Status: In progress.

Detention

day five.

Art was right before last period. It was lucky for me. I went from one room, next door, and then didn't have to move for a good two hours or so; the period and the detention.

Excitedly, I bounced my leg up and down, waiting for my bunny to be given back to me. The teacher, Ms. Kayne, was handing them out awfully slow. I chewed on my nails in anticipation.

"Yo, Val." Tori said, nudging me. "What's up with you?"

"I wanna see my grade." I said, not taking my eyes off Ms. Kayne.

"Why?"

"I think I did good."

"I saw yours." Brianna, another friend of mine, said, smiling. "It was awesome."

"Thanks." I watched as Ms. Kayne walked to our table. She handed Tori and Bri theirs, but I was left empty handed. "Uh, Ms. Kayne." I said, standing.

"Yes?"

"I didn't get mine back." She smiled.

"I wanted to put it on display. It was wonderfully drawn. A+ of course." I grinned brightly.

"Really?" She nodded. "But, uh, can I borrow it really quick? I wanna show it to someone."

"Sure." She nodded. "Just bring it back before the end of next period." She lifted it off her desk, handing it to me. I nodded, skipping back to my table.

"I got a 100, I got a 100." I sang, cabbage patching. They laughed, shaking their heads. The bell rang, making me jump and my dancing stop. I grabbed my bag, quickly running for the door. They called after me in confusion, but I went straight next door. "Mr. Cena!" I exclaimed, skidding to a stop. He paused, currently erasing the board, to look at me, eyebrow raised.

"Valerie?"

"Look!" I waved the paper around, walking closer to him. He released the eraser, turning to me. "Look, look!" I unrolled it, showing off the big A+ on the front. A smile stretched across his face. I bounced with excitement, beaming at him.

"I'm proud of you." He said, grinning. I threw my arms around him without noticing, squealing loudly.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! Ah, my mom's gonna freak!" I pulled back quickly. I ran back to the art room, grinning at Ms. Kayne as I left it on her desk. I was humming to myself as I danced back into Mr. Cena's room. Students filed in, giving me odd looks, but I merely grinned back at them. The warning bell rang and Mr. Cena became Mr. Cena again, the teacher, not the friend.

Image

"You're in a good mood." He said in the middle of the detention, after we'd stopped talking.

"I am." I went from window to window, peering outside. I side stepped, bumping into the bookcase. I examined the contents. "I need something to read."

"You read?"

"Hilarious." I picked up a book, Cell, and flipped it open. "Stephen King writes horror stories, right?" I asked.

"I think so."

"I'm borrowing this." I stuffed it in my bag. "If they ask, cover for me."

"Will do." He nodded, covering his mouth as he yawned. "What time is it?" He craned his neck at the wall clock, squinting at it.

"It doesn't work. None of those clocks do." He frowned, digging his phone out and flipping it open. "Oh, no way, no way." I took my phone out, showing it to him. It was the same kind, just different colors.

"Figures." He laughed.

"Can I have it?" I said, faking an accent. "Can I have yo numbah? Can I have it?" His eyebrow rose.

"Uh-"

"THE BACK OF YO HEAD IS RIDICULOUS!" I yelled stupidly. He made a face.

"Thank you?" I giggled.

"It's this thing." I waved my hand. "You're old. You wouldn't know it." He frowned.

"I'm not that old." I scoffed.

"You're like....25?"

"23." He glared. "Thank you very much."

"I was close." I shrugged. "Still old." I flicked the side of his head, stepping in front of the board. I doodled idly, until I heard a voice in the hall yell;

"Get home already! The doors lock in half an hour!" I dove for my desk, folding my hands, staring straight ahead. Mr. Cena quickly erased what I'd drawn and looked out the window. "Everything alright in here?" The principal asked.

"Yep." Mr. Cena nodded. "She's been pretty quiet today."

"That's good." He nodded. "You can leave early."

"Seriously?" I brightened. "Thanks." I stood, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "You rock." I patted his shoulder as I passed him. He blinked, looking back at me.

"Thank you?"

"She's like that." Mr. Cena said. "Always." I grinned. He was right.

Image

"BOO!" I screamed, jumping out from behind his car. He jumped, surprised.

"That's not funny." He said as I laughed, leaning against his car.

"You should of seen your face!" I said between laughs. He blushed, embarrassed, as he opened his car door.

"Whatever." He mumbled. "Where's your mom?" He looked around, changing the subject.

"Oh." I cleared my throat. "I'm walking today."

"It's getting pretty cold." His nose crinkled. "Why don't you call her?"

"She's at work." I shrugged. He hesitated, staring at me. He sighed, turning.

"Hop in." I blinked, gaping.

"Wha?"

"I'll give you a ride." He gestured to the passenger seat. I shuffled around the front of the car, hopping in.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"No problem." He started the car as I pulled my seat belt on. He left the music on a low level as we drove, me guiding him where to go.

"That's my house." I pointed. "Last house on the left. Mwahahaha." He rolled his eyes.

"See you tomorrow, Val." He smiled. My eyebrow rose slightly.

"See ya, John." He rolled his eyes, nodding. He drove off, beeping as I waved to him.

"Who was that?" A voice said. I screamed, jumping sky high. Mr. Cena's car stopped suddenly. I could see him watching through the mirror. I placed a hand over my heart, waving him away, telling him I was okay. He continued on.

"Jesus Christ, Mich." I said, shoving her. "You scared the fuck outta me."

"Sorry." She grinned. "But, seriously, who was that?" Michelle was my neighbor. We'd been friends since I was in elementary school.

"My teacher." I shifted uncomfortably. "It's cold, I needed a ride."

"Oooh." She smirked. "So you rode him? I mean, rode with him?" I blushed furiously.

"Shut up." She laughed.

"You like him."

"No, I don't."

"You so do!"

"Goodbye, Michelle." I closed the door in her face, sighing.

I so did like him.