Status: Finished.

I Don't Like Your Boyfriend

Am I Just Bad Luck?

His words made the whole ride to work very awkward. I didn’t say it back. I wasn’t sure of my feelings! How was I supposed to say to a boy--who wasn’t my boyfriend, but the boyfriend of my best friend--that I loved him? We arrived at the flower shop and before I could go out he called my name.

“I made things worse, didn’t I?” He said.

“It’s just…” I didn’t finish. “I think we need distance for a while.”

And that’s how it went for a couple of days. Antonio and I barely exchanged words and it made Sterling very happy. Sterling didn’t say it to my face, but I knew he was happy that Antonio and I weren’t talking. Lora never seemed so happy. I felt so guilty about doing everything to her. I wouldn’t dream of ever telling her. It would hurt her.

I entertained myself with the Cotillion. Mrs. Bulrush was a very detailed woman. She wanted everything to be perfect and not a single leaf could be out of order. She said it was a very important Cotillion. My Aunt noticed how Antonio and I weren’t as talkative anymore. She asked me about it and I told her everything was fine.

And everything was fine.

There was no hate between Antonio and I. It was just an understanding that we were with different people. I had no intentions of leaving Sterling. Antonio didn’t seem to have intentions of leaving Lora.

All too soon a month had passed by. A whole month and I couldn’t believe it.

“Am I loud and clear, or am I breaking up? Am I still your charm, or am I just bad luck? Are we getting closer, or are we just getting more lost?” I sang for the lucky girl who’s boyfriend knew music very well.

Antonio already handed her the chocolates, flowers, and huge teddy bear. I finished the song and Antonio and I got tips from the dad of the girl. Antonio and I went back to the van. It was the last and only singing gram.

Antonio dropped me off at the flower shop and left to finish dropping off the rest of the flowers. I walked inside of the shop and saw Mrs. Bulrush talking to my aunt. I frowned when I saw Cruella with Mrs. Bulrush.

“Ah, she’s back from her singing gram,” My aunt said.

I greeted Mrs. Bulrush and Cruella.

“You know each other?” Mrs. Bulrush asked.

“We go to the same school,” I said.

Cruella nodded.

“Well, I didn’t know that. We just came by to check on the flowers. It seems everything is in order,” she said.

I nodded. “It’s all under control.”

“The cotillion is only a month away and I have to recheck everything,” she said.

“It’s understandable, ma’am.”

They left the shop satisfied. My aunt dropped her smile when they left.

“I swear, I was going to rip my hair out of my scalp, if it weren’t for you,” My aunt joked.

“She has trust issues,” I said.

“How was therapy yesterday?” My aunt asked.

It was Sunday and yesterday I went to see my therapist.

“It went well, I think next week is my last session, Doc said I’m a lot better,” I said with a smile.

“I noticed the nightmares have stopped,” My aunt said.

That was true. The nightmares had stopped being so frequent. If I dreamt, it was of something else. I did have the occasional realization that I had no family, but that was easier to deal with than nightmares… it doesn’t make any sense, but it does to me.

An hour later Antonio arrived back from delivering the flowers. He and I were in the front of the store, but we didn’t talk very much. It felt a little too weird though. I know it sounds insane, but I missed his attention. I missed his flirting.

A few days ago, I came across his mother, brother, and sister and they asked me when I was going to visit them again because they missed me. I told them I was busy with school and life. Patty asked me if I liked the dress, I told her I loved it and I did.

It was my favorite color and totally my style.

When it came time to close the shop it was just Antonio and I. We locked all doors and pulled down the metal fence thing. He was going to give me a ride to my house. He stopped in front of my house.

“Thanks, see you tomorrow at school,” I said.

“Not going,” he said.

I stopped and looked back at him. “Why not?”

“I have to take my brother and sister for a doctor check up,” he said.

“Oh, okay, I’ll tell Lora,” I said.

Antonio’s hand reached out to stop me. I looked at him and I saw the internal battle inside of his eyes.

“Sleep tight don’t let the bed bugs bite,” he gave me a half smile.

I chuckled. “Thanks.”

I got out of his car and watched him as he drove away. I turned to my house and walked inside of the house. I smelled the food and my stomach growled. I went upstairs to my bedroom and heard music from Havel’s room. It was Justin Bieber, I made gagging noises and went to my room.

I checked my phone for any text and noticed I got one from Luke.

‘Whats up?’ I asked him.

‘What are you doing?’

‘Nothing just got back from work. You?’ I answered back.

‘Reading like always. I was wondering if you wanted to go to the movies next weekend’

‘Hmm, what movie would we see?’

‘The Crazies, I know you like horror movies’

‘hahaha, yes I do love me some horror movies. Just us? Or your sister, Antonio and Sterling?’

He answered a little later than usual.

‘yeah, sure’

I knew short replies meant that he didn’t want any others.

‘Lets just make it the two of us, we haven’t hung out since… the other time we went to the movies’ I said. It was also the day we kissed.

‘right! That sounds cool we’ll discuss it more tomorrow’

I went downstairs for dinner and I wasn’t surprised to see Cruella sitting at our table. I sat across from her and Havel. They were gossiping something about a girl. How girls could me so mean was beyond me.

“What about you, Edalene?” Havel asked.

I looked up at the sound of my name and slightly glared at her.

“Sorry, I mean Eddy,” she said.

“What about what?” I asked.

“The dance,” Cruella scoffed. “It’s in a month and a half.”

“So?” I asked.

“You’re not going with Sterling?” Cruella raised an eyebrow.

“What kind of dance?” I asked.

“Sadie Hawkins,” Cruella said.

“Didn’t we already have Homecoming?” I asked.

“Yeah, but this is like a middle party before Prom. The student council thought it was a great idea and so far it’s working,” Havel said very excited.

“Eh, I’m not sure, I hate dances,” I said truthfully. “I’d have to wear a dress… no thank you.”

“You’re such a guy sometimes,” Havel said.

“I just don’t get excited about spending a hundred dollars on a dress I’ll probably never wear again,” I said.

“What if Sterling wants to go?” Cruella asked.

“Sucks for him, because if it’s a Sadie Hawkins, it means I have to ask him and I’m not,” I said.

“You’re thinking of going with someone else?” Cruella asked.

I gave her a fake smile. “No, I don’t plan on going at all.”

Lora squealed very high pitched when she saw the poster on the board announcements about the dance. I covered my ears along with Luke and Sterling.

“I can’t wait to tell Antonio,” Lora said and hugged me. “We both have boyfriends now. It’s going to be awesome!”

“Uh,” I laughed nervously. “I wasn’t thinking of going.”

“What?” Lora and Sterling asked.

I felt very much on the spot.

“I just… well… I hate dances, you know that,” I said.

“You’re a dancer, how can you hate it?” Lora asked.

“Because it’s not really dancing at dances, it’s more like grinding until their marrows become one,” I said and Sterling chuckled at my analogy.

“It’s just the youth, baby,” Sterling placed his arm around me and kissed my forehead. “Let’s go.”

“But… I have better things to do that day,” I said.

“You have plans a month and a half from now?” Sterling asked.

I stuttered for a while and then sighed. “No, but… I just don’t want to go.”

“Please, Eddy, for me?” Lora said and did her puppy look.

I groaned. “Don’t do that… it’s not going to work!”

Her lower lip trembled.

“Gosh, darn it! Fine!” I said.

“Yay!” Lora clapped her hands and hugged me again. “Shopping!”

“I already have a dress,” I said thinking of the dress Antonio’s mom made me.

“Fine, but we’re still going to get mine. Where’s Antonio? School is about to start,” Lora said checking her cell phone.

“He’s taking his brother and sister to the doctor, he’s not coming today,” I said.

“Why didn’t he tell me?” She asked.

“I told him I would tell you last night when he dropped me off at the house after work,” I said.

The bell rang and it was time for hell… I mean school.
♠ ♠ ♠
CTC: 'Swing Life Away' Rise Against