What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Video Games

I knew I was dreaming. Amazing as it sounds, I knew that I was asleep but I still couldn’t wake up. But everything around me felt so real, I didn’t care if it was all part of my subconscious’ imagination.

I was in a meadow in late summer. I don’t remember where, but I was happy. The sun was warm against my shoulders, and I was barefoot in the endless fields of lush green grass.

There were so many dandelions everywhere, freshly bloomed patches and the occasional aged white fuzz ball that exploded in the gentle breeze.

“Mary,” Burgess called from behind me. I eagerly turned my head, feeling my hair fly about from my excitement. He was standing there, only a few feet away. He was as beautiful as ever, and a warm smile radiated from his mouth. He held out his hand, and I ran to him but stopped as I stared at him carefully. “What’s wrong?”

“I thought you were gone,” I answered and I looked above to see that the clear blue sky had begun to darken when silvery white clouds began to cover the sun occasionally. My eyes stung when I looked at the light, but I couldn’t turn away.

“Mary, I’m here, aren’t I?” Burgess walked up and hugged me, his body warm. But there was something I couldn’t understand that felt out of place. He didn’t smell the same.

“Are you wearing different cologne?” I murmured as my face was buried in his chest.

Burgess let out a hearty laugh, full of life and contentment that I didn’t think of anything else. “No, it’s the same.” He ran his fingers through my hair, tickling my scalp as he leaned forward to kiss me. “Mary, I love you.”

Why was I crying? I realized that I was starting to have my tears fall down my cheeks, and I sniffed and coughed as I struggled to breathe. I was rubbing my lips with a hand, the sensation of touch not going into my fingers.

“You’re so beautiful,” Burgess whispered and he pulled my hand away to take its place. The way his mouth felt was forceful, strong, and full of control. At first I was unsure of what to do, but I began to grind my jaw against his, though I couldn’t move my arms. He was holding them down. “Sie sind so schön. Ich liebe dich,” Burgess murmured as he began to pull at my shirt, his fingers beginning to search my bare skin.

I felt cold all over and I pulled back. “What did you say?” My heart echoed all around me: Badump. Badump. Badump.

“Ich liebe dich,” Burgess repeated, his eyes closed and he leaned closer to reclaim my lips. Hearing him say it a second time caused the blood in my body to freeze. It wasn’t his voice.

“No, who are you?” I snapped as I forced myself free and backed away warily.

“Ich liebe dich,” Burgess grabbed my shoulder and pulled me close against him.


I awoke, feeling unfamiliar wet lips against my cheek to provide a slobbery kiss. That unfamiliar perfume was stronger than ever, and whoever was ontop of me had his hands under my shirt. Full of horrible grief I quickly grabbed the nearest object which I felt around on a nightstand by the bed I was pinned down upon. A cold and hard object reached my grasp, and I flung it as hard as I could at the head of my enemy.

“Bumsen!” The boy jumped back, grabbing at his temple gingerly with watery eyes.

I threw the object (which I noted was an old fashioned alarm clock) at him with all my might, hitting him square on the chin. He clutched his face, howling in a German rant while I leaped off the bed and ran to the nearest door.

“Wartezeit!” The assailant flung out of the room and grabbed me by the wrist. “Ich erkläre!”

“Get away, and stay away!” I slapped his face as hard as I could but he grabbed the other wrist.

“You only speak English, ya?” The German enunciated in a thick accent. “I am sorry, please, let me explain.”

“Oh yeah?” I was breathing hard and my face was burning to the point of contributing to global warming. He kissed me. I felt like a traitor, thinking that this monster was anywhere close to Burgess. Of course, he wasn’t as hideous as a monster, but I had just been traumatized to the point of no longer caring what he looked like. All I could do was hate this stranger with all my being. “There’s no possible reason that is rational for what you were doing! Get away from me, you sexual predator!”

The boy laughed, and he took a step back, still holding his hands up in surrender. “Look, I’m sorry—you’re right. I just thought you looked so peaceful and when I heard you mumble in your sleep I went closer to hear you. And then you grabbed me and pulled me to you. I swear it!”

“Shut up!” I snapped and looked around wildly. I was getting used to the surroundings to see that we were in a lavish room, and then I was struck with a reminder of what had happened. “I’m being kidnapped!” I gasped and wrapped my arms around myself to remain calm. I flashed my eyes to him. “You’re one of them, aren’t you?”

The boy shrugged and scuffled his feet. “I have no idea of the affairs of my brother and his business. I just live here, in this home and attend school. That is all. This is my room, but Jon wants me to keep an eye on you. I told him to put you in the guest wing, but he refused. I just do what I am told.”

I stared at him, confused and feeling my temples throb with the stress. I knew what the middle aged meant by feeling their hair turn gray. I bet I was popping out with silvery locks right where I stood. “You’re that… man’s… brother?” I blurted out with disbelief. Closely, I could see a heavy resemblance of black hair, black eyes, white skin, and a decent face. But there was actually a smile on this person’s face that threw off the visage of Bohr’s haunting existence. This boy didn’t seem the least bit vindictive or evil.

“Ya. Baby brother, at that,” The boy held out his hand. “My name is Adelmo Bohr. I must apologize for my brother, he is a bit controlling at times.”

“A bit? He’s dragged me to a different country!” I yelled as loudly as I could, my shrill voice echoing off the wooden floors. I was out of breath and my neck was sore. Shaking, I backed away. “I’m getting out of here. I’m grabbing the nearest flight back to the United States and I’m never traveling again!”

“Calm yourself,” Adelmo quickly jumped to block my escape. “I know this is horrible, but you can’t risk angering my brother. Just wait until he has cooled off and gotten what he wants and he’ll let you go.” I tried to get around him but he persisted, “There are armed guards everywhere. Cameras watch every inch of this place. In fact, you’re being bugged right now.”

Paranoia rushed into me and I tried to get away from him as possible. “Just stay away from me,” I ordered as my back collided with the corner of a wall. I slid down to my knees and shielded my body with my arms as though he was about to hit me.

“I’m not going to hurt you; I do not participate in my brother’s line of work.” Adelmo was holding out his hand. “Like it or not, I’m the only friend you’ve got for now. As long as you’re with me, the guards won’t give you any trouble if you want to wander the premises.”

“Oh yeah, and feeling me up when I’m unconscious isn’t hurting me at all,” I narrowed my eyes with a hiss. “I bet you’re just like your brother.”

“Judge not, lest ye be judged.” Adelmo took my hand and pulled me to my feet. “You were unconscious for two days. I don’t know what they drugged you with, but you need to get something to drink. I’m taking you to the kitchen.” Adelmo pulled me with authority but was gentle when he led me through the halls of the Bohr mansion.

How is a person supposed to feel in that kind of circumstance? Confused? Yes. Scared? Definitely. Angry? Oh hell yes. But I wasn’t feeling any of those things anymore. The only thing I wanted was to go home.

“So, what would you like? We have…” Adelmo went through his fridge, “milk, juice, cider…”

“Just water,” I muttered as I backed away to find a way to escape. I crept to the nearest door but one of Bohr’s suited men walked by with a watching glare. I sighed and crept back to Adelmo’s side.

“All right,” Adelmo took out bottled water and tossed it to me. After I took a few uneasy sips, he licked his lips then asked, “So… what do you want to do?”

“Go home,” I glumly looked at him with as much enthusiasm as a frog on a log.

“Well,” Adelmo checked his watch. “It’s seven and the sun is down. We can’t visit the garden. Have you ever played video games?”

“I don’t want to play right now, thanks,” I turned my back to him and looked out at a glass door that led from the kitchen to a balcony. The sky was dark, but beautiful. It was too bad that I wasn’t able to truly enjoy the tranquility.

“Come on, I’ll show you this new game that I built. I want an honest opinion from a stranger. The living room is this way,” The young Bohr led me to a few rooms over, where the largest screen was hanging on the wall. It wasn’t a freaking living room, it was a grand theater. Propped on an elegant table was a video game console, which Bohr turned on. He tossed me a wireless controller. “You’re familiar with this system, ya?”

I coldly looked at the piece of technology, wanting to throw it at his head.

“All right,” Adelmo forced a small laugh and set up the game. He was nervous, I could see beads of sweat starting to form at his forehead. He was trying too hard, and it showed. “It’s my first official game that I’ll be selling independently. I’ve been working on it for two years now. I finished it last week. My brother wants to use it for the company but, like I said, I want nothing to do with it… so…” The guy was at a loss of words as I stared blankly at him.

Despite my wallowing, I sat down at a very plush recliner and looked up at the enormous screen. I had to scoot the furniture back just to get a better peripheral view. The reason I was being submissive to Adelmo was because I felt pity for him. He didn’t seem like a manipulative or cruel man like his brother. I couldn’t hate someone just because they were related to a monster. Maybe I was just desperate to not have any more complications while I was being held captive. Better to befriend the enemy in exchange for peace, I told myself.

And I hoped that something as useless as a video game could help me keep my mind occupied. If I had to think about what Bohr’s plan was any longer, my brain would melt out of my ears.

I admit, Adelmo’s video game looked promising. It was an action role playing game, and the graphics were so realistic that it almost felt real. I spent a great deal of time just trying to change the facial structure of my character, my eyes wide at how similar I could make the character’s face resemble my own.

“You did the graphics yourself?” I mumbled shyly as I moved the controls like a novice.

“Yep. Took me six months nonstop. One of the hardest parts. I’m still working on it though, because I don’t have any voice actors for the dialogue.” Adelmo had a character already on the other panel, moving around the virtual world.

Time went by swiftly, and I was relieved to have put my mind at ease. I almost didn’t realize that I was being held there against my will, Adelmo’s game was that captivating. But that didn’t mean I enjoyed my time there. While I was using up my time, I was also trying to think of a plan to escape.

The door to the room opened slowly, and a few pairs of footsteps sounded on the floor. Although I could practically sense who it was, I refused to look away from the screen. I just hoped he would go away.

“Adelmo, you seem to have made her comfortable,” Jonathan Bohr sneered as he went up to the screen so he would be the center of attention. “How are you feeling, Ms. Hall?”

“What do you think?” I jumped up to my feet, my face contorted into a hideous scowl. I turned around to see Lila Maddock, my mother, and the scarred man. I wasn’t getting out of this.

“I think you should show a little more gratitude that I’ve been this hospitable.” Bohr folded his arms and gestured with his jaw to the exit. “Come, it’s time to make a phone call. Stay here, Adelmo.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” I put the controller down, folding my arms. I was trembling, my eyes as wide as they could be.

“Recks, if you please.” Bohr turned and began to leave.

‘Recks’, the spooky figure quickly nodded his head, baring his teeth to reveal how sharp they were, like that of a shark. He quickly grabbed me by the shoulders and picked me up to my feet without so much as a breath of struggle. “We can make this easy, or hard. Your call,” he gruffly hissed in my ear, causing me to jolt away from him. His breath was foul, strong with the scent of fungus.

Eager but wary of what Bohr was planning, I followed my captors through the house into a large study, where Bohr took a seat behind his desk. He took his phone and dialed a number rapidly, putting it on speakerphone. “Feel free to sound as feeble and scared as you’d like.” He kept his black eyes upon me, and I clenched my jaw as crept closer to the phone.

Two rings were all that took until the phone was answered with an out of breath, “Hello?”

“Ben?” I felt relief run through me like fresh air. “Ben, are you okay?”

“Am I okay?! What about you? Has he hurt you?” Ben rapidly demanded a typhoon of questions. “Where are you?”

“I’m in Berlin,” I quickly answered. “I’m alive—that’s what matters. I'm sure it's at his house.”

“All right, I’m going there right now. And I’ll be notifying the police in your area.”

“Honestly, Ben,” Bohr called in, “Surely you know by now that they’re all paid off. No one’s coming to her rescue except for you. And I’m not giving her back unless you trade what I want.”

“What do you want?” Ben was furious, his voice full of protective frustration.

“Your game project. I want it all; your files, your progress—everything. Bring them here and I will let her go.”

“Fine.”

“No,” I shook my head. “Your company’s worked hard on that project. You’ve spent days nonstop on it.”

“Screw the project, if he wants it so badly he can have it. I just want you safe.”

“Really…” Bohr raised an eyebrow as his mind began to analyze me. “This is easier than I hoped.” There was a clear sound of disappointment in his words. He just wanted to cause trouble, not to project.

“Bohr, if you hurt her, I swear I’ll kill you myself.”

“Relax,” Bohr bared his teeth but then his mouth curled into a malicious smile. “I haven’t so much as touched her. But my employee, on the other hand, likes to get a little physical with my guests.”

“…What?” Burgess’ voice was full of disbelief. “Mary, are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yes,” I held onto my shoulder as a bruise from the kidnapping throbbed painfully. “I’m just a little nervous. Please, hurry.” There was shame on my face when I asked him for help. I asked myself what else I was to do, but my pride was wounded at how powerless I was in the situation. I just wanted to go back to my condo with Lucy and Walker. I wanted to see Ben again. And I wanted to just forget about Bohr and what he had done.

“I’m driving to the airport,” I could barely hear the roar of an engine and there were a few yells of a Frenchman. Burgess yelled back, “Baisez-vous!—I’m almost there. Bohr, don’t hurt her.” Though Burgess sounded calm, there was an imploring ring in his words, almost scared. And fear was contagious, as I was beginning to tremble again.

“All right then,” There was more of Bohr’s tone of being setback, but he quickly hung up the phone. He leaned back, inhaled deeply, and then asked, “You have feelings for Ben?”

“That’s none of your business,” I bared my teeth and looked over at Lila, whose face was contorted in a displeased frown.

“I’m making it my business,” Bohr replied as curiosity bloomed on his face. “If you don’t have any feelings for him, then how would you like to work for me?”

“Wait, why?” I shook my head in disbelief at how his mind worked. “What do you want, Bohr? And I mean why do you keep interfereing with Burgess Incorporated? And Slater Enterprise?” I remembered the man who had washed Slater’s windows. “You are responsible for the fire, aren’t you?” I spat with a growing rage. I waited for him to answer.

“Yes, I paid this man, Recks Simpson, to destroy the Slater residence.” There wasn’t a single trace of remorse in his face or even a care in his voice.

“Why?” I asked again and slammed my hands as hard as I could on his desk. Pain shot up through both my hands and I squinted from the sting.

“I place Bohr Technologies above all things. And I cannot accept weak competition that stubbornly stays alive--like a weed that won't wither. Slater Enterprise was a drab computer company. Their products were strictly built to correspond with only Burgess Incorporated technology. That alliance was underhanded and annoyed me. I couldn’t manipulate either company while they worked together.” Bohr went up to his feet and held his hands behind his back as he walked around his desk to come closer to me. “It took me four years to slowly drain away Slater Enterprise’s funds. Thankfully, Terra Slater’s poor financial ethics helped with that. I was so close to getting rid of that corporate thorn in my sight. The only problem would have been Burgess’ interference. But I was sure that with the proper leverage with Slater, she would refuse his offer of assistance.”

“What was this leverage?”

“Why, the precious Terra Slater, of course.” Bohr smirked as though it was the most obvious fact known to man. “I simply made a few threats and Madame Slater agreed to let her company die. She would go bankrupt, ruined, and living like that imbecile, Richard Burgess.”

“But when Slater did go through with Burgess’ plan, Terra went missing.” It dawned on me on what Bohr had done.

“And so the pieces fall into place,” Bohr nodded at me. “Good to know you’re not a complete idiot. Yes, I took care of Terra. I gave her a few million dollars for her to stay out of public eye for a few months.”

“Why didn’t you just kidnap her?” I raised an eyebrow.

Bohr let out a slow snicker, as though the question was a stupid one. “That would unnecessary, for Terra Slater is as clever and manipulative as I am. We are allies; friends. We have been for quite some time.”

“Wait,” I was skeptical. “So you hate Slater Enterprise, but you get along with Terra?”

“Oh, I couldn’t possibly hate Terra. She’s like a soul mate. In fact, she was the one who inspired me to take down her mother’s company. She is my right hand,” Bohr held out his arm dramatically.

A scuffle turned my attention and I saw Lila Maddock looking sourly at Bohr, envy in her eyes.

“I don’t believe you,” I shook my head and closed my eyes. “Terra wouldn’t do something like that to her mother.”

“Your own mother lured you to me for some petty cash and some cocaine. You don’t think that a princess wouldn’t overthrow the queen if she was promised the whole kingdom?”

“Why?”

“Why? Why? Why…” Bohr imitated me with annoyance. “We could go forever, you asking and me answering.

“You’re a bastard,” I felt nausea and feared I was about to throw up. I still didn’t fully understand his motives for all of the pain he was causing, but I felt he shared that in common with Madame Slater. They both liked to stir trouble merely for their amusements. The only difference is Bohr wanted to hurt people and Slater wanted harmless drama.

“That’s right, I am,” Bohr grabbed my chin and pulled me closer to him. I could feel his breath and see the moistness of his eyes, glaring at me with ambition and strength. “And I’m just getting warmed up.”

A spark was cracked in my chest, and I whispered, “So you’re going to start by taking an idea from Burgess Incorporated? Do you honestly think that trading me for that project is going to make you any more of a CEO? It'll just be something you stole." My voice lowered to a slow whisper, "You’ll never be as great as Benjamin Burgess.”

Bohr’s eyes dimmed as though going numb from my words. And suddenly he swung his hand back and backhanded me with such power that my teeth cut into my cheek and I tasted blood. I rubbed my burning skin as I hissed at the agony.

I looked up to see my mother, her eyes looking through me. She didn’t care. And that’s what stung the most.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 4/19/10