What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Romantic Talk

“Ah, Charles!” A slightly overweight and balding man quickly strode over to us as he put one large hand on Walker’s shoulder, smacking is with a healthy fortitude. “I’m glad to see you made it. I had a feeling you’d back out this year.”

“No, of course not, Uncle Matthew.” Walker winced at his relative’s strong touch, and I began to wonder about what other relatives Walker had. It was sad and frustrating that he always hid personal facts about his life. It was then I knew I hardly knew much about him. “Thank you for inviting me. This is my girlfriend, Mary.”

I was surprised at how he easily called me that. No guy had ever been so laid back and proud of calling me a girlfriend before. But I smiled and shook the man’s hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“Charmed,” the man looked me over and it seemed that he was disinterested in me. At first I was hurt, but when he quickly turned to Walker and started barbequing him with questions I wasn’t as offended. I believe Matthew Walker was more preoccupied with trying to catch up with his nephew. “So, Charles, have you reconsidered my offer?”

Walker’s eyes grew cold and he shook his head slowly. There was a sudden shrew air that surrounded him as he said, “I keep my word, Uncle. Respect my decision.”

“Right,” the man took a step back and bowed his head. “Well, I’d like to add that you have a sharp mind. All that education is going to waste… and you know I’d cover all your medical expenses—”

“Excuse me, Uncle.” Walker took my elbow and gently steered me away. “Mary, I’m in the mood for some dancing. What do you think?”

“Uh…” I looked back as Matthew Walker watched us leave to the ballroom.

The entire place was like a palace, with marble stairs and an actual symphonic orchestra performing upon a stage. Candles and the scent of roses brought the romantic out of me, and Walker took me to a quiet corner in the room where the many curtains, shadows, and refreshment tables hid us from public view. Even though we just stood there in an almost non-existent slow dance, I rested my head against his chest as we swayed to the gentle melody of the string instruments.

“Champagne?” A server interrupted the peace as he held out a tray of eloquent flutes, filled with a bubbling gold liquid.

“No thank you,” I shook my head, disappointed at the halted moment. Walker was clearly displeased by the interruption as well, for he grabbed the young man’s arm.

“My good sir, may I speak to you for a moment.” His tone was threatening but he winked at me with a smile of jest. He pulled the man away and began whispering a few words in the waiter’s ear. After a few sentences the man apologized and retreated. Walker came back, announcing, “Don’t worry, we won’t have anyone dropping by.”

I nodded my thanks. “What did you say?”

“Oh, you know. The typical bullshit about how I’m Charles Walker and if he doesn’t want to end up serving cheap wine in a seedy pub he’ll make sure we’re undisturbed for the rest of the night.

For a second there, I almost thought it was Burgess who was speaking to me. But I shook my head away. “Well, I’m impressed Charles Michigan Walker.”

Walker’s face blushed and he lowered his lips to my ear. “Please, cut it out. I really hate it.”

“Why?” My curiosity was getting the better of me. At first I bit back my words but then I continued. “I know it’s your own business but I want to know. I want to really know you—from your childhood to now.”

Walker shook his head, an apathetic smile on his face. “It isn’t that interesting…” But when he eyed my saddened glower at him he melted and let out a sigh. “…But if you want to know I guess it’s fair you know. Name the first skeleton in my closet.”

“Charles is a nice name,” I murmured. “What do you have against it?”

“It was just what everyone called me before my parents died.” There were recliners and chairs pressed against the walls of the ballroom, and in our corner there was a small couch where we sat on. Walker continued, “And when I decided I was done with all that social status bullshit I didn’t want to be tied by what everyone knew me by—my name. Of course it was too much of a hassle to just change my name, and I still like it enough. Hell, my own parents named me and I wanted to respect that. So I decided to just stay true to Walker. Charlie sounded stupid, but Walker was like a little badge in honor of my parents. They did a lot for me.” Walker’s tone had gone quiet as he breathed in slowly.

I took his hands, feeling how cold they were. “I’m sure they did. You must really love them.”

“Yeah,” Walker stretched and leaned back in his chair, staring at the many throngs of people. “Kind of stupid though. My relatives just thought it’d be a good opportunity to revive the family honor if I could redeem my parents’ company. Their suicide was a big blow to their precious pride.”

“That was what your Uncle was talking about?” I noticed his hand tightened on mine, and all the heat escaped my skin.

“Pretty much. He just wants an heir apparent with the Walker bloodline. He doesn’t really care about me. It’s all just a giant social ladder for him. Imagine all the publicity he’d get if he managed to ‘save’ the unfortunate fallen prince of Walker Corporation and generously give him a share of Walker Incorporated. And with my… condition… I could die at any time. Then he’d get all those sympathy statements, insurance claims, et cetera. After all, I’m just a disappointment in his eyes.”

My heart began to hammer in my ears. “You could die?!” I whispered in exclamation as I took his face and gently pulled him to face me.

Walker blinked, but then he ran his hands through his hair. His ponytail was coming undone. “Damn, I said too much.”

“No, you’re saying too little. What do you mean?”

Walker looked at me and shook his head with a saddened smile. “You know I’m not the healthiest guy on the planet.”

“Walker, this is serious. You’re working all the time—is it because medical bills are too expensive? Do you need any help?”

“No, I don’t need any money. I’ve been trying to prove that for a long time.” Walker was scoffing, but then he grew gentle with me. “It’s hard to show the world that there are some more important things than money.”

“You’re more important than showing the world anything. Listen to yourself, Walker.” My eyes were starting to burn at the tears but I shook my head. “You can’t die.”

“We all die,” Walker cynically detested. When he looked over at me though he collapsed and he took his arms around me and hugged me. “But I’m not dying tonight. I’m not dying tomorrow. Not when you’re so sad.”

“What does me being sad have to do with anything?” I was wiping at my eyes so I wouldn’t smear any eyeliner. But the night felt like a funeral.

“It means everything to me. Because if I died and left you in tears, that would be my hell. So don’t feel sad for me. I want you to be happy.” Walker kissed my hand, smiling up at me. “Now you know why I don’t like to talk about this. It’s not exactly romantic candlelight dinner conversation.”

I chuckled despite myself. Walker was an amazing man, shrugging off death and his nobility was something that touched me.

“Well now, isn’t this a nice little sight?”

Walker and I turned to face our intruder, but when I saw a tall and handsome man look down at me hatefully with those electric icy blues, I swallowed and became paralyzed where I sat.

Ben Burgess stood only a few feet from us, dressed smartly in formal attire. He looked as though he had improved in his physique, for he was no longer as gaunt as the last time we met in Florida. He had a wine glass in hand, which he held gracefully.

Despite his smooth entrance, his expression was rough and sharp edged. If looks could kill, he would have committed global genocide.
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'm back" Update - 7/10/10