Status: Complete

Starstruck

The End II

I heard, distantly, a knock on the front door. Rather than run all the way downstairs, I crossed my room and peeked my head out of one of the front windows.

I would know that dark head of hair anywhere.

“Costi!” I shouted out the window. I pulled my head back in, blushing furiously. But my heart was beating so fast and I was dizzy with adrenaline, so I faced potential humiliation and looked out again, calling, “I'm so sorry, so sorry. I-"

He walked into the house, cutting off my apologies.

I sprinted to my staircase and half jumped, half climbed down to the second floor of the house.

Even though I was moving so quickly, Costi reached the computer room at the same time I did.

I opened my mouth to apologize again, but he held up his hand. "Aura," he cut me off, "it's I who should be apologizing. I didn't give you enough time. I was just so nervous. I didn't give you a chance." His gaze burned into mine. I wanted to look away, it was so intense, but I couldn’t.

This hadn’t been what I was expecting at all. Simply put, I was stunned. What a coincidence, that Cord had just been saying the same thing.

"You… But… I…" I didn't know what to say. "I love you."

I heard a quick intake of breath and leaned back against the wall, my knees suddenly weak.

"I know," he said.

"What?" I demanded. How? Had I been that obvious? How embarrassing.

"You told me," he said with a faint smile. He seemed far more amused than the situation called for, I thought, annoyed.

"I most certainly did not." I nearly ruined the illusion of control I was going for by stomping my foot.

"Aura… I can't believe you haven't realized it yet. I'm Cord."

"What are you talking about?" I demanded. Cord? But he was… "Oh, what are the chances?" I said after a moment, choking out a laugh.

"I really am sorry," Costi said. I nodded to myself. He sounded sorry, looked sorry…

And at this point, his apologies didn’t matter. He’d come back. That was apology enough. "How did you figure it out?" I asked.

We knew each other well enough that I didn't have to clarify. "When you were sick at the same time as Ava, it was pretty obvious."

I felt less stupid for not realizing it then. How could I have known that Costi was Cord?

"I do love you," he told me again. Only I didn't freeze this time. Instead, I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now here's the real end. It's nearly the same as the last, but... in person and tweaked a bit.

I hope you enjoyed.

-Cait