‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Just Stop and Think

I woke up in the same hospital bed, a splitting headache as I tried to adjust to the bright lights of the room. I slowly moved in which the figure sitting next to me woke up to look at me with a smile.

"Hey," Ryan smiled at me lightly, "How are you feeling?"
"Like I've been hit by a truck," I groaned as I sat up in bed, "Tell me I didn't get hit by a truck."
"No," He smiled a bit at me as he took my hand, "I was so scared."
"I'm sorry," I looked at him, "Where is everyone?"
"Tyler's with Jake, Calleigh and Eric went to get coffee, Natalia went to get some sleep, Jesse and your dad were working on some things with this case, and Alexx is your doctor."
"That's good," I smiled at him as I closed my eyes a bit.
"Tired?"
"Not really," I looked at him, "Just sore. When can I leave?"
"Not until tomorrow," He smiled at me as I rolled my eyes.
"I wanna go home now."
"You just relax, ok," Ryan leant up to kiss my as my eyes started to close, "You've been through a lot."
"Stay with me," I mumbled as I felt my eyes start to grow heavy and I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, I was still sore but Alexx let me go home by 2 which I was glad she let me do. She was slowly helping me get dressed as Ryan knocked on the door.

"Come in, Ryan," Alexx smiled as I slid my shirt over my head.
"Hey Alexx," Ryan smiled at her while holding Tyler.
"Aww, he's getting so big," Alexx smiled.
"I know and fussy," Ryan rolled his eyes at the last part as I half glared at my riding boots since I didn't feel like putting them on.
"You make sure she rests the next couples days, do you hear me?" Alexx gave her a look as he nodded.
"I will."
"Alright Sylar," She looked back at me, "You listen to what Ryan tells you."
"Ok."
"I'm glad you're ok," She smiled as I smiled back at her.
"Thanks Alexx," I waved at her as she walked out the door.

As she did, Ryan walked closer to me to reveal that he had a pair of flip flops with him.

"I figured you could use these," He smiled as he sat them on the flooro and I smiled wider.
"Thank you so much," I slid them on my feet as I slowly stood up, "Where's Jake?"
"He's coming over to the house for dinner," He nodded, "Then tonight, we need to talk."
"Ok," I grabbed the rest of my things as I headed out the door.

Normally the normal person can just walk out the door and head to their car. But not me. You see, the media found out what had happened which then had a million di fferent media outlets at the door as Ryan blocked me to head to the car with me. It was crazy, I was in pain yet they were asking questions and flashing cameras. It wasn't the most fun, not to mention I felt bad for Ryan having to push through the crowd just to make it to his car.

"Sorry," I looked at him as I got in the seat with a wince.
"You're ok, right?" He asked as he finished getting Tyler in the car seat.
"Yeah."
"Then that's all that matters," He smiled as he got in the car to start the engine.
"But I threw you into the whole media eye thing."
"Don't worry about it," He slowly took my hand, "I've had to work cases where I've had to protect someone like that."
"I just wish they didn't hear about this. Not exactly something I want in the news."
"Which is why we're going home, I'm putting Tyler done for a nap then getting dinner and Jake should be there by then if you need anything."
"Thank you," I smiled at him, "I love you."
"I love you too."

A few hours later, Ryan had finally got Tyler down for a nap as he went to the store when I heard a knock at the door in which I went to answer it to see Jake.

"Hey," I smiled at him as I hugged him quickly, "Thank you so much."
"Don't mention it," He smiled at me as I broke away from him, "I'm just glad that I found you and you were still alive."
"Me, give up? Never," I laughed as I walked back to the couch in which he sat down with me.
"So how are you feeling?"
"Sore, pissed, then wondering why me."
"I guess you won't be competiting this weekend huh?" He smirked at me as I shook my head slowly.
"No, I'm still going to this weekend," I shrugged as Jake gave me a strange look.
"Sylar, seriously," Jake looked at me, "You just got out of the hospital, rest for one day."
"You know how many times I've done that?" I questioned as he looked at me.
"Yeah, but you need it. Take this weekend off, there's still the other competition in Miami the following weekend."
"I've taken enough time off."
"Sylar-"
"Can we just talk about something else?" I questioned as he let out a sigh.

An hour later, Ryan finally came home in which Tyler started to wake up which he went to get. Jake did change the subject but I knew it was still bothering him about how stubborn I was being. After dinner, Jake played with Tyler for a while until it got later in which he started to fall asleep. Ryan took Tyler from Jake to put him down for bed as Jake stood up to stretch a bit.

"I guess I should be going," He looked at me.
"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Of course," He gave me a light smile, "You know Sylar, I know you're dead set on competiting this weekend but just hear me out for a second."
"What?" I rolled my eyes while crossing my arms at him.
"Ryan just walked away from an explosion a couple weeks ago, he was worrieed about you and Tyler, now he's watching you come back from being kidnapped again, it's a lot for him to take in. I know you love your bike and the thrill of the competition but just for this one time, don't go, stay with him. Let him know that he's still got you, give him some time."
"Thanks Jake," I sighed as I opened the door for him.
"Spend the entire weekend with Ryan and Tyler," He smiled at me, "We'll be fine this weekend."
"Laters Jake," I smiled lightly at him as he kissed my cheek then headed out the door.

I locked the door behing Jake as Ryan came back into the living room.

"Jake leave?"
"Yeah," I nodded as I looked at Ryan.
"Let's talk," Ryan looked at me as I sat down on the couch as he followed me.
"Look, if this is about either one of my jobs, hear me out for a second."
"Ok," He nodded as I shifted on the couch.
"I know you're worried about me. Between being kidnapped by one and the injuries with the other, it's a lot on you. But you need to stop and take a deep breath, ok?" I asked looking at him, "I love both of them and I can't see my life without the other anymore. There's risks with everything. I mean if I took a job at some store, I still run the same risks as now. And I worry about you just as much. I mean you almost got blown up!"
"I know," Ryan sighed as he looked at me, "I just want you to take some time off, relax, heal properly before jumping back into things."
"As long as you do."
"Sylar-"
"No, I'm serious. You haven't had just time off since the explosion," I looked at him.
"I'm taking this weekend off," He looked down at his fingers than at me, "I was hoping you'd take the same time off and recover."
"I hate being in the house bored."
"We wouldn't have to," Ryan took my hands in his, "We could go to the zoo, do something with Tyler."
"No work?"
"None," He smiled.
"Alright," I sighed as I watched his smile grow wider, "Only because I love you so much."
"Thank you," Ryan kissed me quickly as he got up then held out his hand for me, "Let's go to bed."
"I can't do things if that's what you're thinking," I smirked at him as he let out a chuckle.
"As much as I really really want to, I know."
"God, so perverted," I rolled my eyes.
"Well you did agree to marry me."