Status: Updates Every Fortnight

I Swear I Love You

Takes Two To Tango... In A Relationship That Is

For the first time since Orlando the band finally had their bus back, which included Logan returning to his designated role as driver, for Avenged Sevenfold anyway. The show in Philadelphia was the next day so their last night in the hotel was sacrificed in the wake of the Halloween festivities, since as soon as the night had finished they pretty much had to pack up their stuff and get on the road.

“Would you like a coffee Zacky?” Coral asked as she rose from the couch where she had been watching the morning television with Zacky. His gaze followed her as she stood up and hovered by the door that sectioned off where they were staying from the rest of the bus. However his eyes did linger for a few moments on where his shirt just about covered her underwear before it moved further upwards where it was needed.

“I’d love one, thank you.”

She quickly fixed up a couple of mugs of steaming coffee for the pair of them before she sat back down on the couch with him, easily slotting into his arms as they both sipped their drinks. “I’m sorry for keeping you up like this. You can go to bed you know. It’s not your fault I’m still stuck on Australian time.”

“That’s alright.” She held his coffee for him as he curled his arms around her tighter. “It’s for you, so I’m fine about it.”

She laughed and pecked him on the cheek. “You’re sweet.”

He nuzzled his face into her neck and kissed it softly. “Only for you.”

“Zacky…” She pulled away from him slightly.

“Coral? Is something wrong?”

“No…”

He frowned. “You sound as if something is wrong.”

She twisted to face him after placing the two mugs beside the couch, sporting a small smile. “Nothing is wrong, seriously.” When she leant back to lie back down Zacky did the same, making sure she was as comfortable as possible even though he was squished against the back of the couch. “You can’t seriously be comfortable like that.”

He didn’t reply.

“Zacky?” She shifted carefully to face him so not to knock Zacky’s arm resting around her waist or fall off the couch. “Oh.”

When she turned to look at him his eyes were closed, his lips curled upright at the edges in a subtle, sleeping smile. Coral couldn’t resist leaning forward and gently kissing him on nose as he slept; breathing out a few chuckles as his smile grew in reflex. She knew how important it was for him to get some sleep since he had dutifully stayed up with her since they left Baltimore, despite looking clearly exhausted the whole time. Of course he tried to hide it from her, but after the increasing number of yawns alongside the numerous shots of coffee she could easily guess he really needed to sleep, and with a show in the evening she didn’t want to stop him.

“Sweet dreams, my gorgeous fairytale.”

--

When the rhythm guitarist opened his eyes again he had to blink a few times to clear the blurred edges of his vision, tainted by sleep, before fully waking to a flurry of coral strands. The owner of these shared the name of Coral with them, and as if on instinct, a few moments later the emerald orbs attracted.

Coral smiled. “Hey.”

“Hey yourself.”

She chuckled softly as he simply stared at her. “What are you looking at?”

“You.”

“Why?”

“Why not?” He leant forward and their lips brushed against each other’s. “Am I not allowed?”

“Well of course you are but-”

“But?”

She grinned. “If I’m honest, it’s a little creepy.” She pecked him on the forehead before moving back onto her feet, stretching out her cramped limbs as he sat upright on the couch. “How long have you been awake? I hope you didn’t want to move just because you might wake me up.”

“I wouldn’t want to move anyway,” he replied, joining her and resting his arms around her waist from behind. “But no. I wasn’t awake long. I’m sorry I fell asleep on you.”

“Don’t worry about it.” She swivelled in his arms in order to face him, before rolling onto her toes in order to press her lips to his. “I like watching you.” A knock prevented the kiss from progressing further and Zacky reluctantly pulled away from both her lips and her to open it.

“Ah, so the lovebirds finally wake!” Zacky rolled his eyes at the comment, but his slight irritation quickly vanished as Coral slid under his outstretched arm and pressed to his side. “You know, I still can’t believe someone like you got a chick like her.”

Zacky looked worried at Coral to see if she would take the comment badly, but she simply laughed. “I’ll take that as a compliment. It’s Jason, right?”

He chuckled. “Nah, that’s my brother. “I’m Matt.”

“Sorry!” Her cheeks matched the colour of her hair. “I’m terrible with names. That means there are two Matts then… right?”

He nodded. “Hit the nail on the head.”

“Oh dear.” She reached out and touched his arm. “If I get your name wrong again, feel free to have a go at me. I can remember the names of my dolphins just fine but introduce me to people…” She shook her head and sighed. “I’ll just apologise in advance.”

Matt laughed. “Well if it’s any help, you can call me Snow-”

“Snow?”

He scratched the back of his head. “I know it sounds a bit stupid but it’s what Jess calls me and…”

“Jessie calls you that?” She smiled. “It’s because your last name is Berry, right? So Snowberry?”

“Yeah.” He looked stumped. “How did you know that?”

“I’ve known Jessie a long time, so I know how she gets confused if two people share the same name,” Coral explained. “There was someone back at work who had the same name as my brother so she called him Twist, like that Oliver Twist character.” She laughed fondly to herself. “She’s a strange character that girl, but I certainly love her to pieces. Even though there is only like six months between our birthdays she still makes me feel like an old mother around her. I hate to think what her real mom has to put up with.”

“Oh yeah, you work with Jess don’t you? Back in Australia?”

She nodded. “Well, she basically lives with me actually. Well. Not basically.” She smiled. “She does.”

Zacky looked at her with surprised. “She lives with you?”

“Only since she finished her degree, since she lived with Olly before then.”

“Olly?”

“My brother.” She looked thoughtful. “They were going out for pretty much the whole time they were at university together. That’s why I know her so well.”

“Oh, so that guy I saw back when I first saw you over the internet was your brother?” Zacky asked. “Is he older than you then?”

“No, we’re the same age.” She chuckled lightly. “Olly is my twin- but I’m older.”

“How did I not guess?” Zacky replied.

“Well not really anyone gets that we’re twins, not when we look so different. We don’t even look like we’re related.” She smiled. “They say I look more like mom and he takes after dad.”

“Well then your mom must have been a model if you take after her since you’re absolutely gorgeous.”

She pushed him away and laughed. “That was so unbelievably lame Zacky.”

Zacky scowled as Matt roared with laughter at his rejection. “Shut it Matt. What did you come here for anyway?”

“Oh yeah! Sorry man. I came to wake you up.”

“Wake me up? What for?”

“Well… uh…” He grinned. “You’re on stage in like…” He glanced behind him at the clock on the microwave. “Half an hour.”

Zacky’s expression snapped from annoyance to shock. “What?! That so can’t be right!”

“Sorry dude.”

“Ah shit!” He rushed an apology to Coral as he darted past her to pull on a random shirt from the bag on his bunk before he sprinted the other way and slammed the door to the bathroom behind him. Coral merely exchanged looks with Matt before she turned away and put on a pair of her shorts underneath Zacky’s shirt and shrugged on a light jacket. She slipped into a pair of gold sandals just hidden underneath the couch before she joined Matt on it.

“Does this always happen before shows?”

“Something usually comes up. Either one of them oversleeps or they get stuck out in the city or whatever.” He shrugged. “It’s alright though. We always get them there on time.”

“We?”

“Me and my brother. It’s like our second job.”

“Sounds like a full time job,” she chuckled. “How come you didn’t get Zacky earlier? I thought you did sound checks or something before the show?”

“We did.”

“But Zacky wasn’t there.”

“That’s right.”

“So…” She looked confused. “How did you do his sound check if he wasn’t there?”

“It’s only to test sound levels and tuning, so anyone can jump in and do it,” Matt explained. “Jess ended up stepping in.”

“Jessie? But she doesn’t know anything about guitars!”

He laughed, shaking his head. “Don’t worry, she had help. Brian was more than happy to help her… not that Jimmy seemed too pleased about it.”

“Brian? Jimmy?” She looked at him curiously. “What do you mean?”

Matt looked at her funny. “You don’t know?”

“Don’t know what?”

“That both Brian and Jimmy are basically gunning for the same girl?” Zacky walked in just as he replied, his mouth dropping open as he heard their conversation. “That Jimmy and Jess are married?” Coral’s eyes grew wide. Matt stepped back from her unexpected reaction. “You… You didn’t know?”

She ignored him and shifted her gaze straight to Zacky. “Did you know?”

“Well yes but-”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“Yes, but-”

She stood up and challenged him; her expression bordering enraged, but kept from falling into the pit of anger by her sense of betrayal. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

He shrunk under her accusing eyes. “I- I thought Jess told you.”

“Jessie… right,” she repeated slowly, backing from him and sinking back onto the couch. “No, she didn’t tell me.” Her shoulders slumped. “She didn’t tell me.”

“Coral…” Zacky sat down beside Coral and extended an arm around her shoulders. “I’m sure she meant to tell you-”

“No, she did mean not to,” Coral replied. “What happened on Monday?”

“Monday?” He frowned in thought. “Nothing. We did a sound check and then crashed with a few movies.”

“Nothing bad happened?”

“Well I fell off the stage…”

“You fell off the stage?” She said incredulously.

“I…uh… overbalanced.”

“Overbalanced? How?”

Matt quickly cut in before Zacky could make anything up. “Everyone had gone out drinking the night before and Zacky here-” He patted them on the leg. “-just couldn’t handle the after effects. He fell off the stage after he had put his guitar on. He uh… what did you say? Overbalanced from the weight.”

Zacky scowled at him. “You don’t have to say it like that-”

“Wait, hang on,” Coral interrupted. “You said you went out drinking the night before.”

Zacky nodded. “Yeah, the night we hit Massachusetts.”

“So did anything happen that night?”

“That night? Not that I know.”

“Oh.” She frowned. “She rang me on Monday but considering the time difference it would probably make it… Sunday? So did anything happen before you went out?”

“Before? Erm… I don’t really… wait.”

Coral’s eyes narrowed. “Did something happen?”

“Uh…” He exchanged looks with Matt, who after some facial expressions got what he was on about.

“Oh. OH!” Matt quickly clamped his mouth shut when Coral turned on him.

“What. Happened?”

Zacky attempted to answer her. “Well I don’t think we should be the ones to say-”

“Zacky.” She looked at him imploringly, a worried look gracing her emerald orbs. “Please. I don’t want to be left in the dark.”

He took one look at her expression and sighed. “Okay.” He reached out and squeezed her hand. “Jess and Brian… well. They kinda slept together.”

“Kinda?!”

“Well. They did.”

“While she’s married to Jimmy?”

“Yeah.” He looked apologetic. “Sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” She sighed. “I can’t believe she didn’t tell me this!”

Zacky squeezed her hand again. “I’m sure she was going to tell you.”

“Maybe.” Her hand remained clasped in his as the pair of them stood, led initially by Coral’s distress. “We better get going otherwise you’ll be late.”

“I guess you’re right.” He turned to Matt. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

Matt quickly got the hint. “Alright. I’ll go on ahead.” Then he left.

As soon as he was gone, Zacky turned to Coral. “Hey.” He gently caressed the edge of her cheek with the back of his hand. “It’ll be alright. I’m sure Jess had a reason.”

Her gaze didn’t find his. “I know she does.”

“Hey,” he said softly, gently tilting her chin up so she looked at him. “It’ll be alright, okay?” He embraced her lovingly. “I promise.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do.”

“How?”

He tightened his arms. “Because who would want to hurt you?” He gently eased her into a reluctant walk, and under the dying light the pair of them made their way from the car park to the venue. Throughout all of this Coral couldn’t help but feel lost and alone, despite knowing, both mental and physically, that Zacky was there beside her, holding her hand. As if he read her thoughts Zacky flashed a reassuring smile, but while she returned it the emotion was only skin-deep.

The only emotion she had was of betrayal.

--

The three girls hung backstage as their partners and band mates performed, talking to each other about various things, from Coral and Jess’ antics in Australia in the past to the present of Zacky and Coral’s blooming relationship. At least, that’s where the conversation ended up- of course with no influence from Val’s peaking curiosity.

“So you guys met when Jess was talking to you, right?”

Coral nodded. “Yes, that’s right. Jess called the rest of the guys over when she was talking to me with Jimmy.” Her eyes flashed briefly to Jess at the sound of her husband. She still didn’t know how to react to the new knowledge Zacky had given to her. “Apparently he wanted to talk to me more and called me again the next day.” She chucked softly. “I don’t think he meant to call me so late. He clearly didn’t know about the time differences.”

“He did?” Val looked amused. “That’s so cute!”

“Well, I certainly called it annoying at the time, it was 3am. A little later my opinion did change though.” Her lips turned up at the edges. “He apologised so much for it. Each conversation after that was basically started with him saying sorry for that one time.”

“And then you decided to fly over to meet him?”

“Actually… I was invited.”

“Zacky invited you?”

Her smile grew. “Zacky paid for me to fly here. He decided he wanted to make the next step, it wasn’t me.”

“But- But Zacky told me it was your idea,” Jess interjected.

“What guy would want to admit that he wants to be the one to make the next move?” Jess’ gaze dropped to the floor. She knew of two guys exactly like that; not that far away either. “Isn’t that normal what we, as girls, have to pester them for?”

“Pester who?” None of the girls had realised that the encore song had finished and the guys had walked back after the last note had rang out. He had to wait a few moments to get his hug however since Coral made him wipe himself down with a towel and change his shirt first before she slipped naturally into his arms. “I hope you’re not planning to do anything to me.”

“Oh of course not,” she replied, leaning her head back to look at him. “Why would I ever do that?”

“Why is it that I still think that you are going to do something?”

“I don’t know why. I’m perfectly innocent.” She rolled onto her toes and kissed him. “I promise.”

“Hm. Well as long as you are not planning anything later, how about we go explore tonight?” He looked down at her with a loving smile. “Find somewhere to eat, perhaps?”

Before she could answer, Matt decided to put in his two cents. “Did I hear about getting something to eat?” He stepped into their conversation- rather literally. “Sounds good, I’m starved.”

Zacky began to protest. “Matt I meant-”

“Hey! You lot!” The others- namely Jimmy, Brian and Jess in one corner, and Johnny and Val in the other- turned to the singer’s call. “Fancy grabbing a bite downtown?” They all exchanged an array of nods and agreements, leading Matt to clap his hands together happily before looking at a clearly distraught Zacky. “Where were you thinking of Vengeance?”

“Well I was planning on looking around, but I meant for it to be-”

“No idea huh? I’m sure we’ll find some place. I’m sure there will be a couple of bars open as well, eh?” Zacky didn’t share his grin as he nudged him.

Coral took one look at her guitarist’s distress and chuckled softly, pressing her hand lightly to his chest and smiling as he looked down upon her. “I’m sure it’ll be fun Zacky.”

“But I wanted it to be just us,” he murmured miserably, ensuring his voice was low enough so that the others didn’t hear. Even if he wanted to spend the night with Coral he wouldn’t want to hurt his friends to do it. “Go out… have dinner somewhere nice, you know?”

“It’ll be fun,” Coral reassured, bringing his hand to her face and pressing it against her cheek. “I promise.”

“How do you know?”

She smiled. “Because who would want to hurt you?”

He echoed her smile, this time pulling their intertwined hands to him and kissed the back of her hand tenderly. “I don’t know. But as long if it’s you, I wouldn’t mind.”

“But I wouldn’t hurt you, so that’s how I know it’ll be fun. I wouldn’t lie.” Their hands fell to their sides, but were still joined. “After all, we can still find time to be together, even in the most impossible of times.”

“Zack?” The others had joined Matt’s side by this point, and were all gathered, waiting for his answer. “So you up to it tonight?”

He took one glance at Coral’s warm expression before replying to Matt, his sigh of disappointment indefinitely suppressed. “Sure. It’ll be good with- with all of us.”

“So it’s settled then! Shall we meet at-”

“Excuse me Matt, but may I suggest something else?” All eyes turned to the pink-haired interruption, all eyes curious, particular those of the matching emeralds to her side. “How about instead we stay in? It won’t do our stomachs any good if all the restaurants are full up.”

Matt frowned. “Never thought of that. So you’re suggesting we order in something or…?”

“No, not ordering in.”

“So what are you saying? I want to eat something you know.”

“I’ll cook for us all.” All expressions apart from her own and Jess’ swiftly dropped at her suggestion. Clearly the fiasco of making pancakes hadn’t been forgotten. The cooking tools in the roadie’s bus- namely the stove- were still unusable but since Logan’s return with the band’s actual bus another came available.

Matt chuckled worriedly. “Erm… It’s no problem. I’m sure we’ll find somewhere to get something.”

“Why?” She cocked her head to one side. “Do you think I’m bad at cooking? You’ve never tried anything I’ve made.”

“Well I know that, but-” Pretty much in time with everyone else they all looked to Jess. “Well…”

“Well what?”

Zacky teetered slightly. “Do you remember all that police tape on the other bus?”

She nodded.

“That was a result of cooking last time.”

“Oh.” Her gaze followed the others’ to Jess, who was looking rather sorry for herself. “Jessie?”

She looked up guiltily to the sound of her name. “Yeah?”

“Why were you cooking? You know you’re terrible at it.”

Everyone erupted into a unified “WHAT?!”, clearly not expecting that response from her.

“Come on Jessie, you know you are bad at it.” She shook her head disapprovingly.

“Brian was helping me too!” Jess protested. “It could have been him who set it on fire!”

“Hey!”

Jess pouted. “And I am not a bad cook. I used to cook for Jimmy back home.”

Coral looked at Jimmy, her eyes sweeping casually from his eyes to the ring on his left hand and back again. “You lived together?”

“Well…uh…” He scratched the back of his head. “I guess. Jess needed some place to stay so I let her crash at mine.” He grinned at Jess. “She wasn’t actually a bad cook.”

Her expression was smug. “Told you.”

Johnny, to her side, sniggered. “Tell that to Larry. I’m sure he’ll love to hear that now he is living off TV dinners.”

“Hey! That’s not fair!”

“I’m sure Larry didn’t think it was fair either.”

Coral took no heed of their childish taunts and asked another question. “What were you trying to make then anyway?”

“Pancakes.” Jess was clearly sulking from her scowling expression.

“Blueberry, I’m guessing?”

Brian looked at her in surprise. “How did you guess?”

“I’ve known Jessie a long time. It’s her favourite thing to eat for breakfast. She always begs me to make them.”

“It is?” He sounded happy.

“I don’t know why I bother though. Each time she always comments that ‘something’ is missing.” She sighed. “She never could say what.”

“You just never made them right,” Jess said haughtily.

“Well you never said how I could make them right you know.”

“Well-”

“I’ll just say that perhaps blueberry pancakes is something I’ll leave to the person who makes them.” Her eyes connected with Brian’s for a brief second that for a moment he thought it was on purpose- but it had been brief enough that it might have just been a coincidence or simply a passing look until they reached Matt. “I promise you, setting stoves on fire is not on my qualification list.”

“Well…” He looked to the others for guidance who shrugged. It was almost like the rest of the band where his counsel members and he was the leader. “Uh…”

“I think it’ll be nice, don’t you think Mattie?” Val looked up at her partner imploringly. “We’ve been living off junk for this whole tour- it’ll be a good change. Healthier too, no doubt.”

“Uh… I guess.” He scratched his head sheepishly. “I guess we can eat in on the bus tonight then. I don’t know what you are going to make though, there isn’t a lot of actual stuff on there…”

“That’s alright.” She looked up at Zacky and smiled at him. “We’ll go shopping and pick some things up.” She pressed herself to his chest and pulled his arm around her. “We won’t be long.”

“Oh, okay then. Do you want us to come with?”

“No, don’t trouble yourself Matt!” A sweet expression emphasised her words as being nothing more than a warm gesture. “This dinner is my thanks for letting me spend time with you. Leave everything to me.”

“Are you sure?”

She nodded. “Of course I am.” She walked a few steps towards the exit with Zacky in tow, allowing him a few rushed moments to grab his jacket he had worn on stage off the side. “We’ll only be a while.”

“If you’re sure.” Matt called. “Just tell Zack to ring us if you need anything.”

“I will!”

It was only after Coral had pulled Zacky out of the venue and begun to walk down the sidewalk that he finally found a time to talk. “Why did you offer to cook? We could have easily ordered something to the bus, we’ve done it before.”

“It was needed.” Due to their rushed departure Coral wasn’t exactly appropriately dressed for the nightly weather conditions, still in her Mistfit tee and shorts combination from earlier. Her shivers didn’t go unnoticed however, and soon after Zacky’s hand released from hers she felt something warm press against her shoulders. She looked up at the owner with undoubted worry. “Won’t you get cold?”

“You need it more than me,” he replied, leaning over and kissing her head softly. “And anyway, I’m not the idiot going around in shorts at night.”

“It’s not normally this cold back at home,” she retorted. “And I am not an idiot!”

“I was only joking babe,” he chuckled. Their hands locked once again as they finished walking another block, past another load of closed shops due to the late time. “What did you mean then anyway?”

“When?”

“Just a minute ago.” He glanced at her from the edge of his eye. “You said it was needed; that’s why you said you wanted to cook.”

“Oh.” She said nothing else.

“So…?”

“So what?”

“What do you mean?”

“So…” He stopped, leading her to stop as well. “Why did you have to cook? Why was it needed?”

“Well,” she began. The resume of their walking pace paralleled her continuing conversation. “It was for you actually.”

“Me?”

“Yup. Don’t you remember what I said?”

“Remember what?”

A pure, innocent laugh slipped from her pale lips, drawing his eyes to the creator of such a beautiful sound. “Even in the most impossible of times, we can still find time to be together,” she quoted. “Or something like that. I don’t do exactly.”

Something clicked. “So that’s why…”

She nodded happily. “If I offer to cook, surely we’ll have to go out and buy ingredients, hm?”

“And we would have to go out and get them, meaning we would find time to be together, even in the most impossible time,” Zacky finished. They stopped again by his command. “You’re brilliant.” Under the dim shrine of a graffiti-marked streetlight their lips met, parting until their tongues were dancing to a sensual skit, choreographed to the sounds of the Philadelphia nightlife. When their entanglement finally stopped and they parted breathless their foreheads met, feeding off one another’s strength to keep them in mutual balance.

He exhaled a sigh. “I wish you didn’t have to go. Everything seems brighter with you in it.”

She giggled. “Brighter with me in it? Perhaps that is just because there is a light above us?” She skipped forward a few steps and pulled gently on his hand. “If we keep stopping like this there won’t be time to make dinner.”

Zacky simply laughed alongside her as she pulled him along, no longer thinking of their short time together, but simply how they were spending the time they had now.

--

About an hour later the shopping was done and the cooking had just been finished and plated up, and soon a plethora of dishes were arranged buffet style down the walkway of the bus, considering there was no table in the entertainment area where they had all assembled. The food ranged from simple fried fish with homemade chips to her take on the stereotypical expression of ‘shrimps on the barbie’, which were essentially skewered shrimp with peppers and onions to create a kebab. Also on the menu were more universal dishes such as salads and other party foods like cocktail sausages and sausage rolls. Even with this large amount of food the dessert was homemade, with seven perfectly cooked chocolate fondants resting on the side for after.

“My god this is delicious!” Val moaned, her taste buds revelling on the consumption of ‘properly’ cooked food for once. “How did she manage to make these kebabs? They are so good!”

“I don’t know about you, but these are my favourite,” Matt replied, his words muffled as he tossed a beef strip that had been coated in a dark sauce, accompanied soon after with a mouthful of rice. “I’ve never tasted something like this before. That Coral is one good cook.”

“She certainly is,” Jess agreed, taking some of the battered fish for herself. “She always cooks for Olly and me at home.”

“Well at least she’s here to cook for us now, eh?” Matt said with a grin. “I’d happily pay her.”

“Me too,” chorused the other three consisting of Johnny, Jimmy and Brian, each all stuffing their faces.

“She wouldn’t take it anyway, she’ll happily do anything as long as you asked her to,” Jess replied. “That’s just how she is.”

“She does seem like that actually,” Val interjected after swallowing her mouthful of shrimp and dabbing at the edges of her mouth with a napkin. “Speaking of Coral, where is she anyway? She was here a minute ago when she put the stuff down.”

Jess suddenly looked up and realised she was right. “I actually don’t know.” She looked around. “Hey- where’s Zacky?”

“Zacky?” This time all heads turned as a universal epiphany struck them that they were in fact missing not just one, but two people. “Where have they gone?”

Jimmy grinned slyly. “Probably fucking.”

“Jimmy!” Val cried, throwing a chip at his head which he only caught and ate. “Geez. Anyway I think we would know anyway, it’s not like this bus can keep secrets.”

“And you would know that, wouldn’t you Val?” Jimmy chuckled, eyeing her from other his beer. “I mean last tour-”

“Okay! We don’t need a description!” She screwed up her napkin and dropped on her plate which she placed on the floor by her feet before standing up. “I’ll go find them. Better tell them to hurry up or you lot will eat it all.”

“We’ll save ‘em some babe!” Matt took a chip from the rest and set it aside on a separate clean plate.

Val rolled her eyes at the action. “How kind.” She carefully stepped between the various plates on the floor until she got to the door sectioning the part of the bus off. “I’ll be right back.”

Slipping the door shut behind her she frowned as the pair were no were to be seen in the kitchen, similarly they were absent from the bathroom. Matt’s suggestion was niggling at the back of her mind so she proceeded to walk towards the back where the room she shared with Matt was, fully minded to kick the two out if they were in fact doing as Matt said. To get to her room however you did have to walk through the stacked bunks and it was here that she happened to find where Zacky and Coral had disappeared too.

The bunks weren’t exactly forgiving when it came to space, and normally they weren’t comfortable for one person- although they were a marked improvement on some other tours the band had travelled. At least on these ones they were long enough so that they could actually stretch their legs, and not keep their legs bent the whole time because they were ‘space-saving- bunks. However within the slightly more spacious bunks, specifically the lower left-hand bunk, Zacky and Coral had settled down. They were clearly asleep; both lying on their side with Zacky pressed towards the side behind him and Coral drawn tightly to his chest so they just about fit. This cramped space didn’t seem to bother them as they peacefully slept, and not wanting to disturb them despite her original motive, Val quietly tip-toed back to the others.

“So?” Matt looked at her expectantly as she returned to his side. “Are they coming?”

She shook her head. “No. They’re sleeping.” She shook her head at the vast lack of food. It could only have been about ten minutes she was gone at the most. “I see you guys didn’t decide on saving them anything.”

Jimmy shrugged. He was currently lying back against the couch, a contented look on his face and a hand resting on his swollen stomach. “It was getting cold. They wouldn’t have wanted it anyway.”

“I’m sure that’s nice, eating the food that was made for us but not saving any for the person who made it,” Val remarked. “That’s real nice.”

“Don’t worry,” Matt said, giving her a light shake, “Jess saved some. She put a bit of everything on a couple of plates and some of that plastic stuff over it.”

“You did?”

Jess nodded. “Someone had to do it. I thought I better rescue some before this lot devoured it all.”

Jimmy poked his tongue out. “She shouldn’t have made such nice stuff then.”

“I’ll tell Coral that for next time.” A sudden yawn caught her which was then passed along to each of group until a universally tired look overcame them all. “What’s the time?”

Johnny, being the closest to the door, eased it open slightly and peered at the clock on the microwave. “Half one.”

“Really? I didn’t know it was so late.” Val yawned and fell back against Matt. “I think I’m going to bed.”

“I’ll come too.”

“I think we better clean this up first though,” Val suggested, bending down to pick up a few of the bare plates. The others silently agreed and did their share, all dropping their contents into the on-board dishwasher, which for a bus full of messy guys, probably was for the best. “Remember to be quiet when you go to the back,” Val reminded, clearly concerned about their sleeping inhabitants. “They didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“I didn’t see ‘em at all last night,” Brian interjected. “I got up for a drink and there wasn’t anyone in Zack’s bed last night. Could’ve sworn I heard the TV going though.”

“Perhaps they couldn’t sleep,” Johnny said. “The time difference from Australia is what, like twelve hours?”

The answer obviously came from Jess, being from Australia herself. “That’s pretty much right.”

“So really Coral wouldn’t have felt tired until our afternoon,” Johnny concluded.

“That’s probably why they were sleeping when I got up,” Val said. “I had to get Matt Berry to go get them before the show. Apparently they had only just woken up when he got there. They must have been up all night.”

“Coral doesn’t like being far from home.” A small smile painted her lips as they all turned to Jess. “I don’t think she could ever feel right living here. She’s like a fish out of water. Literally.”

“She’s only got to get used to the time differences, that only takes a few days,” Brian retorted. “You seemed to pretty quick.”

“But I was born here; I’ve known this place most of my life,” Jess explained. “Coral hasn’t actually ever been out of Australia before. This is her first time.”

“And she came on her own?!

“Coral would do anything for someone, especially if it’s someone she cares about.” She sighed. “I wondered why she was asking about where this tour was heading when I called her. She just wanted to know so she could see how I was.”

“Surely she just came because Zack asked? I mean don’t get me wrong Jess, I know you’re friends and everything, but isn’t it a bit much that she would fly out here just to see you? I mean she would see you soon, right?”

“Maybe.” Jess shook her head. “I don’t know. Perhaps you’re right. She has been spending a lot of time with him.”

“Well I think it’s sweet, flying over here to meet up,” Val interjected, “especially for someone she has only talked to on a screen.”

“The same can be said about Zacky though, since he asked her to come,” Jess said.

“True.” Val’s hand seemed to tighten around her partner’s. “A relationship cannot be one-sided.”

“You’re right.” Jess turned away from the others then, gravitating back to the door that leads to the room they had just left.

“Jess?” Brian looked at her oddly. “Aren’t you coming?”

“Oh, I’ll just be a minute. I’m just grabbing something from the front.”

“Oh, alright.” He yawned loudly. “Don’t take too long. You’re bunking with me tonight remember.”

She smiled. “I know. I’ll see you there in a minute.”

Everyone else exchanged goodnights before trooping towards the back to their assigned bunks; Jimmy above Brian on the right, and Johnny somehow scrambling into his above Zacky’s without waking those already sleeping up. Jess meanwhile re-entered the so-called entertainment lounge on the bus and sat upon the couch with a defeated sigh.

“All this talk about relationships,” Jess muttered to herself, reaching under where she sat to grab her small bag containing her things. First she set aside her insulin for the time-being and focused upon taking a reading. A friendly beep indicated her measurement had been taken.

“It seems a bit low for before bed, don’t you think?” Coral silently shut the door behind her and sat opposite Jess on the other couch. “I thought after eating that dinner it would be higher than that. I made sure that there was plenty there that was good for you.”

Jess smiled. “I noticed.” She reached back inside her bag and popped a few glucose tablets into her hand and ate them before continuing. “You can’t resist it, can you?”

“Resist what?”

“Looking after me even though you are on holiday,” Jess chuckled. “I’m perfectly fine you know. I had it long before I met you.”

“Of course I know that, but I can’t help it. You’re like the little sister I never had.”

“Little sister?! You’re only six months older!”

She poked her tongue out playfully. “Still older.” She moved to Jess’ couch and ruffled her hair purposely. “Little sis.”

Jess huffed but didn’t press the subject further. “What are you doing up anyway? Val told us you and Zacky were asleep.”

“Asleep? Oh, she must have walked by the bunks.” She shook her head. “No, I’ve been awake all this time.”

“But Val saw-”

“I was only pretending.” A sad smile ghosted her lips. “Zacky seemed adamant to stay up with me last night, so I knew he would only do the same tonight. He’s a sweet soul, but he needs to rest. He’s exhausted. We must have only slept for a few hours this afternoon.”

“And you?”

“What about me?”

“Aren’t you tired?”

“I’m still on my feet, aren’t I?” She chuckled softly. “I’m fine.”

“If I didn’t know you like I did, I’d probably believe you,” Jess replied. “You haven’t really slept since you’ve got here, have you? I know you didn’t back in New York.” Coral turned away. “You were always up at night, like you couldn’t switch off, and then you refused to sleep during the day because you didn’t want to waste it. The only times I ever saw you sleep were after we finished breakfast. You always fell asleep watching TV waiting for me to finish in the shower.”

“I’m just always busy, that’s all.”

“You’re just not at home, that’s what it is.” Jess looked at her friend in concern. “You’re stuck on Australian time, and you can’t shake it off. So instead of fighting it, you just don’t sleep. You’re exhausted, Coral. I’m- I’m worried about you.”

Coral laughed. “You’re worried about me?! Oh Jessie! That’s so funny!” Her laughter died down when she realised Jess wasn’t laughing with her. “Come on Jessie… I’m fine.”

“I’m serious Coral. You are exhausted. You need to sleep.”

“But you said so yourself, I’m stuck on Australian time, but I refuse to sleep during the day because I want to be with everyone, since it is my holiday.” She looked at her expectantly. “So what do you propose?”

“I…”

“Yes?”

She looked away. “I think you should go home.”

Coral wasn’t expecting that answer. “I should go home? Do you not want me here?”

“No! I do!” Jess cried. “It’s just…!” Her voice dropped. “You don’t adjust here. You belong at home, in Australia.” She looked at her miserably. “Dolphins don’t belong in Antarctica.”

“Dolphins don’t belong in Antarctica?” Coral repeated slowly. “But there are dolphins in Antarctica. They’re called sea-cows. Didn’t you know that?”

“Oh, you know what I mean!” Jess said irritably.

Coral smiled. “Of course I did.” She reached over and embraced her friend, murmuring into her ear. “I just wanted to see my Jessie, that’s all.” She pulled away. “I’m sorry for being selfish. It was just a bit boring once you left, plus it had been nearly four months… I guess I just really missed you.”

“And Zacky?”

Her smile turned sorrowful. “We both know it would never work. Zacky knows I could never leave Australia for him. He said he would wait for me and visit me once the tours are over but…” She shook her head. “I couldn’t ask him to do that. It’s not fair.”

“And just before saying that, you call yourself selfish? You’re a strange one Coral.”

“It’s just the way I am, unfortunately,” Coral replied, reaching over Jess and instructing her through her insulin dose despite knowing they weren’t needed. Jess enjoyed the comfort of her mothering though. “That should set you up for the night. You should get some sleep now.”

“And you?”

“It’s only just gone two in the afternoon back at home. I think I’ll watch some TV.”

Jess stood up. “Coral… promise me you won’t stay on this tour for me. Promise me.”

“You really think I should go home?”

She nodded.

“Well alright. I promise I’ll go home soon.” Coral stood up and hugged her friend again. “Only if you do something for me in return.”

“Anything.”

“Promise me you’ll look after Zacky.” Her expression hinted at internal despair, but it was subtle enough that it couldn’t be exactly determined.

“I will.” She turned to leave.

“One more thing.”

“What’s that?”

“Remember that wherever I am, whether it’s here or back in Australia, that I’ll always be there if you want to talk. No matter what time it is, I’ll always wake up to the sound of your call, okay?”

Jess nodded. “Okay.”

“Good.” She kissed her forehead tenderly. “Good night Jessie. Get some sleep. I’ll be here if you need me.”

“Good night Coral.”

As Jess returned to the bunks out back after quickly changing into a plain vest and shorts she couldn’t help but think over her conversation with Coral. It seemed like she was really asking her a question, but didn’t actually word it, it was just there like a cryptic clue.

“Mmmjess?” Brian stirred as Jess eased herself onto the bunk, despite not wanting to wake him. “Issssat you?”

“Yes, sorry,” she whispered to him. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Thasssa ‘right,” he mumbled, shifting to the side to allow her more room. With a sigh he subconsciously curled himself around her, lazing an arm over her side. “Where did you go?”

“I was just talking.”

“To who?”

“Coral.”

“She’s awake?” He yawned loudly.

“Yeah.”

“What didja talk about?”

“Only small things. It doesn’t matter.”

“Alright.” His arm dropped as he moved, causing his fingers to brush against her hand. “That stupid ring is cold.” He retracted his arm and instead rolled onto his back, resting it against his chest. Before Jess could reply, he had already sunk back into sleep.

This left Jess to look down at her ring, and suddenly as if it had physically struck her, she knew what Coral wanted to ask. She bit her lip. How could she answer that? It made her seem so… wrong. Coral would never look at her the same. No. She wouldn’t let that happen.

She curled her hand over the ring, hiding it from sight.

She could sort it out.

She could.

Maybe.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been so long since I've updated- major apologies! I've been extremely busy and writing for this story has just been put back as I've got my exams to focus on now.

This is a long update however so hopefully that will help make up for it :)