he a cutie?” Lucy whispered into my ear. “You’ll have no problem with keeping the pants on in the relationship.”

I giggled. “I’m more focused on making him take his pants off in the relationship.”

“Gasp! Dost my ears pick up perversions?” Lucy gave me a mischievous smile. “You know the best way to a guy’s dick? Make the first move. Guys are always scared of taking the plunge because they think they’ll be a jerk, and Walker’s no exception.”

“Hey you females! Are you here to talk about my delicious body or are you here to furnish your empty home?”

A saleswoman stalked toward Walker. “Sir, please behave yourself or I’ll have to ask you to leave.”

“Sorry, miss,” Walker bowed his head in apology. “Rough day?”

She stared at him unfazed by his charismatic forte.

Walker ignored her glare and gestured for us to come closer. “My lady friends are in need of your expertise. What was it you needed?” Walker looked from me to Lucy.

“Mary needs a bedroom set. And we could use a desk. And a bookshelf.”

“All right,” The woman held less hostility and led us throughout the store. As everything began to quiet down, another voice disrupted the silence.

“Mary Hall!” A voice from my nightmares shouted behind me. I turned to see the familiar red hair and surgically altered face growing as it approached me.

“Lila, hi.” I didn’t have much enthusiasm but I decided not to be a spoil sport. “Lucy, Walker, this is Lila Maddock. She went to high school with me.”

“Hey,” Lucy nodded. Lila looked Lucy up and down and then widened her eyes and looked away as though Lucy was nothing more than a paintless wall. Anger and hurt rushed into me as I felt my eyes narrow at Lila. Lucy cracked a knuckle and grinned darkly at Lila.

“Hi,” Lila smiled widely at Walker. Jealousy thrashed inside my chest and I felt nausea poison my body.

This was the first time I saw Walker with an awkward smile as he shuffled his feet in disinterest. I felt relief that Walker didn’t seem fascinated with Lila.

Lila picked up the nerves coming from Walker because she shrugged it off. “Anyway, I’m here to buy a new sofa.” She snapped her fingers at the woman who’s face had distorted back to its overworked frown. “Are you the only one who can help me?”

“I’m sorry,” She clenched her teeth behind closed lips. “Please browse and I’ll be with you as soon as I’m done with these customers.”

Lila raised her eyebrows and let out a sniff as she strode off, her high heels clicking away.

“God,” Lucy muttered and raised her voice loudly so it echoed off the walls. “What A BITCH!”

Lila stopped and turned around. “What did you call me?”

“Oh, there’s no need to repeat myself,” Lucy called out. “All of San Diego heard me state the obvious.”

Lila let out a breath of disbelief. “Mary, you actually hang out with this dyke?”

“Hey, Lila, why don't you soak your head in the toilet.” I took a step forward and adrenaline pumped into my body. But I was careful, for I knew that Lila was a dirty fighter from the hallway brawls she’d have back in school.

“Oh!” Lila laughed. “Looks like the little doormat just grew some thick skin! What, working with Ben suddenly gives you the right to talk to me that way? Who knew what a backstabbing whore you were.”

“Hey. From what I’m getting at, you’re just a bitter attention-craving cliché.” Walker walked up. “Get off our backs, and we’ll get off yours.”

“Your tranny friend started this!” Lila pointed a manicured fingernail at Lucy.

“Shut up!” Walker took a step forward and I became scared that he’d become violent. I looked at Lucy for help but I saw her eyes become glossed over and her body trembling. It was then I wondered if Lucy was all right. I couldn't imagine her to show such anxiety. She looked almost close to tears. Almost.

“That’s it. You four, please leave before I call security.” The saleswoman raised her hands and looked at everyone with delicate fear in her eyes.

“Fine, we’re out of here.” Walker turned and saw Lucy in her frozen state. He quickly wrapped his arm around her and steered her to the exit as I was gingerly accompanying Lucy on the other side of her.

We walked to a bench outside and we had Lucy sit down.

“Do you need anything, Lu? Water?” Walker gently caressed her cheek and gave her a hug. “Hey, forget that idiot. She’ll just burn in hell.”

Everything seemed to collapse as a tear slipped from Lucy’s eye and dropped onto Walker’s shoulder. Tough, rough, and bold Lucy was crying.

I didn’t know what to do, as I didn’t understand what caused Lucy to react at the attacks of being called a lesbian, but then I considered the possibility that she was, indeed, gay. I wasn’t bothered, only saddened and curious at how she was so sensitive at it.

Walker made sure Lucy didn’t drive her motorcycle back to the condo. He paid for the cab back home, and he gave Lucy half a sleeping pill from his medicine cabinet and put her to bed.

“The best thing is to let her alone and sleep on it,” Walker explained as he led me to his room.

“Could you explain about... this?” I asked as I sat on Walker’s couch.

Walker looked blankly into nothingness as he collected his thoughts. “All right, but you can’t tell her I told you, okay? You see,” he started making hot chocolate. “The thing is Lucy was a bit of a rebel back in high school. Her parents just wanted her to graduate and go to college. They wanted her to be a lawyer. She wanted to live a life on her own.”

I nodded and Walker handed me a mug.

“She didn't like the way her parents would impose their expectations on her. She started acting out to make them disappointed and to leave her alone. And then Lucy decided what better way to freak people out than to experiment with the same gender.”

“Oh.” The puzzle pieces fell into place and I had an idea of what happened next.

“Her parents, of course, found out. She wanted them to know—she wanted to make them angry for god knows why. Maybe just because of the way they always mistreated her. Anyways, so they found out and everything broke apart. Her mom became disgusted and left the family. The father couldn’t look his daughter in the eye but wouldn’t let her leave his sight. Pretty hypocritical, isn’t it? And then, the verbal abuse started happening. You know, whenever a family reunion happened everyone called her a dyke or a lesbian. Lucy may have ovaries of steel, but her one vice is being told she’s homosexual. She’s really not, she was merely curious. It's a thorn in her past and she doesn't like being reminded of it. That’s why she doesn’t talk to or about her family anymore. Sure, they pay her tuition for college but that’s only because they had the trust fund already set up and were bound by contract to make her use it.”

I wondered how a simple word could cause her to become so emotional. I had no empathy but I wanted to. I wanted to understand how Lucy could break down after being called a name.

“Damn it, that girl needs to be put on medication!” Walker cursed as he slapped his hand on the kitchen counter.

My jaw dropped but then I realized Walker was talking about Lila. I got up and gently squeezed his arm. “Hey. Some people can’t help being horrible. We’re probably never going to see her again. Let’s think about Lucy.” I pulled him out of the kitchen. “You’re her closest friend. What cheers her up?”

Walker’s cheeks reddened and he had a silly smile. “Getting laid. She hasn’t had male company in half a year.”

“Oh,” I chuckled inside. “What kind of guy does she like?”

Walker fidgeted uncomfortably. “Well at least we know it’s not me.”

We both laughed awkwardly. “I’ll ask around the office.”

Walker’s eyes widened. “Please don’t pick Bitchy Ben. I—Lucy would hate that.”

“Oh, no way!” I forced a shiver. “Bad image.”

“I know, he’s got this huge complex that he needs to be dominant in any relationship,” Walker laughed.

“Oh, I’ve noticed.” I shook his head. “Stupid rich boy.”

“Right, he’s— ” Walker checked his cell phone and sighed. “I’ve got to go. I’ve got work in a few minutes.”

I frowned. “Is it at the Club or at the grocery store?”

“Oh… it’s at the theater. I work as an usher.”

“Are you having any money trouble?” I was concerned. Something felt wrong.

“Nope. Like I said, I do it for the extra cash. I feel better knowing there’s a lot of money in my savings. It's a security thing.” Walker’s words were quick as though he was trying to make up an excuse.

“All right,” I decided to back down. It wasn’t any of my business, but Walker didn't act like he needed or wanted money.

“Sorry, we’ll spend more time tomorrow.” Walker gave me a kiss on the crown of my head and we both left his apartment. “Take care of Lucy for me, okay? She’s very dear to me.”

I felt a fraction of hurt at his statement but I nodded. “Of course I will.”

“All right. Take care.” Walker began leaving.

I went into my condo to the lights off and silence. I quietly looked around to see an empty home with shadows covering the vacancy.

“Mary,” Lucy’s soft whisper startled me and I Lucy slowly get out of her room.

“Hey, do you need anything?” I turned on the lights and we were both blinded by the burning brightness.

“Ugh.” Lucy covered her face. “No, I’m fine. Sorry for acting like a giant wuss.”

“Hey, you don’t have to say you’re sorry. Lila should apologize.”

“I'll deal with it,” Lucy was adapting to the illuminated room. “I need to clear my head. Want to join me?”

“Sure, where do you want to go?” I noticed Lucy was

“First I want to pick up my bike at IKEA. Then there’s this park I want to visit. Oh, and do you know where this Lila lives?”

“Uh… maybe?” I bit my lower lip. “What were you planning?”

“Oh, just your typical delinquent vandalism. Whatever,” Lucy and I began leaving. “I’ll just look it up in the phone book. Promise I won’t involve you if you don’t want to.”

“Okay,” I nodded but I wasn't convinced.

“What about you? Any place you feel like painting with some raw yolks?”

“Not in particular…” I wondered if Lucy was only acting this way by the buzz that Walker put her in. Her pupils were dilated and she had a dark smile on her lips.

I remembered Walker’s suggestion to revive Lucy from her stupor. “Lucy… when was the last time you’ve gone on a date?”

Lucy stopped and gave me the look of filth and hatred. Or maybe it was just suspicion. “Why?”

“Well—what better way to move on than a one night stand?” Metaphorically, I was beginning to sweat.

“Ha, I like a guy who’s not afraid of having the girl take control.” Lucy crossed her arms and smiled at me playfully. “And that’s all I want. How many guys do you know are like that?”

I couldn’t think of any guy except Walker—and there was no way in hell I’d give him up… even for a roommate and friend.

We were walking out when I felt my Smartphone calling for me. I threw Lucy an apologetic look which she shrugged away. “I’ll be fine,” Lucy said. “I don’t have an extra helmet so you’d have to take a taxi back here anyway. I’ll see you later.” And with that, she went off to call a cab.

“Hello?” I was already walking in the general direction to the corporate building.

“Hey, Mary Susan Hall, there’s… something I need,” Burgess’ voice was slurred and jumbled.

He sounded, dare I say it, tipsy. He was a silly drunk—different from the depressed anger I knew so well from my mother—but drunk all the same.

“Mr. Burgess, where are you?”

“Mille Fleurs. Paseo Delicias.”

“All right, just stay there. I’ll get you.”

>

I was a few yards away from Mille Fleurs, but I felt rough hands grab me and throw me against the wall. A gruff old man was glaring at me, his eyes flashing over my face and body with desperate moist sweating on his skin. Despite the adrenaline beginning to explode in my body and the racing of my heart, I noticed how familiar he looked.

“You—you work for that boy, don’t you?”

“What do you mean?” I asked back in a choked whisper.

He let out a frustrated growl and quickly jumped away, half running half limping away.

As I tried to settle my quick breaths, I stumbled to the front of the restaurant to be greeted by bright lights and, especially, a sense of sudden security. Still having that man’s weathered skin and oniony stench echoing in my conscious, I entered the restaurant. I had more important things to worry about than a rambling hobo.

“Excuse me,” The hostess blocked my entrance into the restaurant. “Do you have a reservation?”

“I’m here to pick up Mr. Burgess,” I tried to look over the woman’s pointed shoulders for any sign of a tall brunette but she moved so my vision would remain empty. I was beginning to calm down and dismiss the bum as merely a typical city crazy.

“Oh are you?” The woman spread her arms out as I tried to wriggle past her.

Yes, I am.” I let out a breath of surrender and shrugged. “Feel free to ask him. I’m just trying to do my job.”

The woman raised an eyebrow and called for a waiter to do the deed. After minutes waiting, he came back without the young CEO. “He wants her to… sit with him,” He looked up at the hostess.

The woman’s pressed lips slightly opened and a wide grin was forced. “Welcome. Please, this way,” And she led me through many private tables until in the far corner I could see the top of a brown mane.

“Mr. Burgess,” I took a seat across from the man and stared at the many shot glasses. Two empty bottles of spirits sparkled in the dim light and looked out of place next to the man with blood shot eyes. “You look…” I stopped when he looked at me blankly. “…drunk.”

“Heh,” His face had a smile that stretched across his face almost painfully. “Yeah.”

“How can you legally get this?” I moved my hand across the rows of empty glass.

“Two credit cards and some cash.” Burgess was cradling another small shot glass with barely any of the hypnotic liquid inside.

I took the glass from his fingers slowly. “All right, well let’s get you home.”

“No, not yet.” He took another sip and snapped for a waiter. “What do you want, it’ll be on me.”

“I want you to go home,” I replied. “You’re scaring me.”

Burgess looked at me thoughtfully, his eyes full of thought. “I scare everyone.”

“No,” I shook my head while keeping my gaze on his face. “But…”

I was interrupted by the waiter quickly cleaning up the glasses and replacing them with a fresh bottle.

What made a man so controlled and poised suddenly act irresponsibly as Burgess was? As I tried to examine him in his intoxicated state, I wondered if this was how he coped with all of his stress.

He’s a complex boy…

This Jonathan Bohr must have terrified Burgess. And realizing how much anxiety a man I believed to be fearless and have a heart of stone was facing made me feel unsettled about this unknown rival.

“Come on,” I put my hand over Burgess’ as I felt embarrassment at the physical contact. He looked at me strangely. “I’m taking you home.”

Burgess, though he didn’t show it, was too drunk to take out the wallet from his pocket. I had to stand over him and help him up while he stumbled. He could hardly stand. After that, I called for his chauffer to take him home.

As I tried to get him into the limo, he grabbed my arm for balance and pulled me into the car.

“Shit, I’m going to throw up.” Burgess muttered and he suddenly lurched and a sour yellow liquid poured out of his mouth and onto my knees, covering me in a horrid blend of alcohol and stomach acid.

The smell was disgusting and I winced as Burgess continued to heave over me. I held his shoulders as he continued to be sick.

“D-drive,” I called out and the chauffer stepped on the gas.

Finally Burgess stopped and looked down at the mess he created. “Damn it, sorry,” he murmured and he looked away. “You can clean up when you get to my place.”

Though I felt a bit repulsed by the ordeal, I was used to the idea of vomit. It was the sticky acid leaking through my pants that made it miserable and the smell was only increasing.

We stopped in front of a huge gate where suited security surrounded the vehicle. I rolled down the window and one of the men looked in to see Burgess, their lips squirming when they inhaled the sour taste of bile, and gave the approval to let us through the gates. It was a very long driveway, surrounded by rolling pastures and beautifully kept gardens.

“You live here all by yourself?” I gaped aloud as I tried to ignore the puke that was beginning to cool and dry.

“Uh,” Burgess grunted, his voice throaty.

When we reached the front doors, I opened it before the chauffer could and tried to support Burgess as he pressed half of his body weight against my shoulders. He was very solid and heavy like a bolder, while in comparison to Walker who was more related to a bubble.

“Oh my,” A very attractive maid came out. “You are Ms. Mary?” She took Burgess’ other side and helped bring him up the stairs and into the mansion.

“Yes,” I bit my lip and was rescued by a pack of housekeepers, each one blossoming with a radiant beauty that would have made me snicker at Burgess for hiring specifically appealing women to clean for him.

“Ah,” A man that I assumed as the butler looked down at me with a wrinkled nose in disdain. “Please come with me. Some ladies will be with you to…” he cleared his throat, “clean you up.”

“Will Burgess be all right?” I asked as I was being ushered by the man. My employer had disappeared in the throng of ladies who were practically carrying him away.

“He’ll be fine. We will have our doctor look at him as he’s being cleaned up. Though I have to say,” he looked at me shrewdly, “This is the first time in months this has happened.”

“Does he do this often?” The butler practically pushed me into a guest room where two maids were waiting to have their hygienic hands on me.

“Only when he can't handle himself,” he muttered before he closed the door—shutting me away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 3/8/2010