‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Brazil to Miami

"I want you to stay here," My dad instructed as he got a tip at where the guy.
"But dad, I can do this," I pleaded as I sat on the bed looking at him, "I've been training with Eric and-"
"We'll need you here if anything goes wrong."
"But it won't," I continued.
"Sylar, stay here."
"Fine," I pouted as Eric gave me a look as he smiled lightly, "Please be safe."
"We will," Eric nodded as they headed out the hotel door as I flopped back on the bed when there was a knock at my door.

I got up slowly from my spot to see Jake standing there through the peep hole then opened the door.

"Get your gun," Jake rushed into the room as I shut the door behind him.
"Why?"
"Horatio and Eric were lead false information."
"So they're being lead into a trap?"
"Yeah," He nodded, "But they can handle. I know where the guy is, come on."
"But I told H-"
"I know you did but I know you wouldn't of stayed here either."
"Alright," I quickly found my gun then followed Jake out the door to a pretty shady area of town.

People were watching us pass but I didn't keep eye contact with them for long as Jake drove down the street. We had to park a bit away since we didn't want to draw extra attention to ourselves. Stepping into the building, it was old, dark, musty. Everything I had feared would happen.

It was also too quiet as I walked through the halls, Jake behind me, covering me just in case. I could hear voices in another room but I wasn't sure how far away we were from them. Jake went to check a room in which I headed in the same direction when I found a tape recorder playing. Slowly approaching it, I sighed then headed back towards Jake when I heard it.

The shot rang out as I ran through the dark halls to the direction I last seen Jake in as my heart was racing. Then I seen him, the guy who wanted us gone, I did what seemed to come naturally as he turned to face me, gun facing me as I pulled my trigger before he did. I watched as he fell to the ground, a pool of blood flowing from the shot that went straight between his eyes.

I heard Jake groan as I hurried into the room to see him holding his shoulder as I rushed over to him.

"Jake!" I knelt down to him to see his shirt soaked with blood, "Jake, come on stay with me."
"Sylar," Jake choked out as I nodded.
"Don't you die on me, Jake," I could feel the tears in my eyes as he smiled lightly, "I need you."
"Did you get him?"
"Yeah, don't worry about him," I smiled lightly as I pulled out my phone to call my dad, "Dad, I need you and Eric and a helicopter. Jake's been shot."

I told my dad were I was which I knew he'd be upset but everything was all a blur right now. All I could remember was Jake at the hotel to now. My mind was swimming as I watched over his body when I finally heard help arrive. I tuned out pretty much everything else around me as I watched Jake get put in the copter as I got in with him as they flew him back to Miami.

I knew I was going to get lectured about everything once I was home since I knew no one would leave any of this out to anyone. Jake's blood was on my hands as I sat there watching him, my mind half blank to the world around me.

When we finally touched down in Miami, I watched as Jake was wheeled into the hospital as I stood outside to try to collect my thoughts.

"Sylar," Eric mentioned as I turned to face him, "What happened?"
"Jake came over to tell me that you were fed false information and we went to find this guy on our own."
"Jake was in Brazil?" Eric questioned as I nodded.
"Yeah," I sighed, "Ryan told him to watch out for me."
"How'd he get shot?"
"Are you Stetler now?" I half chuckled with a hint of anger in my voice, "Seriously Eric, my best friend was just shot, his blood is still on my hands, and I don't know if I'll make it out."
"I'm sorry," Eric smiled lightly as I looked down.
"I just keep thinking that everything is all my fault, the Brazil trip, Jake getting shot and probably going to die-"
"Hey," Eric stopped me, "He's not going to die. How about I buy you some coffee?"
"No thanks," I shrugged as he just stood there when I seen Ryan with Tyler run up to us, "Excuse me."

"Sylar thank god," Ryan kissed me quickly, "I was so worried about you."
"I'm fine," I smiled lightly as I looked at him, "But Jake-"
"He'll be ok."
"I wish everyone would stop saying it like that," I rolled my eyes as I headed to the door, "You weren't there."
"You did as much as you could."
"No, I didn't," I snapped as I opened the door, "I could've done more."

The hours ticked by in the hospital as Ryan stayed for the most part with me until Tyler got too fussy to stay and he went to take him home. About that time, Jesse walked through the door with a sub sandwhich as I smiled at him lightly.

"Ryan worries about you, you know," He handed me a sandwich.
"I know. I just don't want to go home right now."
"Jake will be fine," Jesse smiled as I nodded again.
"I know. The doctor told me he's out of surgery and he'll make a full recovery about half an hour ago."
"Then why are you still here?" Jesse asked with a smirk as I sighed.
"I'm scared."
"Scared?" Jesse looked at me with a quizzical look.
"That I'll lose this baby."
"Why?" Jesse got serious as I picked at the bread.
"You know how I got dizzy not long ago?"
"Yeah?"
"Well when I was pregnant with your baby, that's what happened."
"Oh," He nodded.
"And I don't want to lose this baby," I sniffled as I felt tears fall from my eyes, "I don't want to let Ryan down. I don't want to lose him or Tyler either. I just can't go through that again."
"Hey," Jesse rubbed my back as I rested my elbows on my knees then my chin on my hands, "It'll be ok. You're worrying too much."
"I'm just so scared."
"Ssh," Jesse whispered, "It'll all be ok. Want me to drive you home?"
"Thanks," I smiled at him as he helped me up and I was put in his car to head back home with Ryan.

As the front door opened, Ryan was walking by as I wrapped my arms around him.

"Is Jake ok?" Ryan asked as I nodded.
"Yeah."
"Then what's wrong?" He questioned as I still hung onto him.
"Can we talk?"
"Always. What about?"
"Something I'm terrified of and don't want to lose you over."
"Sylar?" He gave me a look as I pulled him to the couch in which I was about to open up to him as I hoped he'd be ok with it all.