Status: Finished.

I Don't Like Your Boyfriend

Texting

“Higher!” I yelled as Luke and I were at the playground and he was pushing me. He didn’t have trouble pushing me higher and higher. I laughed and embraced the adrenaline. “Okay, I’m ready.” I said as he stepped aside and I readied myself to jump. I didn’t hesitate and just jumped out and landed on my feet--which hurt like hell! I fell down to my knees laughing but Luke was at my side asking me a bunch of questions.

Are you all right?

Did you break something?

How badly does it hurt?

“I’m fine,” I told him, “just a little sore ankle.”

Luke huffed. “You could’ve seriously hurt yourself.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “You’re too--”

“Caring.” He finished for me.

“Not my choice of word but it’ll do.” I flashed him a smile.

Luke sat down on the sand with me.

“Remember when we were kids Cora was always the one who jumped the farthest?” I said as I looked at the swing set. Luke put his arm around my shoulder and I leaned on it. Cora is short for Coraline.

“She was a dare devil.” Luke chuckled.

I laughed at the memories and nodded. “She was braver than me.”

“That’s not true I think you were her strength and she was yours.”

“There are times when… I just miss her so much and my parents.” I could feel the tears coming and a hole in my chest getting wider. “I wake up--all of the time--thinking I’m going to see them but I always get the cold reminder that they’re dead.”

He didn’t say anything and I liked that. He just listened to my sorry ass.

“Sometimes I wish I could’ve died with them.” I whispered.

“Whoa, Eddy, there are so many people who care for you.” Luke said cupping my face into his hands and made me look at him. “You are a great friend and girlfriend to Sterling.” He licked his lips as I saw his eyes look at mine.

I pulled away from him.

“Thanks.” I said. “We should get going. It’s late.”

I tried to get up but he stopped me with his lips on mine. Surprisingly I moved mine with his very easily. It was soft, clean and pure. I did feel a little spark that was slowly turning into fireworks.

I don’t know how long it went but I felt a vibration against my leg and I pulled away from Luke. My eyes wide in shock. I stood up and took a step back.

“What did we just do?” I said.

“I--uh…” He didn’t know what to say.

My phone kept vibrating so I took it out. It was Sterling. Great.

I answered.

“Hey,” I said as casual as possible, “what’s up?”

“I have the rest of the day--well night-- off, do you want me to go over?”

I looked over to Luke who was looking away from me.

“Ye-yeah, meet me at my house, I’m out with Luke.”

“Where did you go?” He asked.

“Movies, I’ll see you at my house.” I closed my phone.

Luke got up. “I guess in the end he’ll always have you.”

“Luke, I don’t regret kissing you.”

He looked at me.

“I mean, we’re not going to tell anyone but, I don’t regret it one bit.” I said.

“I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you and you clearly have picked Sterling.” Luke said.

“Luke, please--”

“Let’s take you home.” Luke spoke over me.

I sighed and then groaned in frustration. I got up with him and followed him back to the his car. The ride was silent and awkward. I knew this was going to happen. I didn’t want this to happen because he was my best friend and my go-to guy when I was feeling down and now he wasn’t or he was but it would be awkward.

“I didn’t want this shit to happen.” Luke cursed. “I… I’m just sick of seeing you with Sterling.”

“I’m happy with him.”

“I know and that’s what hurts the more. Promise me you won’t act different.”

“I won’t.” I kind of lied.

Luke bit his bottom lip. “I fucked up.”

“No--”

“You may be able to lie to others but you can’t lie to me, Eddy. I’ve known you your whole life.” Luke said. He stopped at my house.

Sterling was in his car in the drive way.

I turned to Luke. “You’re still my best friend.”

He nods and smiles forcefully. I pecked his cheek and got out of the car. All I wanted was a day out with my best friend and I ended up with more drama on my plate. Antonio was enough and now Luke was on board.

He drove down the street. Sterling’s arms went around me and my mood changed. He pecked my neck and I giggled.

“I missed you.” He said.

I turned around and smiled.

“Me too, why must your family steal you away from me?” I said joking and overdramatically.

He laughed knowing I was joking and hugged me.

“If it was up to me I would have you by my side twenty four, seven.”

“Wouldn’t you get tired of me?”

“Never. I love you too darn much.”

We walked inside of my house hand in hand. My aunt was busy and my uncle was watching TV. We decided to watch TV with my uncle. He and Sterling started to talk about politics. I zoned out because politics were not interesting to me.

My phone vibrated and it was a text from Antonio.

What are you doing?

Seeing tv

Wanna come over? J&j miss u :[ and so do I

Aw, sweet but no, my bf is here

… sucky

Aren’t u out wit lora?

Just go back

Well I can’t go

Can’t you ditch him?

“Who are you texting with?” Sterling asked.

“Oh, uh, Lora, she just got back from her date with Antonio and she wants to talk about it.” I lied quickly.

“Oh, okay, tell her I said hi.”

I nodded.

Sterling says hi

Wtf?

He thinks u r lora

Why r u lying to him? Is he threaten by me?

He doesn’t need to feel threaten he knows how I feel

Right so all those close calls of us kissing mean nothing

Bye now, Antonio