What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Michigan? Ball?

“Shit!” I was passing by the mailroom on my way to my first day as a waitress. The voice was familiar to me, so I quickly peered in to see who it was.

Walker was going through his small mailbox, staring frustrated at an open letter. He had dropped the envelope on the ground, and I noticed that it was embroidered and resembled the classy invitations I would always RSVP for Burgess.

“Hey there, Walker,” I announced myself as I came in with my hands in my pockets. “Junk Mail?”

“You have no idea,” Walker sighed and turned to me. “I’d rather it be a letter from the IRS.”

“Is it too personal to ask what it is?” I cocked my head to the side and I took a hesitant step towards him. His body movements were tense, and I noticed he looked paler than usual. His cold was getting worse.

“No, not really.” Walker turned to me, with a glum expression. “It’s just that I’ve got this party I’ve got to attend.” He handed it to me, a serious stare my reward.

I took it and read it.

Charles Michigan Walker is cordially invited to the Annual Walker Incorporated Ball.

I didn’t read the rest, but instead I just looked up at him. “I’ve got two questions. First, your middle name’s really Michigan?”

Walker provided me with a face palm, slamming his hand against his forehead. “Never mind that,” he shook his head, impatience dripping from his tone.

“And I thought your family…” I trailed off as I couldn’t think of the rights words to say. “Walker Incorporated?”

“Yeah—it’s my uncle’s company. Walker Corporation and Walker Incorporated were partners until my parents’ company went under—anyways,” Walker was babbling, and it was clear he was frustrated with how I was getting him off topic. “I have to go.”

“Why?” I handed the letter back to him, not sure why he had to. I understood that he hated being involved in his past and with the social elites, but he was beginning to make a great deal out of it.

“It’s my uncle. My family. On condition that he’ll keep me out of any of his business affairs I have to keep in contact with him… and attend these parties.” Walker fluffed his wild curls and bit his lower lip. “Sorry, I’ve just been PMSing all week.” His hand subconsciously fell to his chest as he cleared his throat, and I noticed that he winced as though he was in pain. When he caught me staring he quickly lowered his hand. “Anyways, the ball’s in a few weeks.”

I nodded, giving him a reassuring smile. “I’m sure you’re uncle has only the best intentions when he invites you.”

Walker snorted but smiled back. “Yeah, you’re right. It’s just that it’ll be lonely there. Unless…”

“What?” I leaned forward and my curiosity was peaked. The way Walker closed his eyes and trailed his words was like a fishing hook and line. And I was the poor little fish. At least Burgess wouldn't be the one hitting me over the head with a hammer.

“I have someone come with me. A close friend of mine. Only I don’t want to go there with just any friend.” Walker was imploring and his tone teasing. “I want a close friend to accompany me, who I don’t want to be just a close friend with.”

I smiled back and joined in the banter. “Funny, I had a similar thought in mind. Only, it wasn’t just any close friend but a neighbor of mine. He is a very strange fellow, I must admit.”

“Is he, now?” Walker raised his eyebrow and turned his head. “How so?”

“When I first met him, I thought he was a meth head who was going to rape me. He came out of nowhere and invited me to live at his friend’s apartment. He’s good with people, but he can also be a bigot at times. He’s good at manipulating others and usually gets what he wants. Maybe you know of him?”

Walker clutched his hand over his heart and winced dramatically, providing the image that he was stabbed in that region. “Again with the rapist jokes. Thou art the loveliest rose in all the land; your nectar is the fountain of youth. Your heart is so delicate; yet you are surrounded by poisonous thorns!”

“And you’re a bee,” I used my fingers to give myself antennae. “Annoying and always causing everyone around it to flee.”

“Stop! My heart is breaking!” Walker feigned agony and fell against the wall. I was over him, holding myself up by my hands. He was only a few inches away and as we were out of breath with our idiocy, we almost exchanged in a soft kiss.

The distinct sound of someone awkwardly clearing their throat caused us to snap out of our enjoyment. We turned to see an old man, who was in the doorway and watching the whole scene.

“Kids these days,” he muttered under his breath. His grumbles were full of senile sneers but his eyes twinkled. “Get a room you two. And some therapy.”

“Yes sir, Dr. Hawkins,” Walker acknowledge the senior. “How is your knee today?”

“Much better, Walker, thank you. And this is…?”

“Mary Hall,” I introduced and held out my hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“Like wise,” He took my hand and smiled. “I haven’t met a friend of Walker’s that was so polite before. It’s rather refreshing.” He turned to Walker and asked, “Your other friend… the ruffian, how is she?”

“Lucy’s doing well. She says ‘hi’. Oh, we haven’t seen you at the Club lately. We miss you.”

“I would come by, but my doctor’s advised me to refrain from raw foods. The nerve.” The man shook his head sadly. “Damn Medicare, I can’t even have over easy eggs now or they’ll cut my insurance.”

“Those bastards,” Walker shook his head. “Sorry, sir, but we’ll have to go to work now.”

“All right, you two take care. It’s glad to see kids so carefree,” he quietly muttered while waving at us. “It does my heart good seeing you so happy, Walker.”

“Thanks, Dr. Hawkins,” Walker quickly retreated.

As we walked toward work, I looked at him strangely. “You get along with everybody, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” Walker looked nostalgic almost. There was a radiance that resembled sadness but beautiful serenity at the same time. “I’m just lucky to know a lot of decent people.”

“I’m sure they feel lucky to know you.” I took his hand and pulled at it playfully.

“Nah, I’m not so decent.”

“No, you’re not decent—you’re exceptional.” I kissed him on the cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update 7/5/10