Sequel: The District Lights
Status: Ongoing

He Stole You

Somehow I'm still alive inside

Staring at the mirror in front of her, Calla bit her lip as she tried to decide if she wanted to wear a skirt or not. There was no doubt she was going to wear her boyfriend's jersey to the game, the only problem that remained was what to wear after the game and if she should wear pants or a skirt. Normally, theses were the trivial things she hardly cared about, and usually wore jeans and a t-shirt, but today was different. She was going to meet Jonathan Toews's parents and brother.

Jon had dropped this nice little surprise at one of their dinners together out of the blue. He told her that they would be staying at the house. Immediately, Calla started to clean the house, making sure that nothing was out of place and everything was spotless. In the three weeks that they had been living together or in the month and a half since they had started dating, Calla had yet to meet Jonathan's parents.

It wasn't because Jonathan didn't want them to meet her, the exact opposite actually, he had been pressuring them to come to Chicago to meet her, but when they had started dating, they were on vacation and when they had come back from vacation they were supposed to go and visit David. Jon knew that his parents tried their best to support both him and his brother and didn't say anything after that.

Calla wasn't the type that stressed too much about what she wore. Sure there were days where she wanted to look nice or where she freaked out because she had nothing to wear, but most of the time she was rather lax about what she was wearing. This time was different. She was meeting her boyfriend's parents and she wanted to make a good impression. She didn't want them thinking she was someone that was just after Jon's money or prestige in the city.

"Cal, you ready?" Jonathan asked from the hallway as he rounded the room. He smiled when he saw Calla examining herself in the floor length mirror by the bed. He gave out a low chuckle and approached Calla. "You look fine," he reassured her. "My parents are going to love you."

"I know, but this is your parents not some random people," Calla tried to reason.

Jonathan wrapped his arms around Calla and rested his shin on top of her head. "You'll be fine," he whispered and broke their embrace. "I'm going to pick up my parents from the airport. Meet you at the UC?" he asked and Calla nodded before he left the room.

*

Calla's palms started to sweat as she waited for Jonathan to arrive at the UC with his parents in tow. As she waited, she found herself constantly checking the clock and counting down the minutes until their arrival. Jon said that they would be arriving in thirty minutes; thirty-five minutes had already passed. She wondered what was taking them so long. She checked her phone again and sighed. Nothing. No missed calls or text messages coming from Jon to let her know where they were.

"Hey Baby Finn," Burish greeted her, dressed in his suit. He had a friendly smile on his face as he approached her.

"Hi Adam."

Adam looked around expecting Jonathan to be within the vicinity. Ever since they had that one fight, it seemed like Jonathan was always around Calla. "Where's Tazer?"

"He went to pick his parents and brother up from the airport," she informed him.

Giving her a knowing look, it became obvious to him why she was so nervous. He put at comforting hand over her shoulder and spoke. "Don't be nervous. They're great people, they're going to love you."

Calla gave Adam a small smile as he left her for the locker room. Sighing, she began pacing again; looking down on the floor and counting the cracks that were surrounding her. She was too busy looking at the floor to notice Jonathan and his family approaching her.

"Cal," Jon called out when he saw his girlfriend pacing the hallway. For the last hour he had been bragging to his parents about Calla. He talked about how amazing she was and how kind she was. The whole car ride conversation was about Calla, much to David's chagrin.

Calla's head snapped up instantly at the sound of Jon's voice. Her eyes widened slightly when she saw who was behind him. She put on a warm yet nervous smile as she met them halfway down the hallway. "Hi," she greeted the family nervously.

"Cal, theses are my mom and dad and my brother David," he introduced his girlfriend to his family with a wide grin, placing his hand on the small of her back to comfort her.

"Hi, I'm Calla, its really nice to meet you," she greeted them.

Andree had a huge grin on her face. From what she could tell, Calla seemed like a sweet girl that really cared about her son and she knew Jon felt the same way about her. "You're such a gorgeous girl," she gushed, pulling Calla into a hug. "Call me Andree."

Calla blushed and felt a little more comfortable knowing that she had achieved such welcome from Jon's mom. She looked over to his father and smiled back at him as he smiled at her and his wife. Andree broke the hug and took another good look at Calla, making her feel slightly uncomfortable.

"Why don't we go to our seats," she suggested. "Jon, we'll meet you later after the game."

Jonathan nodded and gave Calla's hand a light squeeze to comfort her. "I'll see you later," he whispered in her ear and kissed her chastely on the lips. "Relax and don't be nervous. They'll love you," he said. "I'll see you guys later," Jonathan said to his parents.

"Its so nice to finally meet you, " Andree gushed at Calla, a wide and friendly smile was placed on her face.

Awkwardly, Calla forced out a smile. It wasn't because she didn't like his family, they seemed friendly enough, it was because she was nervous and wasn't comfortable with the idea of being so affectionate with someone she had just met. Andree must have noticed Calla's discomfort and backed away a little bit, but maintained a friendly face.

Jonathan had forewarned them that Calla wasn't comfortable with being hugged by people she hardly knew. He also mentioned her sickness, which at first worried Andree and Bryan, fearing that it would distract Jonathan from his game and that it would stress him too much, but he reassured them the even if they weren't together he would still be worried. Hearing more and more about Calla from their son, they quickly warmed up to her. Both agreed that she was better than his last girlfriend.

Andree and Bryan walked ahead as David stayed behind Calla, who was lagging behind. He gave her a comforting smile once he saw her slightly scared face. "Don't worry," he whispered to her. "My parents already love you with all the things Jon has said about you."

Calla perked up, the thought of Jon talking about her made her curious. "He talks about me?"

"All the time. I'm pretty sure he talked about you way before you guys were even together. Apparently, he's 'crazy' about you. The words of my mom not mine."

Looking down to the floor again, a blush spread across Calla's cheeks and a warm feeling erupted in her chest. She wondered if this was what it felt like to know that someone cared you about other than your family. To be thought about and talked about by a significant other. It felt nice to be cared about. It made her feel like she was important and it gave her hope again, something she had lost after finding out about her condition.
♠ ♠ ♠
What did you think?
Calla finally meets Jon's family and she discovers that he's been talking about her since before they were even together.
I am so sorry that its taken me over a month to update, I've just been supremely lazy and I've also been busy with work and exams. But now I'm done! So I just be updating fairly consistently. Anyone watch the Chicago game yesterday? So disappointed in them.
Comment, let me know what you guys think.