Status: Updated As Soon As I Get Free Time...

Destiny

A Rude Awakening

In the dead of night a girls’ scream slices throughout the trees, but nobody can hear her. She runs faster than she knew she could, but as she turns her head to look behind her, she trips over an uprooted tree and falls down. A mans’ voice can be heard but it is only a whisper, “You can run, but you can’t hide," it says. The girl cries, tasting salty tears slip into her mouth as her heart races faster and loud enough that she can hear the sound of her blood pumping and ringing in her ears. She gets up and runs to the nearest tree and holds herself tightly against the hard, thick bark.
The sound of leaves crunching beneath heavy boots pad closer and closer and then suddenly stop. Trying hard to breathe as softly as possible, she peeks out from behind the tree but sees no one. Suddenly someone violently twists her arm, and another slicing scream fills the nights silent air ~

I jolted awake, sweating and not being able to breathe very well. I've been having this dream for weeks now and every night I woke up in a panic.
I could hear screaming in the distance. “Am I still dreaming?” I wonder, and pinch myself to make sure, but the screaming was still there. Suddenly the window over my bed shattered.
"That shouldn't happen," I mumbled under my breath, now feeling a little scared. I quickly jumped off the bed and peered out into the night through the broken window. A chill had set deep in my bones when I saw that homes were ablaze and Vampires were screaming, even some of them were caught on fire!
“What’s going on?" I asked, though I knew that I wasn't going to get an answer.
I pushed aside the wooden board that I used as my door and ran straight to Vivian’s. Vivian and I have been friends since we were Vampireling’s, and we have always worried about each other. I swear we should have been born sisters even though she is the exact opposite of me. Vivian has dark skin with pale blue eyes and short, spiky chocolate brown hair. She has always been there for me, even when we were younger; I hoped everything was okay, and that she wasn’t hurt.
Once I arrived at Vivian’s living quarters I was shocked by the sight I saw. There, where Vivian’s home used to stand was only ashes and dead wood. My mind raced as my eyes searched frantically for her, and without even thinking I called for her, "Vivian! Where are you?"
No sooner had the question escaped my lips that someone clamped a hard hand over my mouth and muffled out my cries.
"Be quiet or you're going to get us both killed!" A soft voice whispered in my ear.
"Vivian?" I mumbled through the hand that was still clutched on my face.
"Yes, it's me," she said, and released her hand from my mouth. As I turned around to look her in the eyes, I gasped, probably louder than I screamed not so long before. Vivian’s face had deep red gashes scored across her cheeks; her arms were all scratched and one of her legs looked as if she had been bitten badly. When I realized how slouched she was I had to ask, "Oh man, what happened to you?" putting aside the fact that our village was being destroyed.
"Don't worry about me right now!" she replied, unable to comprehend why I was so calm. "Worry about yourself. You're the one they are after, and they'll kill anyone who gets in their way, even me!"
I knew what she who she was talking about as soon as she said "they." Clearly the Xavenerians were attacking again, and even though I knew better, this seemed to be the worst of it so far.
"You have to get out,” Vivian said, breaking the silence.
"Where? Where do I go?" I asked, my mind was frantically trying to compose a plan, though I had no idea what I was supposed to do!
"Here I'll show you. Follow me, and hurry!"

Minutes later Vivian and I were standing at the edge of a forest. On the other side was supposed to be a safe land, but that was only what everyone said, though I can recall the old stories saying no one had actually seen it. The rumour was that whoever passed through the forest were never seen or heard of again! I didn't know for sure then if I would ever see Vivian again.
"Look for a stream in the forest; when you find it, follow it, and it'll be much easier to find your way out," Vivian said sternly. “What are you looking at me like that for?” she asked with one brow raised. “I heard it from somewhere okay? It might be useful, I don‘t know.”
I nodded, understanding.
"Why don't you just come with me?" I pleaded. it seemed like suicide to just stay with the Xavenerians.
"I can't," she paused. "I'll only slow you down. And if the Xavenerians ask any questions, they'll have to kill me before I say anything, which would give you more time to get away," she assured with a suppressed smile.
I gave her a gloomy face in return and said,
“Don’t try to make me feel better.” Then we hugged each other goodbye, knowing that we may never see each other again. She abruptly pushed me into the path I knew I had to take, and as I started walking I heard her faint voice say,
"Goodbye Violet."