‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Breaking My Heart

Monday.

I was still sore but I was back in the lab, mainly to answer any questions about what happened to me. I didn't really want to since it still scared me, going over what happened. But I guess that's what happens when the guy lawyered up and claimed that I made up a crazy story.

Even though it was hot out, I had worn long sleeves just because I didn't want people to see the wounds still on me. I knew they were looking at me too, especially with these bruises on my faces.

I had stepped outside to get some fresh air, when I heard the door open behind me.

"You ok, kid?" I turned to see Jake look at me as I slowly nodded my head but he knew better, "Sylar."
"I don't want to go back in there," I broke down, "I know I've only got a few more questions to answer but I know everyone's looking at me. Don't tell me they're not. I can see it in their eyes."
"Why don't I take you to lunch?" Jake smiled lightly.
"I'm not hungry," I mumbled.
"Then just out for a while, away from this for a bit."
"Um, questioning," I gave him a look as he smiled again.
"Let me talk to Horatio tell him you need a break, ok?"
"Yeah," I leant against the wall as he nudged my cheek lightly.
"Wait here."

Jake went into the building to talk to Horatio and Rick to allow me a break with everything. Oddly enough, Rick understood and let Jake take me out. I must've been pretty bad if even Rick Stetler allowed me a break.

"Come on," Jake motioned towards me with a smile, "Let's take a walk."

I followed Jake out to his car in which he took me to a park on this nice sunny day. Jake helped me out of the car with his hand, the same hand that didn't seem to leave mine as our fingers entwined and we walked down the pathway.

"So, other than the numerous questions about what happened," Jake started, "How have you been holding up?"
"Ok," I shrugged as we walked, "I'm fine, just a bit sore yet. I mean I really want to get back to work and everything but doctors orders."
"Yeah I wouldn't want to make Alexx made," He smiled as I shook my head.
"Then all these bruises and cuts, I can see it everyone's eyes and faces, they all feel sorry for me and I don't want them to."
"Even Ryan?"
"Yeah," I sighed, "I mean he means well and loves me but lately it feels like he's afraid to touch me, afraid to kiss me, afraid I might break or something."
"It makes sense."
"Then I know, he doesn't know what do to since he wasn't there to protect me."
"Think about it," Jake mentioned as we walked, "You've been kidnapped two times and he wasn't there to save you, you've crashed so many times and he wasn't there when you did."
"Come to think of it," I smirked lightly, "You've been there for all my recent crashes, then your face was the last thing I seen before I blacked out."
"There's a reason for everything," He smiled lightly as I stopped to look at him.
"Jake?"
"Don't worry about it," He smiled as he lightly shoved me as we kept walking.

As we were walking, I was finally enjoying the time away from everyone, cameras, and what not. But all good things have to come to an end, don't they? You see, as we were walking, a few people noticed me, started telling their friends, which then turned into more people noticing me. That's when the cameras showed up and started taking pictures of me with Jake, who's hand I had still been holding but didn't notice it.

"Sylar, is this the guy in the tape with you?" The guy asked as my attention was now directed towards him even though many other questions about competitons and things were being thrown out.
"What tape?" I glared as my heart stopped as the guy took pictures.
"The home video that has gone viral," He mentioned as I looked shocked yet clueless and half pissed, if that was even possible.
"I don't know what you're talking about," I shook him off but the cameras wouldn't leave.
"Hey!" Some random guy mentioned, "Leave the girl alone! She's just like any of us in the park. Stop bugging her!"
"And who are you?" The guy with the camera asked.
"Just leave the girl alone," He mentioned as Jake flashed the cameras a badge.
"I think that'd be wise."

The cameras all left as I sighed then looked at the guy who came to my rescue.

"Thank," I smiled at him, "You didn't have to but thanks."
"Evan," He smiled sticking out his hand which I shook, "And it's no problem. You're just a normal person like the rest of us who just happens to pull off sick tricks."
"Thanks," I smiled at him then thought, "Oh hey, um, do you know this video they're talking about?"
"Yeah," He looked down at bit, "I respect you too much but one of my idiot friends sent it to me. I knew it was personal so I didn't watch it."
"How bad is it?" I questioned as he took out his phone.
"It's all over the web," He opened the internet as he shown me, "And it's gotten to a few papers and television stations."
"Great," I looked at Jake as the Evan guy gave me a light smile.
"I'm sorry. I know you have your family to think about and everything."
"Hey, it's not your fault," I looked at him with a smile, "Does anyone know how it got there?"
"There's a few rumours, one of them that is more popular is some dark haired girl launched it as blackmail."
"If you hear a name," I wrote down the Headquarters number, "Call this number and ask for me, ok?'"
"Will do," He nodded as he walked off as I looked at Jake.

"What?"
"This isn't supposed to happen," I looked at him as he tried to stop me.
"What's not supposed to happen?"
"This," I sighed, "That tape was made when I was with Jesse, you know the whole situation with him, but it was never to be seen by anyone else."
"Did he leak it?"
"No," I shook my head, "That girl, Anna, she somehow got ahold of the tape and well guess who's trying to ruin things for me."
"Come on," Jake gave me a smile, "Let's go back to the lab."

As we got to the Lab, someone told me that Ryan had went home early. I wasn't sure as to why and neither were they but he wasn't there. I had finished my questioning in which I was about to head home to find Ryan but Jesse ran up to me and stopped me.

"Sylar, I'm so sorry," Jesse caught his breath as I looked at him.
"What?"
"Ryan," He tried to put this words together, "That tape, I've been working on who sent it but Ryan was sent it during his shift."
"No."
"I'm sorry."
"Damn it!" I let out scream as Jake noticed and walked back towards me, "You just had to go and follow Anna didn't you?"
"Me?" Jesse raised an eyebrow at me, "How do I know it wasn't you?"
"Look at me, Jesse!" I glared at him, "I had the shit beaten out of me! Do you think I want more attention on me?"
"I just-"
"Go and talk to your girl," I glared as I walked off in which Jake followed me.

As I got home, Jake waited in his car as I walked up to him, half scared of what I'd find when I got in the house.

"Want me to wait here?" Jake asked as I looked at him.
"Yeah," I nodded then headed into the house.

As I slowly opened the door, there were things thrown across the house, pictures broken, a hole in the wall, it made me even more nervous.

"Ryan," I whispered in which I waited for an answer, "Ryan?"

He walked foreward with a stern look on his face as I stopped to look at him.

"Please let me explain," I spoke slowly as he looked at me.
"Oh please, I'm dying to hear the explanation on this one," Ryan crossed his arms at me as I took a deep breath.
"I know you're pissed and upset but this tape, it was way before I even met you. I told you how I was dating Jesse, that's when it happened."
"And you just let it leak out into the open?" He glared as I shook my head.
"No, it's nothing like that," I moved a bit closer to him but still kept distance, "Someone had stole it, most likely made copies and now, it's being used as black mail against the both of us."
"Why?"
"It's complicated," I looked down as I heard him let out a low chuckle.
"Everything's always so complicated with you isn't it, Sylar?"
"I don't want you to get hurt," I mentioned as I watched him roll his eyes, "Not emotionally but physically."
"And you think I like seeing you get hurt?" He questioned as he raised his voice a bit, "I've had to watch you crash a million times, sit here and wait as you were kidnapped, don't tell me about not wanting to see you get hurt."
"Is that what this is about?" I questioned as he looked at me, "You're upset because you haven't saved me?"
"It's always been Jake or Eric to save you," He huffed, "I love you and everytime you get hurt, it's never me."
"Ryan, oh my god," I couldn't believe it was coming to this, "I love you to death and you saved me when Draven died, when I had no one to turn to, when everything was going wrong, I could turn to you."
"It seems like it's Jake lately," He mumbled as I rolled my eyes.
"Because he's the only one treating me like I'm not made of glass!"
Ryan got silent for a second as he took in a deep breath, "You know what?"
"What?"
"I think we need to take a break," He looked at me as my heart shattered.
"Take a break?" I questioned as I was hoping he wasn't saying what I think he was, "You mean as in break up?"
"No, I mean as spending time apart," He looked at me as I tried to think of why he'd want to.
"Is there someone else?"
"No," He got aggrivating a bit, "It's always been you, Sylar, but I think we need some time apart."
"But we're supposed to get married soon," I felt the tears start to sting my eyes.
"It can wait," He looked at me as I tried not to break down.
"But Tyler-"
"I can manage him."
"Fine," I huffed as I turned my back towards him, "Have fun in the house all by yourself."

I walked out the door, making sure to slam it on the way as I got in the car with Jake.

"Everything ok?" Jake asked as I looked away from him.
"Just drive," I mumbled as I felt the tears fall from my face.