What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Jonathan Bohr

“Mary, what did you do?” Walker was in a hospital bed now, his thin body in the paper hospital gown. Within minutes of forcing him to the hospital and turning in that check, the nurses and doctors worked fast to prepare him for the surgery. Burgess was right. It would take longer than twenty four hours until I’d see him again. I also noticed how especially fast and helpful the staff were treating Walker, which I cynically thought it was merely the money that fueled their sudden expansion in care for him. Money bought everything.

I’d rather of watched the surgery proceed, but I knew it would have been fruitless to do so. The doctors would refuse as I wasn't immediate family, and I had no right to back down from this deal with Burgess. Despite surrendering my pride, I still would cling to the remnants of self respect I had left. And that was to keep my promise.

“Don’t worry about it,” I smiled at Walker—though relieved and happy it was also time for mourning. Because though there was that chance Walker would be make it—I was sure he would—That night was going to be the night I’d lose the last bit of self respect I had.

“No, I—I need to know. Who gave you the money?” He was always a smart guy, and he must have suspected something. A flicker of concern and skepticism flung in my direction as he raised an eyebrow, trying hard to sit up and interrogate me. But he was already too weak to say anything, and too tired to really press the matter. If anything, he too, was relieved about going through the surgery. Ignorance was bliss.

We both had hope, which was enough.

“Excuse me,” A nurse came in, prepared to provide the anesthesia. “I’m sorry, but it’s time that he needs to rest.” She had a needle prepared to inject sweet sleep into his veins, the liquid clear like air.

“Walker, soon it’ll be over.” I leaned over to kiss his mouth, a wave of shame rushing through me. Despite everything, I felt as though I was betraying him in order to save him. I wondered if it was the right thing to do. Secretly I feared this was more out of selfishness than anything else.

“I know. And…” Walker looked at me, and I knew that he’d figured out what I had done. “Please, know that I love you. I don’t want you to do anything that you’ll regret… if this money—”

“Sh,” I silenced him and caressed his cheek. “I’ll see you soon.” As cruel as it was to silence him, I wouldn’t hear him be the selfless one. I couldn't bare gazing upon a saint at that moment. I waited until the nurse administered his drug, and his eyes slowly closed. Once he was comatose, it was time for me to go.

>

Already, my mind was foggy and I felt too dazed to see that there was someone waiting for me near the front doors or the hospital. My spine had the coldest sensation shooting up my vertebrae, and I bit my lip as I told my heart to calm down. He looked dressed for a funeral, and he had his mercenary body guard at his side. I was almost about to turn to exit the hospital, for a lapse in my memory left me confused as to why I feared this man.

But when I recognized him, I froze like a deer in the headlights. “Bohr.”

“Mary Hall.” He approached me, though he kept a civil tone. There was something wrong, I could tell by the gleam of desperation in his eye. “You seem to be in a hurry.”

“Leave me alone. And Walker alone, too.” I should have known he wasn't finished with me.

“Trust me,” Bohr was close enough that I could feel his breath on my cheek. He whispered in my ear, “I have no care for your friend.”

“Then why are you here?” I wanted to scream out as his closeness was draining all the strength out of me. It was his way of intimidation, and despite the concern in his eyes and the serious tone in his voice, he still held that arrogance that demanded those around to cower and fear him.

Bohr sighed, taking a step back. “Actually, I’m here on personal business. Terra is currently in intensive care.”

I blinked. “What did you do to her?”

“I assure you, nothing.” Bohr’s eyes went cold, insulted by my accusation. “Despite what I’ve done, I have no wish for any harm on Terra. She tried to take her own life tonight.”

I put my arms around myself, shaking my head. “Then why isn’t Madame Slater here?”

“She is on her way.”

“And why did she do it?” I tried to sound like I didn’t care, but I knew that I did.

Bohr brushed some hair from his face and frowned. “Burgess had bought Bohr Technologies a few hours ago.”

My eyes widened slightly, and he seemed curious of my surprise.

“Don’t look surprised. If anything, I’ve finally conceded. He is the better businessman.” An unnatural smile flickered at the corner of his mouth, something that looked more awkward than defeated.

“So you’re… ruined?”

“Oh God, no.” Bohr let out a small chuckle, amused by my naïveté. “Not at all. I still have billions. It will take me time to start from scratch, but I’ve the resources to create a new corporation. I am disappointed, but then again, perhaps I deserved it.” Bohr looked afar, out the nearest window. “At first, I was in denial. I’m Jonathan Bohr, for Christ’s sake. And I planned to take out my anger with revenge. But then Terra broke down, when she found out that I lost.” He smiled a little, looking at me. “She’s rather childish, now that I think about it.”

“Why do you… like her then?”

Bohr looked at me strangely. “I’d figure you of all people would understand that. I care for her. Just as you care for Walker and Burgess.”

“I don’t—”

“Spare me, I could care less if you think differently.” Bohr shrugged it off, but then he quickly reproached himself. “Excuse me, I’m getting sidetracked. You see, I came here to shake your hand.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

“I destroyed your relationship with Ben because I expected Burgess Incorporated to then fail. But instead, my plan backfired. Horribly. Wouldn’t you agree?” He held out a hand for me to take. “So bravo. I am impressed. I despise you even more, but at the same time, I feel it’s time for me to simply submit. Take my hand, and then we will depart. If anything, your being with Burgess had weakened his motives to progress business-wise. And I feel that it is better to consolidate for the hardship I've put you through.”

“You’re strange, you know that?” I saw no harm in that simple handshake, so I took it. His grip was strong, but this time I hinted that he was no longer so domineering. He seemed worn—tired, even. I noticed that he had darker shadows around his eyes, his skin placid.

“I’m sure you’ve found that there isn’t a single person who isn’t.” Bohr quietly replied as he released my hand. “But I assure you, I’ll not interfere with your life any longer.”

I understood this was Bohr’s way of apologizing. Why he chose to, I could only figure as it was his way of accepting the loss of his company, the one thing he seemed to truly love. Or maybe it was that Terra was in intensive care. I couldn’t understand, not fully.

But it was little gestures like what Bohr did, that reminded me on how human he really was. So what else could I do but forgive him? Call me a pushover. But I was tired of all the fighting and drama as well. “I’ll keep Terra in my prayers,” I said my farewell as I exited the hospital.

On the way to Burgess' home, I closed my eyes, leaning over. As I've said before, I never was religious, but I felt as though I had to do something. I bit my lip, asking for anyone out there who would listen to make everything better. To make everything right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise Update 8/4/10 - Enjoy.