What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Pit Stop

I awoke with another hangover, this one worse than the other. I was in the bed, neck down under the covers. As my vision cleared I was greeted by Walker’s sleeping face… and I quickly leaped out of the bed in surprise. I quickly checked my body and breathed out a sigh of relief at finding I still had my clothes on. Just to add comfort, I checked my friend. He was wearing pajamas.

I couldn’t remember what happened the rest of the night, but I’m guessing we both passed out soon afterwards. And guilt was the worst part of that hangover.

“Hey,” Walker had awoken by my movements, he also winced as he cradled his temples. “How you feeling?”

“I’m never drinking again,” I swore, half sobbing as I felt like my whole world was falling apart. How could I have done this? How could my mother have done this? I didn’t feel so good anymore—I just felt like a slug being buried alive in salt.

“That’s good to know.” Walker lightly caressed the crown of my head, just barely touching it so that it eased the throbbing drums playing in my skull. “You were really tipsy last night.”

“I didn’t think so,” I blinked and slowly went to my feet. It was a pain just to feel the carpet on the bottom of my heels.

Walker shook his head, a gentle smile on his lips. “You were so drunk you probably didn’t realize it. That takes skill.”

“That’s not a talent I want,” I muttered.

>

We were driving through a thicket of heavily densed forest. The two lane highway we were on rolled along endlessly, and I was dozing off until I heard a sudden ‘pop’ and the car began to skid.

“Flat tire,” Walker announced as he calmly pulled us over to the side, in the gravel and grass. “Don’t worry, I’ve got a spare in the trunk.”

It had been a long trip with no exits or rest stops to ease the growing pain in my lower tummy. I felt like I was about to burst. “I have to go to the bathroom.” I was shy as I quietly announced this, opening the car door and exiting it. “I’ll just be over by the trees.”

Walker’s face turned red, but he was snickering. “Sure, go ahead.” He turned to Lucy, his lower lip stuck out. “Lu, will you do me a solid and take care of this? I’m not good with cars.”

“Sure thing,” Lucy was eager to flaunt her mechanical skills as she rolled the spare tire out of the car.

I ventured through the trees, careful not to be anywhere near evil plants like poison ivy or briar bushes. When I was in a private spot, I did my business, then was about to head back to the van.

But a noise from nearby caused me to turn cold and freeze all over. It was the distinct sound of twigs being snapped, and someone or something was approaching.

“Hello?” A rustle of decaying leaves caused me to snap from my paralysis and spin to face my approacher. “Who’s there?” I wondered how my heart could possibly handle the stress it had been suffering at that time. I felt like I was about to explode from fear.

The noise grew louder, and I quickly flinched and jumped back as a flashing white figure leaped from the shadows toward me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update 7/4/10 - Happy Fourth of July! I'm going to try to post two more chapters tomorrow, but updates will cease for about five days, as I will be out of state.