What Can You Not Buy With Money?

To Forgive

Burgess was scheduled to leave the hospital, as his three weeks were over. Of course, he’d scheduled for private rehab classes and still could only eat easily digested foods.

And I did my best to show Burgess that I was thankful for his heroic sacrifice for practically taking that bullet for me. And though I disagreed with Pierre about my feelings for Burgess, I still did my best to take care of him.

“I don’t need a wheel chair,” Burgess snapped as he stood up tall out of his bed. He proudly looked on his path and took four steps before almost collapsing. I did my best to catch him, but we needed the help of his nurse to have him sit back in his bed.

“Here are the clothes a housekeeper set up for you.” I handed the leather bag to him. “Just call me when you’re done changing.”

I took a step back and he looked at me as though I was an idiot. “You expect me to put them on myself?”

The nurse looked at me with a look of sympathy, clearly annoyed by Burgess. “Sir, I’ll be glad to help—“

Burgess, thankfully, obliged.

I escaped and let out a deep breath. Maybe I was shaking because of the very idea that he’d undress—but I had seen him already twice with his bare buttocks showing through the thin hospital gown to be filled with discomfort and a secret arousal. I admit, he had a very nice butt.

“Mary!” Burgess called out angrily. He had developed the habit of calling me by my first name, and it was a strange feeling—in one moment he would say it in affection and then the next he’d be screaming it.

“Yes?” I entered to see Burgess with his slacks already on. His frame had gotten smaller during his hospitalization, his skin clinging to his ribcage. The muscle tone he had was disintegrating due to lack of exercise and his entire body was a glowing white. What caught my eye was a bold scab healing over his stomach, his red badge of courage. I swallowed as my eyes trained onto it.

“I don’t have a shirt.” He had in his hand a tie and a jacket but there was no sign of so much as an undershirt.

I kept my mouth closed and I turned away so he wouldn’t see me snicker.

“What am I supposed to do?” He snapped.

Finally I kept a serious face. “I could tell your welcoming party at the corporate building that you’ll be a little late and go get you a top.”

Burgess showed a negative attitude, let out a growl and slipped into his suit jacket. He buttoned it up and used the wall to help guide him to the bathroom to inspect his reflection. “I look ridiculous.”

“Maybe you’ll start a new trend. Rock stars do it all the time.”

Burgess smirked. “Yeah.” Using the sink for support he quickly brushed his hair out of his eyes and gave himself one last look. “Fine. But I’m not going into that damn wheel chair.”

“You can barely walk!” My protests were in vain.

“I’m fine,” Burgess snapped. He straightened his posture and attempted to make his point. There was a slight limp in his walk and he was already beginning to perspire.

“Woah, don’t push yourself.” I rushed to his side as his gait began to shatter.

“Can’t let anyone know I’m weak,” he muttered at me.

"You mean human?" I countered which won me a humored smile from him.

“I’ll be fine, thanks.”

“What do I have to do to convince you to just get in that chair?” I pointed to the metal contraption in a halfhearted plead. It looked as welcoming as a screaming metal death trap, and I understood why Burgess would find it unappealing.

“If I can make it out of the hospital without passing out, then I don’t need it.” Burgess’ stubbornness was stronger than my own.

“Whatever. Let’s just go.”

We both gradually exited the hospital, though he had to stop every few yards to take a deep breath and continue. Finally it ended with him leaning against me. “At least use a crutch.”

“Yeah, and look like Tiny Tim,” Burgess scoffed as he sunk into the seat of the limousine.

“Like you're anywhere near tiny. You’re being ridiculous!” I nagged and sat across from him. He wasn’t as heavy as I’d imagined him to be, and he was indeed very fragile. I expected the worst at the party that day, as though I was witnessing a crystal orb teetering over a table about to plummet and shatter.

“Did you invite Bohr Technologies?”

“…Yes, as you insisted.” I clenched my jaw. “You don’t need to prove anything to him.”

“There’s no need for your advice, employee.” Burgess tenderly stretched as he looked out the window.

“Well maybe you should start listening to some,” I could feel the problematic fireballs begin to escape my lips and I stopped speaking.

“How about you focus on that video game project.” Burgess sneered.

We finally arrived to the front of his building, and it was as though watching a movie premier take place. There was no red carpet, but flashing lights and the guests dressed in a mix of formal and business attire gave off the feeling that I wasn’t going to feel at ease when I left that limo.

I left the car first, and carefully helped Burgess as he struggled to stand straight.

And the cameras went ecstatic seeing their eye candy at his wounded state.

“Mr. Burgess,” A journalist yelled out over the screams of questions directed at him. "Do you have a moment?” The lady lurched her cameraman out of the crowd and in a gasp of breath squeezed the mike in her grip. “I’d just like to say that I’m sorry for what you’ve gone through.”

Burgess had a dark smile and began to humor her. “I appreciate the sympathy.” Burgess and I were about to head into the building but she continued to follow us.

“Could you please tell us what caused Richard Burgess to assault you?”

Burgess stopped and I could feel his weight against me lighten as he took a step away from me and closer to the lady. “It seems that he was hoping he would take back the company. Now, you'll have to excuse me. I regret that I can't spend more time with you but I have pressing matters to attend.” He waited for her to get out of his way.

“T-thank you,” She was flustered in what could have been fear or flattery.

“Wait,” A pair of photographers began taking more pictures. “Who’s this girl you’re with? A girlfriend?”

My cheeks flushed pink but I kept myself still and by his side.

“This is my assistant,” Burgess grudgingly answered as we finally entered through the front doors. Thankfully his guards were large and readily preventing the paparazzi from entering.

“Damn,” Burgess took a deep breath and I quickly held him as he took a few moments to catch his breath.

“Come on, take a seat,” I pulled him to a recliner.

Around us, there was a silence that was imploring and painful to endure. When Burgess sat down I looked up to see employees, guests, and security all with their eyes on their CEO. It was a sea of pity, worry, and intrigue.

The lobby had been transformed into a party room of sorts. It wasn’t even past noon and already there were hired servers with wine on their silver trays. From afar I could barely make out the figures of Jonathan Bohr and Lila Maddock. Madame Slater and Pierre were unable to attend this party, for there was much work to be done for the search for Terra.

“Now, how about a toast then?” Bohr took a glass of wine and held it up to Burgess, smiling that sadistic grin. “To Benjamin Burgess and his bravery.”

A waiter approached us with two glasses, which we both obliged and held out to complete the toast.

As the crowd began to settle and relax, I heard Burgess mutter, “Two-faced bitch,” And continued to stare in gloom at Bohr.

“Hello, Mr. Burgess,” Vern approached us with an unsure smile. “I just want to thank you so much for what you did that day. You saved my life. And Mary’s.” He looked at me with a hesitant eye.

“You’re welcome,” Burgess looked up at him. “And I apologize for the neglect in security that day. Burgess Incorporated is investigating who is at fault for the incident.”

“No, no,” Vern raised his hands to defend the security. “I’m sure they did their best.”

Burgess dismissed him with a nod and looked at me with a crooked smile. “At least no one’s making a point that I’m shirtless.”

“My my, you do realize that you’re chest is exposed,” Bohr approached us. “You just seem to be slowly slipping up, Ben.” He took another sip of the dark crimson wine, remnants of the liquid clinging to his lips. That, along with his pale skin and dark features made me shiver as he reminded me of a vampire, or something satanic. Of course, his typical black ensemble didn’t help free himself of that visage.

“And you just get better and better at kissing ass.” Burgess deflected and leaned back in his seat to scoff. “And that nice little speech you gave to CBS last week about me was just… so convincing. I almost believed it,” Burgess kept smiling that daring grin and I kept flashing worried glances at the two CEOs. You could see the electricity crackle between the two hostile men.

“Well, I’d love to stay and add insult to your injury but I’ve got other things that need to be done,” Bohr snapped his fingers at a waiter so he and Lila could surrender their wine glasses. “Goodbye.” He turned to leave, along with Lila who shot us a smirk.

“They’re being so stupid,” I commented and Burgess let out a laugh.

“Stupid. That’s the cruelest thing you can say?” He rested his chin in his hand. “You can’t help but be nice, can you?”

“Fine. They’re assholes.” I defensively sat down beside him.

He kept his amused expression as he watched me.

I rolled my eyes and continued. “They’re pathetic and act like losers.”

“Woah now, all this anger isn’t good for you. You’ll get grey hair.”

I self consciously pulled my hair behind my ear and scowled. “Ha ha.”

“How is it between you and… Charles?”

“We haven’t talked. We’re avoiding each other.” I ran my finger over the clear goblet and stared at the red wine that resembled a great deal like blood.

“Well, he’s stupid too.”

I looked at him, studying the spark in his blue eyes.

“He’s an asshole. And he’s the most pathetic person I know, and he certainly is a loser.”

“You’re horrible.” I blinked away a sting in my eyes and tried to stiffen the sudden surge of emotional pain that exploded in my chest.

“Please. If you’re going to act like this in public, then we can continue in my office. You’ve been avoiding this since the day he dumped you. Did he break your heart?”

“I don’t know.”

“That’s not an answer. Yes or no.”

“No.”

“Then why are you about to cry?”

“I’m not about to cry!” I whispered and bit my lip with fury.

“When a guy breaks your heart it’s something unforgiveable. But did he break your heart? Did you love Charles Walker?”

“I hardly know him.”

“Did he break your heart?” Burgess repeated as though obsessed with knowing my answer—an answer that I thought didn’t matter if it was a yes or a no.

“No.”

“Then why are you hurt?”

“Because he told me he used me. He led me on.” Trying to divert any more attention, I took a long drink of the bitter red liquid. The warm sensation from the alcohol began to help me release my stress, as though erasing the problems.

“People do horrible things to people to fulfill their own selfish agendas. Don’t act as though you’ve never been victimized. Weren't you ever used like that before?”

“I don't remember. Maybe I just take betrayal personally.”

“Good for you. It’s a personal attack. The reason I'm bothering you about this is because Madame Slater has begun to get on my back about it. So, I think it would kill a bird with a stone if you told Pierre that everything worked out.”

“She knows about that?” I was going to send a most unpleasant email involving capital letters to Pierre for blabbing about Walker.

“Yes, and she’s become a bit more meddlesome ever since Terra ran off without her knowing. And it’s annoying having her call twice a day asking about you.”

I shrugged, unphased.

“Also,” Burgess showed a slight discomfort in admitting it, “I need you. I can’t afford my PA to have any emotional dillemas. And I’ve noticed you’re not as happy as you normally act. So take care of this business with Walker. Or I’ll have to take care of it myself.” Despite his sharp tone, there was compassion in his eyes which he tried to hide by clearing his throat and slowly sitting up to study the party.

“All right, sir,” I looked away but then timidly looked back at him. “Thanks.”

He was suddenly fascinated with a group of directors in a corner, acting as though he didn’t hear me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update 3/23/10
One more surprise update, because I'm feeling so much love from you all that it wouldn't be right if I didn't give you guys just one more chapter today! A special thanks to that's dynamite ! for this sexy banner! I love you all so much!