What Can You Not Buy With Money?

The Confession

“Shit, let me get some ice,” Adelmo saw my bruised cheek and he quickly went to the freezer for a pack. He grabbed a towel and held it to my cheek gingerly. “I’m sorry, Jon hardly loses his temper like that…” He licked his lips then asked, “What did you say to him?”

“That he’s pathetic.” I shrugged it but my eyes were stinging from tears that I refused to let escape. I wasn’t going to cry on the enemy’s territory, no matter how painful my cheek throbbed.

Adelmo’s eyes widened. He looked around to make sure no one was around to overhear. He looked at a few corners where the cameras were positioned, and then he leaned into my ear and whispered, “I snuck into security while you were in his office. I know what my brother wants, and I want to help you. You can have my video game when he takes Burgess’.”

My eyes widened and I whispered back, “I can’t just take it, you’ve worked so hard on it.”

“All my life my brother’s been in control. And I’m too scared to stand up to him. Take it, it’s my apology for what I did when you were asleep… and for my brother. You don’t even have to give me credit. And Jon won’t find out, he never cared to actually look at my game. I don’t mind.”

“Thank you,” I smiled back with forgiveness shining on my face. “But I’ll make sure you’ll take credit somehow. A pseudonym or something.”

“You are so kind, thank you.” Adelmo lifted the ice pack off my face and gave it to me. “Come, let me grab everything that you will need. Perhaps you would like to shower before you leave? Your friend should arrive in two hours.” He took me to a section of the home that I assumed was the guest wing. “I have some movies in English to help pass the time as well.”

“This is going to sound… offensive… but how could you be related to that guy?” I felt my eyebrows crinkle with disdain at mentioning him. The boy was kind and compassionate. Selfless.

Adelmo smiled with sadness, replying, “We do not choose our family. But they are still family none the less. And even though my brother has hurt many people, I still love him. How can I not? He has cared for me when our parents wouldn’t and has never done anything wrong to me that I haven’t forgiven. We both have hurt each other, and what I’m about to do for you is going to be a horrible betrayal to my own kin… but what am I saying,” Adelmo blushed and cleared his throat. He chose a room and opened it for me. “Feel free to help yourself in the room. I’ll back soon; I need to get some things for preparation."

When I entered the room, I felt as though entering a forbidden portal. When I closed the door behind me, I went to a dresser where a mirror was pristine upon the wall. My reflection frightened me. I had dark circles under my eyes and a purple patch where Bohr had struck me. There was also the dust of age covering my skin and I looked so old and worn out that I almost couldn't recognize myself.

The door behind me swung open, and I turned with a small smile for Adelmo. But I quickly lost all fragments of good feeling when Lila Maddock entered, her arms folded and her face full of sour grim.

“What is it?” I asked timidly, my body prepared to flee if she started anything violent. She looked menacingly, and I was prepared for her to lash out at me.

“You know Terra Slater. You’ve spoken to her.” She was solemn, as though she was in mourning.

“Yes,” I cautiously nodded. “I have.”

“Is she… beautiful?” Lila’s eyes unfocused from me as she went to check her face in the mirror. “Jonathan hardly lets me involved in the serious matters of Bohr Technologies… so I’ve never actually seen her in real life. Does the magazines do her justice?”

“Why do you care?” I took a step back, hoping that Adelmo was close by.

“Oh, nevermind.” Lila fussed, her cheeks going a light pink. “It’s not like you’d understand, anyway.” She sniffed as she brushed by to leave. “I..." She looked like she was struggling to say something, yet her pride cut through her vocal cords and she stopped herself in midsentence. "Just so you know, I had no idea that Bohr was planning to bring you here. So..." She turned away, her face unreadable but her voice stubborn and hard. "I’ll see you next time in America.” And with that, she left.

The two hours flew by fast, and Burgess still hadn’t arrived. I noticed I was developing a nervous habit of wringing my hands to the point of them being red from the self inflicted Indian burns.

And then a voice yelled out, “Where is she?”

I flung myself out of the room, Adelmo quickly behind me, with a manila folder that held all of the flash drives, CDs, and information on his game. On the other side of the house, down the hall, Burgess had a large steel briefcase and he looked like he was about to collapse from exhaustion.

“Ben,” I called out, the widest smile on my face as I quickly went toward him. Freedom was physically standing not far from me and I wanted to rush and embrace it; to hold it with all my heart and never let it go.

Bohr appeared in my vision, speaking quietly to Burgess who looked as though he was about to wring his neck. After a few hushed words, Burgess shoved the case to his enemy and quickly ran to me.

He threw his arms around me, holding on as though I was going to disappear again. “Mary,” Ben's tired eyes were suddenly full of life and relief, but despite his smiling and relief there was still the pale in his skin's color and his well sculpted cheekbones were showing through his face. It felt like years since I last saw him. His hands went to my face and he carefully ran his fingers over my skin. “Who hit you?” He demanded as his face contorted in an impassioned fury at the sight of my bruise.

I shook my head to deny it but my eyes flashed over to Bohr who was looking at us with a smug pose.

Burgess turned and glared down at Bohr for a second and then punched him in the jaw. The force of the assault was so great that Bohr was flung against the wall, clutching his mouth as he let out a dark laugh. “Aren’t you forgetting something, Ms. Hall?” Bohr took out of his pocket the Smartphone. “One of my employees recovered this when you were asleep.”

Burgess swiped it angrily, his eyes shooting invisible lasers at his rival. “Come on: Before I change my mind about leaving without blood on my hands.” Burgess put his arms around my shoulders protectively and pulled me to the nearest exit.

“Wait,” I pulled away and he stared after me in shock, wondering what I would possibly want with staying in the mansion any second longer. I went up to Adelmo, throwing a quick hug of gratitude. “Thank you again. You’re a real friend. Can you give me an email address or a phone number?”

Adelmo looked worriedly at Burgess who was looking at him with menace. “Sure, here’s a card. Take care, okay? Oh,” he pulled from behind the folder. “Here, and good luck.” I looked nervously at Bohr, who was eying the folder curiously. Adelmo wouldn't show face to his older brother, which was best as I knew that Jonathan would eventually figure out what had happened. "Don't worry," Adelmo forced a smile that twinkled like wishing stars, "I'll be fine. Go home."

“Thanks,” I repeated and waved. I went back to Burgess and we left that nightmare at Bohr’s home behind.

“Who was he?” Burgess demanded as his driver was taking us to the airport. He had his hands on me, as though he couldn’t believe I was alive. I had collapsed once were were driving away, my head heavy and resting against his shoulder. It felt like serenity to feel his solid and warm body against mine.

“That was Adelmo Bohr… the younger brother.”

“I don’t trust him,” Burgess proclaimed, envy dripping from his words as he continued his angry rant. “I’m going to make Jonathan Bohr and his family pay.”

“I’m sorry,” I bowed my head and placed my hand onto his arm in hopes to calm him. I could care less for what he did with Jonathan, but Adelmo had done Burgess Incorporated a favor. I felt that his videogame would turn out even better than our original. “It’s my fault the project’s been uprooted.”

“Forget about the project,” Burgess hastily ordered. “You have no idea how worried I’ve been. None of the police would cooperate, there were no clues, I was without so much as a goddamn lead.” Burgess held the bridge of his nose as he sighed. “I thought I’d never see you again.”

“You’ve saved me again. You’re like my guardian angel.” I put my hand onto his lap, feeling adoration toward him. “I can’t say thank you enough for everything.”

Burgess smirked but his eyes looked tired. “I’m going to make sure nothing like this happens again.” He gently ran his thumb over my bruised cheek. “I don’t think I could take it if you're hurt anymore.”

I closed my eyes as he pulled me closer to him, his lips almost touching mine.

But a sudden bump of the car caused us to separate.

I held out Adelmo’s game. “At least we got something out of all this.”

“What’s that?” Curiosity distracted Burgess’ worry, his attention finally brought to light on the folder.

“Adelmo’s finished video game. He wouldn’t let Bohr Technologies lay a hand on it, so he gave it to me for Burgess Incorporated to finish developing and for mass production. He said it was to apologize for what happened.” I held my tongue about his forced kisses, hoping that it was just a secret I would hold forever. I didn’t want Adelmo to be on Burgess’ hit list, not after giving away his one masterpiece.

“How do you know it’s not part of Bohr’s plan?” Burgess wouldn’t even take it, as though fearing it was laced in poison.

“Adelmo had me play the game with him, and he’s not like his brother.”

“And you’re just going to assume it wasn’t all an act?” Burgess scoffed and shook his head with a frown. “Don't be so naïve.”

“Can’t we just go through his documents at least? Give it a chance, because if Bohr produces our game before we produce Adelmo’s he may hurt your company. And all that time we've put into this project will be lost.”

Burgess’s jaw muscles twitched as he gnashed his teeth but he closed his eyes and nodded in surrender. “All right, I’ll look it through when we get back.” He opened his eyes and looked at me. “Did anything bad happen to you? Did they… touch you?”

My face turned red at remembering Adelmo’s kisses. I turned away.

Burgess looked petrified as he looked at me. I couldn’t tell what his face meant, but I assumed he thought I was dirty. Disgusting.

But he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. As he spoke, I felt gooseflesh form all over my body and I could hear his voice echoing in my ears like a mantra. “No matter what happens, I’m going to be here for you. I’m never going to leave you. I’m never going to let you be hurt ever again. I promise you, I’ll love you forever."

My face paled out of surprise when I realized what he had just confessed to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update 4/21/10