‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Not Superstitious

"A cemetary?" I questioned as Jesse pulled up next to one, "For real? Are you kidding me?"
"Nope," Jesse smiled as he parked the car in the pitch black next to some cop cars.
"Is nothing sacred anymore?" I asked while getting out of the car with my kit.
"Don't tell me you're scared," Jesse laughed as I gave him a look.
"I'm not, I mean someone's seriously disturbed for wanting to kill someone in a cemetary. Even the dead deserve our respect."
"Let's just get this over with," Jesse sighed as we walked through the cemetary gates as we headed to where the body was found.

"Ah, the two day time CSIs," The coroner mentioned as we gave him a look, "Welcome to the night shift."
"Do you guys get calls like this all the time?" I questioned as I took out my flashlight.
"No, this is the first time I've been called out here," He replied as he examined the body, "I can't tell the exact cause of death yet but with the body being on this monument, I was thinking it was some cult sacrifice."
"Wow," Jesse took it in, "We'll collect the evidence."

The coroner finished up as I slid on the gloves as I looked at Jesse.

"See, told you," I gave him a look, "No respect for the dead."
"It is a bit freakier now," He nodded.
"Like you said," I went to start collecting things, "Let's get this over with."

It took us about an hour to collect anything that could be used as evidence as the temperature started to drop in Miami as I shivered a bit.

"You ok?" Jesse asked as I nodded.
"I should've brought a jacket," I shivered again, "Let's just get back to the lab."
"You can use mine," Jesse offered as I shook my head.
"We collected all we could for now, let's just go."
"Alright," He sighed as we headed back to the lab in which I went into the trace lab as I ran some trace we found next to the body.

As I waited, I felt my eyes grow heavy for a bit when I noticed some files sitting on the table of where Ryan worked. They looked familiar and I was about to go through them when Jesse walked through the door.

"Did you run the trace yet?" Jesse asked.
"I just did," I nodded as the results came up, "That substance we found next to the body was glue."
"Glue?" Jesse questioned, "What kind of glue?"
"Um, hair glue," I looked at the results, "You think the killer had some in their hair?"
"I'm not sure," Jesse shrugged, "I'll go compare with the night shift and I'll tell you."
"Thanks."

As time went on in the lab, the sun was slowly starting to rise as I felt myself winding down for the most part, the other part of me was starting to get that dizzy feeling back into my system.

"Just one more Sylar," I mumbled to myself, "You can make it."
"Are you ok?" Natalia asked as she walked into the lab with me.
"Huh?"
"You were talking to yourself," She smiled at me, "I was just wondering if you were ok?"
"I wish I were," I sighed as I felt my stomach churn, "Excuse me."

I ran to the bathroom just in time as I emptied the contents of my stomach into the toilet. Wiping my mouth while flushing the toilet, I let out a groan as I went to cool my face down then rinse my mouth out.

"Damn you Ryan," I mumbled as I felt my stomach and slowly made my way back to the lab.

"Are you ok?" Natalia asked as I nodded, "You're not sick are you?"
"No," I smiled at her, "I'm fine, it's just, it'll pass, trust me."
"Ok," She gave me a look since I hadn't told anyone else about this yet.
"So, is Ryan coming in yet?"
"He should be soon," She yawned, "But I'm heading home for a few hours, two shifts was way too much."
"Night Natalia," I smiled as she walked out of the lab as I finished running some trace for the night shift when Ryan walked in.

"You, in my lab?" Ryan chuckled, "Now that's hot."
"Shut up," I glared, "I'm so hating you right now."
"Why?" Ryan looked confused as he watched me.
"Making me pregnant again."
"About that," He lowered his voice, "I was thinking, just to make sure you completely are, mabye tonight we could-"
"I just puked everything I ate in the toilet," I looked at him, "Plus I've got work tonight."
"I get off early and-"
"Dude, I must be either crazy or really pregnant because I'm actually considering you're idea."
"See," He chuckled a bit, "I know you too well."
"Yeah yeah," I rolled my eyes, "Are you kicking me out of your lab?"
"For now," He sighed with a smile, "Caleb is watching Tyler at the house, so go home, get some rest, take it easy."
"I will," I nodded at him, "I'll see you later."
"Night Sylar," Ryan waved as I headed out the door to head back home again.

Once at home, Caleb kept Tyler entertained until noon in which I was woken up from my sleep on the couch by Caleb.

"Sy," Caleb mentioned, "I've got to get going, work and all."
"Oh yeah," I yawned as I sat up to stretched, "Yeah, no, go. Thanks so much for watching Tyler for me."
"Don't mention it," He shrugged with a smile, "He's a cute kid. Behaved super well too."
"Laters," I waved to Caleb as he headed to the door.

"Hey Tyler," I smiled as he was in his bouncer, "Good morning to you too."

I watched as bounced across the floor as I headed to the kitchen to find something to eat and drink.

"A week to the wedding," I thought out loud as I slowly opened the Gatorade, "It needs to hurry up."

"Mmm," I heard Tyler as I smiled at him.
"Mm, what?" I laughed as he bounced into the wall over and over again, "Kid, you are so going to end up like me if you keep doing that."

I picked him up as he giggled, "And daddy wouldn't be too happy with me if you were."

A few hours later, my dad was at the house to pick up Tyler for what he called "grandpa time" but I think it's because Ryan said he wanted to take me out or something. Only we weren't really going out.

"Thanks dad," I smiled at Horatio, "Remember if you need anything, call."
"He'll be fine," Horatio smiled as I watched him take him to the car just as Ryan pulled into the driveway.
"Hey H," Ryan smiled at him.
"Mr. Wolfe," Horatio nodded as Ryan walked into the house.

"Kinda weird that he'll be your in-law in a few days huh?" I smirked.
"Tell me about it," He rolled his eyes as he pushed me into the house slightly then locked the door behind him.