‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Case Study

I followed Nick to another room in which I face to face with this blond boy, well man, or what not. He was skinny and working on something as I walked into the room with Nick.

"Greg," Nick cleared his throat, "This is Sylar, Sylar this is Greg."
"Hey," He looked up at me quickly then went back to his work.
"Wait for it," I mumbled with a smile as his head snapped back up at me.
"Wait, you're Sylar Caine? As in the Sylar Caine. daredevil extraordinaire."
"Well I've never heard it put that way," I smiled as I nodded, "But yeah, that's me."
"Man, that was insane what you did at the last competition and a pretty brutal fall," Greg gushed.
"Thanks and it was just a fractured wrist and a few bruised ribs," I shrugged, "I got lucky."
"I'll say," He smiled.
"Well, I've leave you two," Nick smiled at me as he headed to the door, "You two are going to the crime scene."
"I'll drive," Greg sighed as he finished up as I followed him out to the car.

The crime scene we were driving to was at some high end hotel in Vegas where this woman was murdered. It fit the whole "business meeting" idea that the killer was using to find his victims. But this time, he went after some politican's daughter in which he changed up his MO a bit, causing for news media to be everywhere. It didn't help that my face was everywhere lately with more people starting to notice me.

"So," Greg broke the silence as he drove to the hotel, "How'd you come across this case?"
"I was starting pretty early as a profiler," I started thinking back, "Jake Berekely had been my best friend since as long as I could remember, he was the ATF agent who always found time for me even if he was deep undercover. He told me that I always had that way of figuring people out by watching their behaviors and even referenced me into the job."

"Anyways," I continued after I looked at Greg quickly, "Jake had been pulled off ATF for a while and brought in to work on this case that LAPD couldn't figure out. They wouldn't even let us into the files about what they had on the guy or anything. We were like rogue cops who had a love for motorcycles and what not. At the time, I had just broken up with a guy who cheated on me with another girl, it devasted me. So this case, it just kinda fell into my lap. Jake told me about what the killer was doing and I knew I had to stop him before it elevated. We were so close at catching the guy a few months into the investigation, we had hard evidence and everything."

"What happened?" Greg asked as he looked at me.
"The guy got a lawyer and the lawyer claimed that we didn't follow procedures," I looked out the window, "Come to find out, we had a snitch in our lab who tainted evidence and our case was thrown out the window."
"Wow."
"Yeah," I rubbed my temple, "It sent me and Jake back to our day jobs. We never stopped tracking him though. We had insiders on the FBI feeding us information that they came across but for the most part, someone's kept this case closed tightly. There's just something that's been off about the whole thing."

Greg soon pulled up to the hotel which I stepped out of the car to look at. It was that hotel that I had to tell Jesse that I lost the baby since I was getting ready to go out for a competition just to do meet and greets, see the old friends, then my tragedy happened. It was a sad feeling that washed over me, especially since it also held the last fight that I had with Jesse in it's walls.

"Sylar?" Greg asked, "You ok?"
"Fine," I shook my head trying to shake the memory, "Let's go."

We got inside the hotel to process the evidence which was difficult enough since I had to pass a ton of cameras that were asking me questions about my personal life, why I was there, everything. That's why I was glad to be back in the room with Greg, it was quiet, no one was there.

"Alright, I'm going to run these prints," Greg mentioned, "I'll send them back to the lab."
"Alright," I nodded as I walked towards the stairs in the hallway, "I'll go see if the killer used a different route for his escape."
"Ok."

I walked up the stairs to the next floor to find the suite that I always stayed in with Jesse. I had asked the front desk clerk for the key when Greg wasn't paying attention. To my luck, it wasn't occupied. I slowly slide the card through the reader as the door opened.

Stepping into the room, it was almost the same as it had been when I last left it. The bed sheets changed colors but it was still that canopy bed in the middle of the room, small kitchen, then the bathroom. After looking around the room, I walked towards the balcony in which I looked over the railing. There, underneath it, I felt the carved initials of what I carved for a while ago.

"Sylar?" Greg broke my concentration, "What are you doing?"
"Nothing," I shook my head at him, "I just thought someone said they seen something here, but there's nothing."
"Right," He nodded, "Ready to head back?"
"Yeah."

Back in the lab, Greg was running prints and evidence when Nick walked into give me a stack of files.

"What's this?" I looked up at him.
"You can use my office," He looked at me, "You need to be caught up on everything."
"Thanks," I smiled at him as I took the files to follow him.

In his office, I read reports on evidence, cases, police reports, everything. My eyes were starting to grow heavy for taking all this in when my phone rang.

"Hello?"
"Wow, sounds rough," I heard Ryan chuckle into the phone.
"Hey," I stretched as I ran through some papers, "It is. Old case files and everything. It's so dry."
"I bet."
"How are things going?"
"Good for the most part," He sighed as I heard Tyler in the background, "Tyler, don't."
"Aww, what's he doing?"
"Trying to put my tie in his mouth."
"Aww, that's so cute," I smiled in which I could tell he was rolling his eyes.
"I'll have baby drool on me."
"You're going back to work?"
"No, just if I wear it again."
"Eh, you'll be fine," I smirked, "But how's he been?"
"Good, just fussy at night."
"It happens."
"I was thinking about trying some baby food with him."
"I don't know," I thought as I looked at some papers slightly, "I mean he's still young."
"You're right," He nodded, "Ouch."
"What?"
"Kid's got daggers for nails."
"Clip them," I laughed as I leant back in the chair.
"I could leave it for mommy."
"You would," I smiled as I heard Ryan laugh.
"But how are you?"
"I'm ok, stressed more than anything," I stretched again, "Missing you guys."
"I miss you too."
"I'm just hoping I can figure something out here and it doesn't take too long," I skimmed the files when I came across a report with my name on it, or something like that, "Hey Ryan, I've got to call you back."
"Something important happen?"
"Yeah, I'll talk to you later."
"Alright, I love you."
"I love you too,"

I hung up the phone as my attention was focused on the paper in front of me. It was a report or something like that written on me by Jesse. I didn't even know that there was one, I'm not sure that anyone did but for some reason, he filled one out.