What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Mistletoe Mayhem

“Mary, my sweet heart!” Madame Slater was wearing casual winter clothing and her hair was tied up in a high ponytail. She had lost weight and felt bonier as she squeezed me in a tight hug.

“Merry Christmas,” Burgess had a small bouquet of flowers for her that she accepted and gave her a small kiss on the cheek.

“And Walker!” She threw herself dramatically onto Walker and hugged him so that he let out a croak of pain.

“B-bonjour Madame,” He gritted his teeth and had saddened eyes. “I hope everything is going well.”

“It is to hell, but is getting better!” Madame Slater winked at me and had a devlish smile that made me want to run to Pierre to ask about.

“Ah, are you ready?” Pierre appeared behind me and I almost jumped out of my skin. “Merry Christmas to you too.”

“Merry Christmas. What’s this about getting ready for?” My suspicion radar was going wild.

“Watch were you walk under,” Pierre’s eyes twinkled in amusement at my horrified face, my mouth agape.

“Why?” I looked up and my heart sank into an endless pit at the sight of the little clusters of the lovely mistletoe scattered everywhere. It looked almost as though they were light fixtures, or the material that was used to build the ceiling. They were everywhere.

“You see, when I told Madame Slater that Ben and Charles would attend with you… she got—out of hand. And ordered two hundred bundles of these plants and had everyone up from early morning today hanging them up. She has made a game out of it, tallying which boy you kiss the most often. So be careful.”

“You don’t seem to mind,” I folded my arms and felt discouraged of moving. Thankfully I was safe from standing below the calamitous white berries—but I was just about surrounded by them.

“Thankfully, I’m immune. And Madame Slater is as well. But I don’t think Ben and Charles even noticed, have they?”

I shook my head and let out a small laugh. “Are they always so… Grr… with each other?”

Pierre smiled at me. “Grr wouldn’t do it justice. Childhood rivalry never dies.”

“Hell no!” Walker’s voice yelled out, springing off the walls like a vocal jackrabbit.

Pierre and I rushed into the next room, a living room, to see that Walker and Burgess were both standing under the largest bush of mistletoe. Slater was laughing in childish ecstasy and Pierre was snickering. My lips started quivering as I hugged myself from giggling.

“You know the rules, my sweeties,” Slater sighed with joy. “I always knew you two were meant to be together!”

“Madame Slater,” Walker’s eyes went somber and large as his whine was almost identical to a young child, “I thought this was going to be a fun time, don’t be mean.”

“Oh, you know I was just kidding,” Slater gave him another hug and I just looked at Pierre who gave me a breath of disappointment.

“All Walker would ever do is put on that creepy voice and Slater just melts. Lucky bastard,” Pierre stopped as I gave him a weird look. “I mean that in the most affectionate of ways.”

“Oh, Mary, could you come over here for a second?” Madame Slater was waving her hand at me while a camera in the other was held tightly. I want a picture of you three, it’s a shame my daughter won't be in it since she has run off—but it will have to do!”

Quickly I went and stood awkwardly inbetween the tall boys as I looked over our heads in paranoia.

“Look at the camera, sweetie,” A click sounded as soon as Slater counted, catching us off guard. “Now, Pierre, be a dear and speak to the chef. Everyone, please, sit—sit!” Madame Slater seemed a bit more energetic than normal and she quickly led the guests into her dining room where beautiful crystals sparkled with candlelight.

The flash of the digital camera had blinded me temporarily, and I quickly stepped aside to be alone.

My eyes landed on a giant fireplace that could easily have fit five people inside. Large stacks of wood fed the consuming fire, and my eyes hurt at the bright lights.

Taking a seat at the head of the table, Madame Slater’s eyes flashed in wicked triumph at me and I could feel the very blood in my face rush out. I was trapped. Doomed.

“Ah, Mary! Charles! Look above!” She ordered and folded her fingers together into a mesh.

“Mistle Toe.” Walker bluntly muttered without a reaction until he lowered his head at me and around wildly. “Wait, you’re not going to—“

“Tradition, Charles, tradition! It would be insulting if you don’t abide to tradition!” Slater rambled and let out an eager giggle.

I could feel someone watching me, and I instinctively looked afar to see Burgess with his jaw clenched and he looked on coldly.

“I mean,” Walker began to put on the gift of the gab in a futile attempt to escape. “Mary and I have kissed… plenty of times. It wouldn't be that much of a show.”

“Not helping,” I hissed hurriedly.

“And it doesn’t seem right. I mean it’s too personal a display, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Oh, I don’t mind. What about you, Ben, do you mind?” Slater threw the spotlight upon the looming man whose darkened expression was giving off a scary aura. After a silence for response, Slater turned with a pleased smile. “See? He doesn’t mind.”

“Uh, but he sure looks like he does.”

“Oh, what’s the big deal?” Slater sighed in frustration. “Do you even know the myth of mistletoe? Love! It two people do not kiss than the world will fall ot chaos! Anarchy will take over! Tragedy!”

“Fine,” Walker snapped and quickly kissed me on the cheek. “There,” he sighed and quickly took a seat to Slater’s right.

Before the Madame could raise her voice to object, the house servants bustled in with trays of food to serve.

“I took it upon myself to have the cooks prepare a traditional American Christmas dinner. With baked turkey and… mashed potatoes.” There was a dance within Slater’s eyes and the red on her cheeks showed that she was already drunk. “Help yourself to the chardonnay! Pierre, my love,” Slater waited for her assistant to take his seat. “You missed a most adorable kiss of Walker and Mary!” She let out a hiccup and laughed.

Pierre threw me an apologetic look that whispered, ‘See?’ through the wrinkle in his eyebrows.

I quickly threw a glance at Burgess who was emotionless and looked at Slater with a heinous stare. His eyes flashed to me and I quickly looked down at my plate with shame burning. And I didn’t understand why! It wasn’t even that big of a deal, I told myself.

As conversation turned one sided during the drab feast, the topic had turned to futures.

“You see,” Madame Slater was slurring her words and with a thicker French accent it didn’t help when I tried to understand her, “Burgess has his future already set out. He has his own company, and when he has his own child he will pass the legacy down. My daughter Terra is so independent she just leaves without so much as a phone call! But you two,” She pointed at Walker and I with a disapproved frown, “I am so worried about you two.”

“We’re fine,” Walker answered for both of us.

“Sure, you worked your way into college. I offered to pay and pull a few strings to make you a Princeton boy! But no! You had to work hard for your education! And with your health, it only became harder for you. And all you do is cut fish and serve it on some cheap vinegar laced rice.” The woman downed a full glass of champagne and snapped her finger for a server to refill her glass.

“I am happy, my dear Madame Slater.” Walker passionately hissed. “You of all people should be proud of it. I could…” Walker raised his hands to the splendor of luxury around us, “…never find peace in your world. I am happy with nothing.”

I froze at what he said and looked at him with fascination and admiration. He had a way of sounding beautiful, as though his words were all a wise song.

Burgess cleared his throat, attracting everyone’s attention like an electromagnet. “Well, I think you’re a fool.” He paused. “But I respect you.” His jaw was clenched and he sat back with a shamed stare.

I cocked my head as I tried to understand what Burgess was trying to do, but Walker grinned at the man and replied, “Thanks, Benny. Means a lot.”

A pause, then, “And what of you, Mary?” It was my turn to face the torture chamber of Slater’s interrogations.

“I’m doing well,” I nodded and kept my gaze with her as her eyes scanned my face.

“I know you’ve finished your high school education at a… public institute. Surely college is your next step,” Slater huffed as though the very idea was ridiculous to think otherwise. “Now tell me, how is your part time studies? What school are you attending?”

“I was focusing more on working for Burgess a little longer, until I save enough money to start. Maybe I’ll work on an Associate’s degree at the community college.” I was shy and my words grew softer as everyone’s silence and stares dug at me with more fury.

Slater was humming to herself, as though she was lost in her own little world until she suddenly bounced off her seat. “An associate’s degree… at a community college… did you hear that, Burgess?” There was no mocking or cruelty in her voice. Instead there was a saddened sigh that escaped her lips. “My dear, a different world is ahead, and I won’t let you just settle for humble education! Name your school, and it shall be yours.”

“No, I can’t do that,” I clenched my teeth behind my closed lips, the temptation overpowering. But I had pride. “People work hard to get into school all the time. In high school, there were a lot of people who’d study harder than I and made it to good schools,” I let out a breath. “And I didn’t work as hard as they did, so I don’t deserve it.”

“Yes you do,” Burgess inputted. We looked at each other, his face full of endearing. “Everyone deserves a chance. I’ll help you.”

“Stop,” I shook my head and raised my hands to protest. “Please.”

“You know, Mary,” Walker added, with humility. “You don’t have to do what I did. I chose not to because I can't stand that world. But you could. This is a good opportunity for you. Don’t throw it away without thinking about it.”

“Let’s not talk about this,” my face was red and I didn’t like how everyone was ganging up with me. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself nor escape the humiliation of getting a free ride without earning it. I was proud, I know. But I wanted to be noble. I didn’t want to just get something, because I was scared that I’d never appreciate it fully. I didn't want it to change me.

“Fine,” Walker seemed to understand and he nodded slowly and diverted the subject. “Besides, Madame Slater, it isn’t just vinegar that’s used! We use a special blend to refine our rice—it’s a little secret that me and Lawrence do to help add that extra flavor…”

As I listened to Walker lecture of the importance of originality and the integrity of sushi, I looked at Burgess who had the look that clearly said, ‘We’re not done with this, and we’ll continue this discussion later.’

A knock on the door interrupted the heated lecture of Walker’s, and Slater stood up with her lower lip tightly between her teeth as she quickly lunged toward the front door.

Pierre was quick to follow suit, and the remaining three of us couldn’t help but follow.

“Where have you been?!” Madame Slater was exclaiming in a fit of sobs that showered in relief.

I witnessed a scene of the perfect display of a mother and her child. There was a very beautiful girl who resembled the Madame a great deal, only with darker hair and a younger frame. She was rubbing her mother’s back, her face held a gentle smile at the overflowing attention she was receiving. Slater’s face was dressed in her tears and I wished that I had a camera to capture the beautiful moment.

“I’m sorry, mother. I wasn’t near a phone for the past months.”

“Bull crap,” Pierre took a step toward the two, his arms folded. “You’ve kept us all worried senseless.

“Pierre,” Terra smiled warmly at the man and pulled from her mother to give the assistant a strong hug. “Merry Christmas.”

Walker fidgeted beside me, and he gave me a look that signaled warning.

“And who else is here?” Terra murmured to herself as she continued. “Ben, you look healthy. And Charles? I hardly recognize you with all that hair…” She gave each boy a quick kiss on the cheek. “And who is this?” Her eyes stared boldly into mine, and swallowed as she blinked slowly.

“This is Mary. She’s Ben’s new assistant.” Pierre looked at me and back at Terra, as though expecting something to happen. Something not pleasant.

“She’s a dear, Terra. I'm sure you two will be good friends!” Madame Slater came up and wrapped her arm around her daughter. “Come, we’ll set up another place for you. Thank God, you’ve come! I missed you so, and Christmas isn’t the same without you!”

I flinched when Terra held out her hand to me, and I weakly took it to find it was cold and flawlessly white. “Hi,” I felt my cheeks tighten in a forced smile that probably looked as though I was passing gas. A lot of gas.

“Hi,” She replied back, her eyes went down to my feet and back up with a dismissed nod. Finally, we broke free, and I quickly retreated to Ben’s side. She turned to leave, when there was a sudden gasp from Madame Slater.

“Look, my sweethearts! Mistletoe!” There was a giddy giggle coming from the woman as she looked up at the cluster of berries and down at the couple who were doomed.

And wouldn’t you know it, but it was Ben and I. As though it would make a difference, Ben and I jumped away from each other as though the other was a leper.

“You can’t escape it!” The woman folded her arms in triumph. “Let’s see a kiss, and not that cheap one that Walker gave before.”

“I agree,” Pierre had a small smile as he showed an interest in the conflict. “Wouldn’t you agree, Walker? Terra?”

“Hey,” Walker shrugged and held his hands up as he backed away. “I’m staying out of this.” He threw me a gaze of pity, and Terra tilted her head as she waited for the next action to happen.

“We don’t have to do anything of the kind.” Burgess took another step back and glared harshly at his opposition. They were all waiting patiently.

“Look, we can just get it over with and move on, or we can just spend the entire weekend waiting for it to happen. And trust me,” Pierre let out a sigh, “We will be forced to spend this entire weekend waiting for it.”

“Oui. We’re not going anywhere until there’s an exchange of—how you say—holiday lip locking!” Slater clapped her hands together as she waited with anticipation.

I looked at the ground, hoping that the woman would just give up with her mistletoe scheme. Ben seemed as though he was about to pop an artery, but he finally slumped his shoulders gallantly. I was shocked at how he easily gave up, and I raised my eyebrows to silently demand an explanation from him.

“Fine.” He turned to me, his cheeks lightly brazen as he avoided my face.

“What?” My jaw dropped and I shook my head. “No, I’m not— ” I ran out of words to say as my boss was only a few inches away.

Ben placed both hands on my shoulders, gripping them powerfully as he leaned over to have his lips reach mine. There was a sudden push of his warm mouth and it was only an awkward few seconds before Ben pulled away, his cheeks brimming with an embarrassed flush. My face was exploding in red and burned with a heat that made me sniff at the vulnerability I felt.

“There. That wasn't so hard, was it?” Despite the clear disappointment in her eyes she smiled with a new spark that made me dread the future. “Now, let us go back to dinner!”

Buzzed and excited, Madame Slater took her daughter in her arms and began speaking rapidly in French to her. In my daze, I stumbled back to the table, separate from everyone else.

But it wasn’t until Terra turned around and shot me the most hateful stare that I felt cold all over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 3/29/10