What Can You Not Buy With Money?

Chess-Pagne

“You have a beautiful home,” I quietly complimented as I tried to escape the horrors of Walker’s past. He didn’t want anyone to know for a reason. Now that I knew, it was a bittersour escapade when I dug into Walker’s mystery. I promised myself and to him at that moment that I would act as though I didn’t know. He clearly wanted to keep this secret to himself, so I wouldn’t betray him any further. It was more of a selfish decision to keep it mum, as I was terrified that he would hate me for not minding my own business.

“Thank you, mon cherie.” Slater took off her evening coat and her butler humbly accepted it along with the others. After the dinner, Slater had paid for the bill—a number so high I was too afraid to gaze upon the receipt. She took us to her home, perched upon acres of rolling hills and a surrounding forest.

Pierre had joined us, something I found a little suspicious. He had been silent throughout the rest of the night, though I began to notice a few strange glances that he would throw at me that resembled a needy and unsure demand.

“My servants will lead you three to your rooms,” Slater pat her hand on Burgess’ tall shoulders and gestured for him to go one way. It seemed that she had sobered up. “Come, Ben, we’ll get this mess about the trust fund tonight. Let’s go to my study.”

I watched as the two CEOs exited the main hall. I felt Pierre’s shaky hand on my shoulder and he smiled at me calmly. “Do you like chess?”

“Sure,” I suddenly felt a little shy. My hormones were beginning to act up, and maybe it was due to Pierre’s intriguing smile or his strangely fascinated face. He was attractive, in a foreign and exotic way. But I remembered Walker and decided to control myself. I blamed the wine.

Pierre took me to a large living room that was perfectly decorated and not a speck of dust tarnished the room. Against the wall by a great window centered a glorious wooden chess table.

As the both of us sat across each other, there was a new aura of competition that surged through me and, I assumed, Pierre.

“I’ll be white.” Pierre began setting the table. “I hardly lose.”

“Fine,” I kept my look at him. Being a person who lacked an active social life in high school, I spent much of my time playing online chess at the San Diego Public Library in the Mira Mesa Branch. So I liked to pride myself that I was a decent enough player to make him sweat.

“Oh, but let’s add a little extra fun. Cristabel!” Pierre’s voice was taunting and light.

A maid came into the room with a bottle of champagne and two flûtes. She tilted her head as Pierre took the bottle to inspect and nodded his approval as he dismissed the girl. Her eyes fluttered to mine, and I saw a look of sympathy that made me uncertain and suspicious.

“Every time a player loses a piece, they must take a full drink poured by the other player,” Pierre placed the champagne upon the window sill and made his first move of moving a knight.

“Why don’t we skip the champagne and just play?” I moved a pawn as I started to feel uneasy. I was already warmed and feeling feathery from the copious amounts of rose wine.

“Then it won’t be fun,” Pierre licked his lips as he also moved a pawn in a reckless square, open to attack.

“Fine,” I grin as confidence surged through me. My knight took the place of the pawn and I took the bottle and poured Pierre a generous serving.

He raised it up as a quick and courteous toast and he slowly downed the light gold liquid. He let out an ‘Ah’ and he proceeded to take his turn.

I defeated him a few more turns, proceeding with Pierre drinking seven more servings of champaigne. He had to call Cristabel to bring in more. We had reached the third bottle with him finishing the two and I not having a single taste.

I was having a lighthearted adrenaline rush. Maybe it was because of the elegant surroundings or the strong alcohol fumes invading my senses. Or maybe it was because Pierre began to slur and his slightly disheveled appearance made him appear a bit more appealing than I expected.

“Best two out of three,” Pierre began setting the table again. “This time, I’m not going to lose.”

“Bring it on,” I jeered him playfully as he made his first move. Without even caring to study it, I made a move out of arrogance.

Pierre looked at the board then at me with a dark smile. “You’ve become careless,” and he proceeded to take a piece.

I waited as he poured the alcohol all the way to the brim of the glass as he waited for me to take my just desserts. It was surprisingly sweet and bubbly. I burped softly.

“Yummy,” Pierre winked at me as he waited for me to take my next (and more cautious) turn. After a few checks, he takes my bishop with his. “Drink up.”

“You’ve been duping me,” I shook my head in disbelief as I chugged another healthy dose of the spirits.

“Don’t take it personally. Madame Slater didn’t hire a fool. Sadly, my skills have become a tool for her amusement.”

“So you’re going to beat me because your boss told you to?” I gave him a small sigh. “I thought this was a friendly game.” I decided to quickly take my queen to defend her king, and I noticed that I was beginning to struggle to move the piece onto the square. My movements were becoming sluggish.

“It is,” Pierre protested as he took another piece and repeated the cycle of pouring me another serving. “But there are a few obligations I need to complete,” he paused to look at me and then placed the bottle back onto the sill. “I think you’ve had enough.”

“Thanks,” I sneezed suddenly and brushed my mouth, smearing some lipstick onto my hand.

“Here,” Pierre stood up from his seat and leaned close to help wipe the mess off of my chin with his thumb and forefinger.

Before I could realize that his body was pressed against my shoulder; before I could realize that his hand had lingered upon my face, I felt his warm lips over mine. Surprise, sweet and seductive sorrow.

After a few moments of awkwardly feeling his lips grind against my mouth, I felt a slight bite on my lower lip which caused me to jump back as every inch of me burned hot with steam.

“Relax,” Pierre murmured as pressed his nose against my neck and kissed the skin that covered my jugular.

“Why are you doing this?” I began to get my senses and tried to push him off. I felt disgusted with myself for secretly enjoying it. I didn’t want to like it. I began to feel dizzier and nauseous.

“Because—” A hand shot out in front of my face, grabbing Pierre by the collar. I turned to see the hand belong to Burgess. He pulled Pierre with such force that the chess table toppled over, spilling the remaining pieces across the floor in a violent clatter.

I leaned back against my chair as I stared at the frenzy. Burgess’ face was contorted by annoyance and a growing temper. His teeth were clenched but he didn’t lash out or do anything else but keep his grip on Pierre. It was as though he was contemplating his next action.

“My, my!” Slater clapped her hands and I was amazed to hear a sound of sheer satisfaction sigh from her lips. “Wonderful, Très Bien, Pierre,” she glided toward the scene and grinned widely at me. “You were such a drunk little girl, it was amusing!”

Pierre struggled to turn his head to face me and sheepishly shrugged. “Sorry.”

Disbelief was clouding the last shreds of soberness and I looked at Burgess as I waited for him to carry out the awkward moment.

“Oh, Ben, you lack a good sense of humor!” Slater walked up and rubbed his shoulder as she pried Pierre from his death grip and brought him to her side. “Why don’t we finish this grand night with some sleep, yes? My housekeepers will show you to your rooms.” Slater quickly turned to her heels and fled the room before anyone could comment or object.

I began to understand what Ben meant about Slater, and I had to struggle as to decide whether or not she was merely an eccentric queen or an annoying business owner.

I half expected Ben to say something cruel and smart at me, but his silence was a worse punishment. His eyes that normally pierced into me had turned away and refused to acknowledge me. It was almost hurtful to be denied, but I was too tired and too buzzed to truly care.

A butler and a maid took us to the upstairs, where they first took me to a wing overlooking the trees of the property. The room was far too large and extravagant to be considered a place of rest. It reminded me of a museum and I was half afraid to touch the canopy bed or I’d risk destroying the piece of art.

“Good night,” Pierre bowed his head apologetically again. Burgess continued to look away, and the maid closed the door and separated me from him for the rest of the night.

“Good night,” I whispered back and I felt a cool draft settle onto my exposed skin. I didn’t want to sleep in the dress, but I decided to make myself as comfortable as possible.

I went into the bathroom and found a bathrobe that looked new and soft along with small slippers that welcomed my previously high heeled feet.

But there was a problem that I was embarrassed to face. I couldn’t unzip myself from the dress. As I struggled to free myself from the beautiful but terrible gown, I looked in the mirror to find that the makeup that had been so precise and flawless upon my face had begun to melt into my skin. I almost looked like I had been crying, and it wasn’t until I wiped at my cheeks to realize I was.

I couldn’t understand why I was having salty tears pour down my face, but I quickly went to the sink and proceeded to scrub my face free of the messy face paint.

A knock on the door startled me but freed me from my sudden outburst. When I went to answer it, I wasn’t surprised to see Pierre looking at me with that hopeful and insecure grin.

“Hi, will you hear me out?” Pierre raised both hands as though in surrender. He hadn’t changed out of the tuxedo he wore to dinner.

I pressed my head out into the hall to see if anyone else was nearby. “All right, but if you try anything, I’ll scream.”

Pierre closed the door behind him, but thankfully he didn’t lock it. “I really am sorry for putting you through that.”

“Sure,” I looked away and went back into the bathroom as I tried to take my hair out of its firm style.

He didn’t give up and continued, “I didn’t have much of a choice, though. I was just doing what Madame Slater ordered me to.”

I began struggling with the dress, but Pierre came from behind me and unzipped the back. My heart pace quickened and I pushed him out of the bathroom and locked the door. “Does she order you to do this often?” I called out as I carefully took the dress off.

“Yes,” Pierre’s muffled voice answered. “She likes to, how you say, screw with Ben.”

As I shrugged myself into the bathrobe I hesitated as I reached to open the door. “Why?”

Pierre was quiet, and I could almost hear his faint breath against the wooden frame. “…It’s just the way she is. I can’t explain why.”

I picked up the dress gingerly and found the purse on the floor. I took out the cell phone and placed it onto a side pocket. I then opened the door, and Pierre’s blank face brightened. “I hope you don’t hate me.”

I knew it was the alcohol that denied me the right to be enraged, but it was a good thing that I lacked the energy to be angry. I was tired, but I still had a good head on my shoulders to know that Pierre was capable of much deceit. “You’re a good actor,” I decided to show some kindness, as I remembered the key reason of being there. I was to help Burgess maintain a partnership between Slater Enterprise and Burgess Incorporated.

I decided that I would try to help Burgess as best as I could, especially after letting myself slip up during the chess match. A worry that I was falling for Burgess crossed my mind, but I reminded myself that it was for work. Or at least a mere attraction, but nothing else.

“You think so?” Pierre flashed me a smile through surprisingly straight teeth.

“Yes,” I fit into my patronizing mask effortlessly. “You could be in movies.”

Pierre let out a soft laugh and continued to beam with pride. “Thanks, but I sold my soul to the Madame when I finished college years ago.”

“How old are you?” He looked no older than Ben.

“I’m thirty five.”

I blinked in shock and shook my head in denial. “But you look so young.”

“I know, and it’s a main topic that my employer likes to discuss.” Pierre flung onto the bed and let out a sigh. “So you’re not mad at me?” His insecurity was beginning to break through the illusion that he had created, and I began to see that he truly was the timid Pierre I had heard over the phone and first met face to face.

“I don’t know,” I was manipulating whatever I could, “that was a pretty low thing you did. I could lose my job thanks to you.”

Pierre sat up and concern spread through his face. “I’ll talk to Madame about it, and maybe she could convince Burgess to keep you.”

I shook my head and sat next to him on the soft bed, careful to keep the robe wrapped securely over my chest. “I think the best way would be to have the deal between our bosses made by tomorrow morning.”

Pierre scoffed and looked unsure. “The truth is… Slater has no intention of forming a business alliance with Ben.”

My smiling face had sagged into a disappointed scowl. “I don’t understand. Why did she put us through this?”

Pierre was abashed. “I’m sorry, but Slater often places her professionalism far from Burgess. Though I feel it’s a poor decision for the enterprise, she likes to pick on your boss. It's how she shows her affection,” Pierre’s expression had gone cold and disgusted. “But he wouldn't understand, he's just a child.”

“Hey,” I gave him a warning look. “Back off. Burgess may be young, but he’s nowhere near immature.”

Pierre’s eyes began probing me, and he sighed sadly. “You too?”

“What do you mean?”

“Another case of employee likes employer, in a romantic sense.” Pierre took my hand and began studying the palm. “Don’t worry, I understand, that’s a curse for all secretaries.”

“That’s not it,” I shook my head and snorted. “Burgess is… not my type.”

Pierre laughed. “You’re a devil! Maybe that’s why Slater likes you, because you try so hard to deny it.”

I became bold and almost obnoxious at his words. “I know how I feel.”

“That’s the same as saying that you know what the future will be.” Pierre began running his index finger across the lines of my palm. “But you never know until it becomes the past.”

I stole my hand back and tried to squeeze his touch away. “Burgess needs this deal to happen.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s impossible. When Madame Slater wills it, so shall it be.”

“I’d like to talk to her,” I murmured, and looked at Pierre pleadingly. “Is that possible?”

Pierre looked at his expensive watch, and looked up at me. “You’d risk bothering a ruthless business woman?”

“Yes,” I nodded and uncertainty began to interfere with my intention. I was going to convince her, even if it meant begging on my knees. “Where’s her room?”

Pierre sighed and smiled at me, impressed. “I’ll take you to her. But don’t get your hopes up, she seems laid back but she'd make an old man tear himself apart if she was in one of those moods.” Pierre briskly exited the room with me quickly following him in the housecoat and fluffy slippers.

After a long and intense silence of walking through the large building, Pierre stopped at a large pair of doors that were closed. I could almost feel the power radiating from the room through the wooden barrier, but I took a deep breath and firmly knocked on the door.

“Good luck,” Pierre winked at me and quickly fled the hallway. I looked at the direction he disappeared in disdain.

“Come in,” Slater’s voice croaked and I heard a soft cough through the door.

I entered the lavishly decorated room to find Slater seated at a small recliner, her graying hair poured down onto her shoulders. She had a book in hand which she prompty closed.

“My dear, could you not sleep?” I felt at ease as she looked at me with raw concern gleaming in her gaze.

“No, but…” I felt slightly dizzy as I took another step closer to her. “I wanted to ask you…” I couldn’t come out and demand anything from the woman, but I had to try or at least know why she was toying with Burgess and me.

“Here,” Slater gestured to another recliner parallel to hers. “Sit down and relax.”

“Thanks,” I sunk into the cushions and I cleared my throat. “About today…”

“Say no more, I understand that what I did was questionable and contemptible,” Slater waved it off as though it was flecks of dust. “It’s all done.”

“All right, but will you proceed with the deal?” I didn’t care about being subtle anymore. Slater was beginning to overpower me with merely a flick of a wrist.

“Ah, I see. Did Burgess put you up to this?” Slater shrugged. “The poor boy, I had to refuse him. He went off in a tantrum and was about to take you and leave back to the States… and then he walked in on you and Pierre.”

Another smash of remorse attacked me, and I was ashamed to have let myself be so foolish. “This deal is important to him. Please reconsider.”

Slater raised an eyebrow. “You care so much for the advancement of Burgess Incorporated? No,” Slater began to smile. “You care about your boss. How nice.” Slater began to caress her book’s spine. “Do you know what happened to Burgess’ previous assistant?”

“Yes,” I murmured and swallowed as I remembered how easily Lila had told me with no sympathy in her voice.

“When a girl is willing to take her own life merely because of a pretty face, it shows how foolish the world has become. How reckless and inconsiderate a person could be. What she did took its toll on little Ben, though he’s good at hiding it. And I admit I’m in the wrong as well. I like to make the boy’s life a living hell. He hardly knew his mother, and I enjoyed his visits to play with my daughter and young Charles… oh my, I’m babbling!” Slater let out a small giggle. “It’s the fine wine and dining…” She paused. “What were we talking about?” It seemed as though she was desperately trying to change the subject—it was clear that she was only pretending to be dumb. The way her lower lip quivered ever so slightly made her appear to be a saddened person.

“The business deal between yours and Ben’s companies—” I reminded her but paused and lowered my voice out of respect. “Wouldn’t it strengthen your business as well?”

“Yes, it would.” Slater’s eyes had gotten cool and aloof. “But my decision stands.” I thought I heard a crack of weakness in her words.

“Could you tell me the reason why you’re not going to go through with it?” I clasped my hands together as I silently begged for her to rethink her choice. “Is there anything that can be done to change your mind?”

Slater sighed in boredom and looked away. “You’re quite persistent, aren’t you?” Slater then smiled and stood up. “I’d like to see Charles again.”

A new problem arose. I wondered if Walker would want to meet Slater again. If he didn’t, I’d have to trick him and I would never forgive myself if I did that. “I’ll talk to him… but what if he doesn’t want to see you?”

Slater’s eyes narrowed. “Why wouldn’t he want to see me?” I was silent. “Give me your word that I’ll get to see him by this week and I’ll make the correspondence with Ben. Do we have a deal?”

I paused but decided to try. “Does your phone call overseas?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated 2/22/10