‹ Prequel: South Of Nowhere.

Waste Of Time.

six.

I hadn't talked to Jack for two weeks. He called my house or cellphone constantly, leaving voice messages telling me how sorry he was and how he wanted us to be friends still. I couldn't trust him. I ignored all of his calls, I just wasn't ready to talk.

I pulled my work shirt over my head and walked out to my car, seeing the second batch of daisy's that I've gotten from Jack. I took them out from behind the windsheild wiper hastily. I unlocked my car doors with a click of a button and hopped inside. I pulled out the notecard from in between the flowers and looked at it.

Ellarie, I'm sorry for what I did. I shouldn't have. It was horrible.
Please forgive me.
Jack.


I put it back in the flowers and threw them into the backseat, along with the other bundle of roses. I pulled out of the driveway, heading to work. I was ready to quit and move to another state. The only thing holding me back was my parents. They were the only ones who supported me finacially when I really needed it. They pulled me back up onto my feet after highschool.

I pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store, heading inside. I clocked in and took my space behind the counter top, flicking on the light that indicated my check out aisle was open and ready for customers.

The automatic doors opened and I turned to see who had walked in. Alex. We made breif eyecontact before he took a sharp turn down the bread isle. I sighed and leaned against the back wall, picking at my fingernails.

I couldn't even begin to explain how mixed my emotions were. The feeling of Alex annoying the shit out of me everyother day that he comes in here, makes my heart beat a little faster. The feeling that I got when he looked me directly in the eyes. It made me feel like I was in highschool again. Alex and his sweet charm. I wasn't going to let him ruin me again.

The sound of someone slamming something down on the belt made me jump. I peered around the corner of the gum rack, seeing Alex. He had slammed down a twenty four pack of water, a loaf of bread, honey buns, zebra cakes and then a case of beer.

I rang them up. There were four other cashiers, and he had to choose me. I stuffed his items into a bag and watched him swipe his credit card through the machine.

"How have you been?" Alex asked normally.
"Pretty good." I nodded, looking at his total.
"That's great." He smiled softly.

I handed him his recipe and bit my lip softly from nervousness.

"See you later." Alex said casually.
"Have a nice day." I muttered.

Alex grabbed his sacks and put them in the cart before strolling out of here. While I rang up the next customers items, I couldn't believe what had just happened. Alex and I had our first normal converstation since highschool.

I waited for the next clerk to walk in to take over my shift. I wanted to get out of here.

"Ellarie!" I heard an exasperated voice.

My heart sank into my chest. Jack. I turned my head slowly, seeing him stumble in through the doors. He looked rough.

"Ellarie, I need to talk to you." Jack said loudly.
"I'm at work, Jack." I said through gritted teeth.

I looked at the lady in front of me who folded her arms across her chest, annoyed. I continued to ring her items up and stuffed them in bags. She put them in her cart and left the store. I was probably going to be reported, and then fired.

I closed my aisle and turned to Jack angrily. I didn't understand why he would come into my work place, yelling like a maniac.

"Ellarie, please listen." He put his hand on my shoulder.
"Jack. I'm at work. There's a reason I've been ignoring your calls. I think you should respect that." I told him softly, picking his hand up off my shoulder.

I looked up at him. He looked defeated.

"Please. Please come to my house and we can eat together and talk. I just don't want to lose you as a friend." Jack said sadly.

I noticed the stubble on his chin. His hair was greasy and he kind of smelled like an onion.

"Have you showered?" I raised my eyebrow.
"No, and I'm not going to unless you come home with me." Jack said stubbornly.
"Don't hold that against me." I laughed.
"I'm going to." Jack nodded his head.

I sighed and slumped my shoulders, defeated.

"Fine. I just have to wait for the next clerk to walk in." I told him.

At that moment the back door jingled. I turned around, seeing Jenna. She was the person who usually worked after I did. I smiled at her and let her take over the counter. I clocked out and followed Jack outside.

"I guess I'll follow you to your house." I told him.
"Sounds like a plan." Jack got into his car.

Alex's POV

I walked into Jack's house, put the food in his cabinets accordingly. I pulled out the case of beer and popped one open. I went into his living room, taking the remote from Zack.

"Jerk." He muttered, getting up.
"Don't think about grabbing a beer!" I yelled after him over my shoulder.
"What the hell crawled up your ass?" Zack asked.
"Jack." Rian snickered.
"Oh, you guys are mature." I rolled my eyes.
"Never said we were." Rian laughed.

Jack had left twenty minutes ago, claiming he had to go apologize to Ellarie for what happened. I felt bad about what I had said. I wanted to take it back. I didn't plan on breaking up with her that way, but it felt too heartbreaking to do it in person. I didn't want to see her hurt. I didn't want to see her cry.

I accomplished both within a fifteen minute period. I even got her to beat the shit out of me. I wanted her back. I had been in a relationship like ours since that day. Just quick meaningless fucks. They meant nothing. They would never be Ellarie, and I kept doing it, thinking someone like her would show up.

"Super Troopers or Zoolander?" Rian held up the two DVD cases.
"Zoolander." I finished my beer.

I got up from the couch and walked into the kitchen, throwing the empty can into the trashcan. I grabbed a new one, hitting the tab with my thumb. I grabbed a knife and put a carb in it.

Zack walked into the kitchen.

"Jack is back." He told me, reaching for a beer.
"So?" I scoffed.
"Ellarie is with him." He said bluntly.

I nearly dropped my beer onto the floor. I walked casually out of the kitchen, ignoring the person that I desperatly wanted to talk to. I sat down on the couch, grabbing the remote. I turned up the volume as Zoolander started.

"I love this movie!" Ellarie exclaimed from behind me.
"Want anything to eat?" Jack asked her.
"Nah. I'm good." She told me.
"Drinks?" Jack asked, pointing his fingers at her. "Good, we have plently of beer." Jack said before she could respond.

"Ellarie laughed and took the recliner next to the couch. I glanced at her from the corner of my eye.

"Staring problem, Gaskarth?" Ellarie snapped.
"Don't flatter yourself, sweetheart." I smirked.
"I'll try my best." Ellarie mocked.

Jack walked back into the livingroom, throwing her a beer. She caught it with her hands and relaxed back into the chair, focusing on the movie.

"So, Alex. You went to the grocery store when we didn't need food."
♠ ♠ ♠
moar comments right meow.
has anyone seen super troopers? hands down best movie ever.