What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Opposites Repel

“Vern? Are you okay?” Lucy was pushing Vern playfully as we ventured through the beautiful landscape of Colorado. We stopped at a small motel, exhausted from the many hours of being confined in the van but not tired enough to pass out. We were wired and needed to burn off the excess energy that was stored in our previously motionless bodies.

“Yeah—I’m just trying to find a good vantage point. It’s… wonderful here.” Vern was wide eyed as he stared at the scenery.

We were in the small town of Foxfield, Colorado. The sun was still high in the sky, so we quickly checked into two rooms. Vern and Lucy wanted to have a room all to themselves, and I was a cheapskate. So Walker and I were going to be stuck together for a night.

“Vern, stop!” Lucy was beginning to be annoyed, her eyes narrowed as she tried to push the camera out of her face. Vern was trying to capture a shot of Lucy, but his constant need to photograph everything was beginning to get on everyone’s nerves… especially Lucy’s.

“You’re in a perfect angle,” Vern whined, trying again to zoom the camera lens. “The shadows just bring out the light in your eyes.”

“I said stop,” Lucy grabbed the camera, jumping out of the van and sprinting across the parking lot while her boyfriend quickly followed. She and he were almost equal in height, though Vern was a good two inches taller than her. She tried to hold the camera out of his reach, but he managed to swipe it back.

“Be careful with that!” Vern cried out as he gingerly pulled himself away from the seething woman.

“Three…” Walker began to quietly count down as he pulled out a suitcase from the trunk. I looked from his calm face to the scene of the bickering couple. “Two…” Lucy grabbed Vern by the collar, pulling him toward her with her face twisted in rage. She was yelling at him, and amazingly he was retaliating with an unpleasant and loud vocabulary. “One.”

“You can go fuck yourself for all I care,” Lucy snapped as she pushed him from her. “Go suck a cock.”

Vern blinked in surprise, fumbling with his camera like a fool and his pixie nose was reddening from the humiliation. “Lucy…”

“No, I don’t want to hear it.” Lucy threw her hand up to block the sound waves of his voice. “Walker,” she turned to her friend. “Can I take your roommate for the night?”

Walker blinked, but nodded without hesitation. He handed me a key and walked off. “Sure. I’ll go and help Vern unpack…” Walker’s tone showed he wasn’t pleased with the idea, but he knew better than to resist. And I was wary as well, knowing I’d have to be careful not to get myself involved in the fight.

“Can you believe him?” Lucy cracked as she lugged up both mine and her suitcases toward our room’s door. “He’s been annoying me since he brought that stupid camera along.”

“It’ll be okay,” I quietly murmured as I put my belongings onto the bed. It was a queen size, affordable but awkward.

“And he’s been a prude. Kept asking me if I should do what I do. ‘I’m not sure it’ll be good for you. You could hurt yourself.’ The asshole.” Lucy was fuming, her hands shaking from the stress and rage. “And he has the nerve to just keep taking my pictures. He’s just being outright creepy.”

A sudden chill crossed my spine as my thoughts had wandered to the photo scandal. But I quickly brushed it aside and put my attention back on Lucy’s angry rant. Vern wasn’t stealthy, messed up, or evil enough to have been the photographer.

“And it’s not like I didn’t tell him nicely to knock it off, too!” Lucy angrily snapped as she changed.

My stomach acid was gnawing on the inside lining of my belly, my need for dinner beginning to make me light headed. “Why don’t we go out to dinner?” I hoped that Lucy would change her mood with some food in her stomach and a more relaxed environment…

But it didn’t work out. We all went to the nearest Denny’s. But it just resulted in more yelling and insults. We were kicked out before we even could get a good bite out of anything.

Walker and I were trying hard to console our partners: Walker with Vern and me with Lucy. But the angry couple didn’t want peace. It was as though they were setting themselves to break apart from each other.

So we all went to bed, and I was silently begging the world to make a good night’s sleep help the two calm down and stop their bickering.

Sleeping next to a person who is fuming about their boyfriend is one of the most unpleasant experiences you could ever have. Lucy was silent during the night and at first I had a hard time falling asleep. It was as though I could feel her body heat radiating hatred and rage, keeping my emotions tense as well. I half expected her to leap up and begin a bloody massacre. But as exhaustion forced me to fall unconscious, I slept soundly. I was grateful for her not keeping me awake.

The next day, though, was something my subconscious wasn’t looking forward to. I felt refreshed, and when I went out of bed to shower and get changed I noticed that Lucy was still in the same position on her side of the bed from when she threw herself on the bed the night before.

Being a devout sleep-ologist, I know that most people tend to move around or change their position when they’re sleeping. Lucy hadn’t slept at all that night.

“Lucy?” I softly murmured as I carefully approached her, like a curious child approaching a possum lying on the side of the road. I had no idea what would happen, and I was nervous as I gingerly touched her shoulder.

“I’m still mad.” She quietly declared, and suddenly sat up. “But screw him. He’s not going to ruin this trip.”

I bit my lip and gave her a supportive nod. “Come on, there’s free breakfast in the lobby.”

There’s nothing I love more than a motel that gives away cold cereal, bagels, and all of your needs of breaking your nightly fasts. When we ladies entered the lobby, there was Walker and Vern in the corner of the lobby by a small table. Two vacant chairs were our prize and Walker jumped up to wave at us.

There was a small television in the corner, where a typical morning news channel was blaring on. It was Fox News, an anchorwoman describing the week’s forecast. Sunny. High temperatures. Low winds.

As I helped myself to some breakfast, Walker quickly went up and whispered in my ear, “You’ve got to help me get those two back to sucking face. If I have to deal with another all nighter of Vern crying on my shoulder, I think I’ll have to split.”

I nodded. “What do you think?”

“Vern wants to go for a hike. I think it’s a brilliant idea.”

“Okay,” I quickly agreed, also thinking that it’d be a clever way of getting those two to change their attitudes. And personally, I wanted to stretch my legs and go somewhere. I grabbed the nearest fruit I could find and a tall glass of cold milk. My morning was made.

When I turned, my eye landed on the television again. But my heart sunk at recognizing the man in the photograph.

I slowly walked to the screen and turned the volume up, straining my ears to hear what was being said. There was a debate going on between two anchors, both of them getting in the heat of the argument—their passion could rival Lucy’s and Vern’s.

“What’s the purpose of it all?” The anchorman was angry, moving his hands to make a point as he lost himself in the heat of the battle. “Benjamin Burgess has become tyrannical lately and he’s destroying all of his competition. He’s completely taken over Slater Enterprise, Ayton Corporation, Bae Systems, and Newton Graphics. Burgess Incorporated is close to becoming a monopoly—the only company that is keeping itself out of his greedy hands is Bohr Technologies.”

“This is the whole purpose of capitalism—to overcome and conquer. To be the best,” the anchorwoman was quick to respond, her voice rapid and full of pride. She was an obvious Burgess supporter. “The young man’s maturing and realizing that he needs to make his company as strong as possible.”

“You understand that he could possibly take over Microsoft?” The man snapped and the camera zoomed in on his skeptical face. “And the purpose of capitalism is for competition. Burgess Incorporated is running low on that. I’m worried that this young man is going to get too rich too quickly. It’s greed, and greed is something that isn’t good for anything. A company can only succeed so well—you notice that the value in Burgess Incorporated stock has increased by forty percent this morning?”

The news switched over to a few video clips of the young CEO, and my face paled when I recognized my own figure following him loyally. There was a clip from when he was released from the hospital after his father’s break down, his jacket covering his shirtless chest. He was leaning against me, my body barely supporting his weakened frame.

“Hey, it’s okay…” Walker put his hand on my shoulder as he leaned over to change the channel. “Come on, eat your breakfast. You’ll need it for today.”

“Right,” I shook my head and sat down. But my eyes couldn’t help but wander back to the TV screen, where the recent video of Burgess showed that Adelmo Bohr had taken my place. Walker looked defeated as he looked at me who was depressed at being reminded of my heartbreak; of Lucy who was also depressed but at the same time stabbing at her cereal with anger; and Vern who was trembling and with bags under his eyes, sulking in his misery.

Brushing my hair out of my face, I quickly stood up. I sure as hell wasn’t going to be the party pooper. “So who’s ready for that hike?”

Vern and Walker looked up hopefully, but Lucy looked as though the idea was the last thing she’d ever want. But she quickly stood up. “Sure, I’m game. Come on, Mary.” She quickly took my shoulders and pushed me away from the boys. “Let’s head out. We don’t want any dead weight to slow us down.”

Vern’s face turned red but his expression remained glum.

“But—” I was greeted by the cool morning air and we set off to pack our belongings and drive to a nearby park. There was a small gravel trail, where the occasional bicyclist, jogger, and dog walker frequented the area.

“So are you going back to school anytime soon?” Lucy had her arm slinked to mine, having me cling to her closely. I was abashed by her suddenly playful personality, not expecting the sudden mood swing.

“Yeah—I’m planning to go to go to the San Diego Community College District full time. But first I need to find another job.”

“Ask Walker sometime. I’m sure he could hook you up at the Club. They’re always looking for waitresses. And it’s not like Walker would turn you down.” There was a coy smile on her lips and she added, “You know, don’t you?”

I was quick to change the subject, and I put my focus on her. “What about you? You’re not really mad at Vern, are you?”

The smile on her face went to a frown, and she quickened her pace, pulling me along. “Not… really. But I don’t want to just let it go. It’ll make me feel like I got angry over nothing.”

“You did,” I bluntly explained. “Everyone’s annoying at some time. We just have to accept it or not accept the person at all.”

Lucy quickly turned around to look over her shoulder, seeing that Vern and Walker were far behind. We were walking up a steep hill, my calves screaming but my lungs filled with jubilation at the exercise. I felt alive.

After a long and vigorous climb, we eventually came across many rocks the size of trailers and houses. Lucy was already being the daredevil, climbing up the walls of stone without any effort on her part. She was a natural monkey, her movements fluid and strong.

I’m not terrified of heights, but I’m uncomfortable enough to stay on the ground. “Lucy, be careful! Come back,” I called up to her, hopping from one foot to the other. I was worried for her, and she ignored my pleas for her to answer.

She was as high as the sky, her climbing carrying her away to the heavens. We were at a tall part of the trail, in the higher parts of the valleys. In fact, we were more in the mountain range, the cool air cutting through us swiftly like knives.

And Lucy was so high up, I thought that she would fall any second.

“Lucy!” I cried out and turned to see if Walker or Vern was coming. From a distance, I saw the two boys running toward us and finally they arrived.

“Sorry,” Vern answered as I noticed he was holding Walker up carefully by the arm. “He’s having an attack.”

“It’s fine—I’ve taken a few shots of my inhaler. I’ll be fine. I just need a moment to breathe.” Walker closed his eyes and inhaled the fresh and crisp air, his pale complexion already peaching with a healthier tone.

“Lucy,” I called out again, this time Walker and Vern both joining in on the pleads. “Come down!”

“Not yet!” She yelled back, her body shrinking in front of my eyes as she disappeared from view when she finally reached a ledge. Only her worn down combat boots were visible, showing that she was sitting down with her legs stretched toward the cliff.

“Lucy!” Walker’s voice was numb and drained, his skin pale as he struggled to both call out to his friend and catch his breath. He was wheezing heavily, his lungs probably screaming in agony. He quickly took out of his pocket an inhaler, which he hungrily took.

“Sit down, Walker,” I commanded as I gently pushed him down to lean against the rocky wall below Lucy. “Relax, Lucy will come back.” I looked upwards, this time a hint of annoyance and frustration echoing off of my tongue. “Lucy, you’re being really freaky! Come on, what do you want? Attention?”

“Sure, that’d be great. But I’m more of just wanting the view.” Lucy was unphased by my sudden blunt questions, but she was the epitome of stubbornness.

“Please, we’re worried!” Vern protested again, this time he handed me his camera and his small bag of supplies—and I blinked in astonishment as he began to hug the large stones and begin to climb.

“Vern, not you too—” I began to protest but Walker’s sudden coughs pulled me back down. “Take it easy, Walker.” I was gingerly rubbing his back, unsure if anything I did would help him.

I watched in fear as Vern struggled to ascend the large pillar. He was trembling like a wet cat, his skin clammy and I could tell he was sweating profusely. But despite me assuming him to not be nearly as bold or psychotic as Lucy, he was progressing up the cliff with almost as much ease as his girlfriend. When he was almost there to be with Lucy, he suddenly slipped on a loose stone. A spray of dirt and gravel fell on top of Walker and I, but nothing harmful struck us. I quickly pulled Walker from any more line of fire.

When Vern looked as though he was going to struggle, I took out my cell phone to call a rescue squad. I didn’t notice that Walker was no longer choking on his knees, and in fact he looked as though he hadn’t an attack at all. He slowly got up to his feet and took the phone from me gingerly.

“Now that they’re alone they can sort things out now.” His eyes twinkled slightly and there was no longer a ray of fear glowing in them. They were full of mischief and suddenly it dawned to me that he was completely recovered.

“You just faked an attack…” I was Captain Obvious, my mind running amuck at how naïve I had been.

“Hey, I needed to keep you busy. Lucy pulls a stunt like this all the time, you shouldn’t be surprised.” Walker stretched and took a step back as he looked up to the large rocks that were like a monument. “I told Vern he might as well show Lucy he’d climb fifty feet up in the air for her. You know, something to make her realize he does care for her. Sorry,” he threw me an apologetic smile, “We didn’t have time to tell you. It was the spur of the moment brainstorm. They’ll be fine, Lucy’s too proud to fall to her death and Vern is actually pretty decent in mountaineering. He was telling me about how he visited places like this with his family when he was younger.”

I shook my head, still displeased at being so easily fooled. “You knew Lucy would just start climbing a mountain?”

“I’m not surprised. I was half expecting her to jump off a mountain, but I prefer this. She’ll be fine.” Walker patted the back of my head, his face blushing under the colorful sky. The early morning air was like a pure bath, the sun’s early light causing the world to glow in oranges, pinks, and purples.

“I thought you were over protective of her,” I prodded, my own compassionate instinct causing me to throw fleeting glances upwards. I couldn’t see them, and instantly my imagination began to play cruel tricks on me. I thought something horrible would happen to them.

“I still am, but I’m not the one she wants to go rescue her. At least not anymore,” Walker grinned playfully, though a weary smile full of sadness and nostalgia was more fitting than the faux humor he tried to pull off. I could tell when he was hurting, and my empathy was kicking in.

“Hey, you’re still one of her closest friends.” Trying to find a way to soothe his hurting soul, I put an arm around him and squeezed. “And if I ever need a rescue, you’ll be the first I’d call.”

Walker smiled and laughed softly, his body light and warm. “Yeah, and if you go off and pull a stunt like her and manage to survive, I’d kill you.”

I took a step back and stuck my tongue out. “Oh yeah? You wouldn’t be able to catch me.”

Walker suddenly leaped off after me, and I sprinted away like a jack rabbit. We stayed in the surrounding perimeter though, as we couldn’t just simply abandon Vern and Lucy.

Being with Walker was like erasing all the troubles that the world could throw at me. I was really carefree, and it was a feeling I wanted to hold onto forever. And as long as Walker was around, that feeling never died. At least, not entirely.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update 6/29/10 - The editors still haven't completed reviewing the corrections. But I feel bad for halting the updates. You all deserve better :( Besides, even if my story gets banned, I've got it backed up. So scheduled updates will return.