Old Enough

three.

“So like, he’s old enough to be your older brother?”

“Yeah, that’s the point I’m trying to make, Hannah. He’s like way too young for her.”
“Is he hot at least?”

“Well, I don’t know, maybe but that’s not the point you see-”

“Score! You think she would be into me if they broke up? ‘Cause I’m like legal now and your aunt’s kinda hot...”

“Shut up Dean that’s not the point,” I said before turning back to Hannah, “I just you know… never knew she was into…”

“…children?” Dean finished shrugging his shoulders as he took another bite out of his sandwich.

“You know, lots of single middle aged woman are becoming cougars. I think they think it’s ah… ‘hip’,” Hannah said looking at me with a reassuring smile, “You never know, maybe he’s a
really cool guy and has like a younger brother or something.”

“He’s coming for dinner tonight.”

“Oh how exciting! Can I come?” Hannah asked looking at me with pleading eyes.

“You serious?”

“Yes! I swear I’m be really polite and stuff and I won’t flirt or anything! Please, please, pleeeease.”

“You know my house only has vegan food right?”

“Oh yeah…” Hannah said looking a bit disappointed at the thought of eating anything green, “well maybe I can come after dinner..?”

“No, ok. Stop being such a creep, you’re acting like Dean.”

“Hmmm?” Dean said looking up from his food.

“Fine. But can you at least take a picture or something? Or at least ask how old he is?” Hannah asked looking at me with a childish grin.

“Isn’t that kinda rude, though?”

“Yeah but he’s dating your aunt so he’ll probably try to impress you and get on your good side.”

“What good side?” Dean asked looking at Hannah in confusion.

“Shut the fuck up, Dean! I’m a nice person,” I shot back at him.

“Yeah ok then,” Dean scoffed taking another bite out of his sandwich.

-

There was a brief moment were I debated outside my house whether I should just ditch the dinner and walk to Hannah’s or Dean’s house instead. The fact that my aunt had a boyfriend in her life irritated me. First, because having a man in her life meant she would spend even less time with me than usual and second because the guy was at least half her age.

I knew I should be happy for her, the woman needed something or should I say someone to take her mind off of work and stuff. But I couldn’t help but feel selfish anger inside, it was my last school year before I would be going to college. My last year home before I would be living with a roommate in a dorm in some other city or state even. I hadn’t decided exactly where I would be attending college. But at the rate I had been going in school for a while I was happy to get into any college for that matter.

Walking into the house, I was welcomed by the smell of cooking vegetables and the loud hum of music coming in the kitchen. Good, he’s not here yet. I following the sound into the kitchen where I found my aunt swinging her hips and singing, rather off key, to Dean Martin’s That’s Amore. It was one of the strangest things I had ever seen, watching my aunt sing and dance while cooking, like something out of a romantic comedy. Only I didn’t find this romantic or comedic for that matter but more startling and bizarre.

“Oh honey, I didn’t see you there,” My aunt said once she finally noticed my presence at the door way, a goofy grin still on her face.

“Yeah, I was just…. I just got home and I heard music and…” I trialed off my sentence trying not to look as confused as I was and instead chose to look awkwardly at the ground.

“Oh yes, well dinner is going to be in half an hour, William should be here soon,” She announced, straightening up and trying to go back to serious and strict aunt she had always been.

I nodded my head and turned around to rush upstairs to the safety of my room when my aunts voice stopped me. “If you don’t mind, could you maybe change into something more… formal. I mean, I understand that is your style and all and it makes you look cool but could you maybe put on something more presentable?”

I looked down at my outfit, a loose tank top, jean shorts and my leather boots. I guess you could say I wasn’t the classiest dressed girl around, but I thought it was better than dressing like a prostitute like some of the girls that went to my school.

“Yeah… sure thing.”

“Oh, and Eleanor,” She said stopping once again from reaching the comfort of my bedroom.

“Yeah?”

“Please comb your hair while you are at it.”

-

“So what are you planning on studying to be in college?” William asked turning his gaze away from my aunt to me from across the table. I stared at him and his soft smile for a second, trying to tell whether he was actually interested or him he was just asking to be polite.

“Well um,” I said clearing my throat and staring down my fork, “I’m not quite sure yet to be honest…”

“Oh course not!” My aunt said looking at us, well mostly at William with a smile, “She wants to be a teacher or writer!”

“Well those were just ideas…” I said keeping my gaze anywhere but at their faces. This was how the whole night was going, William would ask a question and my aunt would answer. It was getting on my fucking nerves.

“Oh don’t be modest, Ellie here is a great writer, the top of her English class,” My aunt said proudly and I felt my cheeks burn up. I suddenly wished I had let Hannah come over to save me from this embarrassment.

“That’s great to hear. I hope to read something of yours some time,” William smiled kindly and I smiled weakly back. Yeah, that’s never going to happen.

By the end of the dinner I was exhausted from the amount embarrassment and awkwardness I had felt in such a short amount of time.

“Oh I think that went really well,” My aunt said cheerfully as she closed the front door asked saying goodnight to William.

“I’m going to bed,” I said heading straight for the stairs, I’m pretty sure I had a chocolate bar hidden somewhere in my sock drawer calling my name.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't written in forever. Tell me what you guys think!