Sequel: Before You Die

Human Timelord

My Decision

The Pevalimon dispersed quickly with no need for violence as soon as they saw their fallen leader. A few of them had confused looks on their alien faces. Probably wondering what they were going to do with their lives now that evil plans had fallen through. They were heading back to their ships and off into the distance. I watched all this from the doorway that led out into the fields beyond.

“They’re going home.”

Jack’s voice brought me back down to earth and I turned to him.

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

“The Doctor,” he shrugged.

“Oh. Right.” I turned away again.

“I really am sorry Erica,” Jack said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

“I know you are,” I replied softly, placing my hand on top of his. “But…I’m not coming back with you Jack.”

“What?” he exclaimed, his hand slipping off my shoulder. “But it’s all over now.”

I chuckled under my breath. “Really Jack? Is it ever really over?”

“Well…no,” he admitted. “But it doesn’t mean I don’t want you home any less.”

“Jack,” I whispered. “In case you didn’t realise. This is me breaking up with you.”

“I did realise. I’d just hoped you weren’t being serious.”

I turned back around to him. “For once in my life, I’m actually being really serious.”

“Well, my heart has been broken many times before,” he replied. “Although, not by anyone as young as you. You should feel very proud of yourself Erica Scotts. Upon our meeting you bruised me, and in our goodbye you break me.”

“Jack-”

“It’s alright Erica. I’ve lived for many years, and I’ll live for many more. I’ll be bruised and broken many more times.”

“Jack,” I started again. “Do you love Nara?”

“What?” he said.

“Do. You. Love. Nara. I can spell it out for you if you want.”

“Um…I-”

“Nara!” I called. She stepped out from behind a pillar looking sheepish.

“Sorry,” she murmured, turning away.

“Nonsense,” I said, skipping over to her and pulling her by her arm over to Jack.

“Now. I want this to be like a marriage counselling session or something. But without the marriage. Or the counselling. I don’t like counsellors…but anyway. What I do want is honesty. So in other words, and Jack I know you’re not very good at this, I want you to express your feelings.”

“And who says you weren’t born to be a counsellor,” Nara started.

“SHH!” I said. “I want this happening within the next thirty seconds.”

10 seconds past.

“Do you want me to leave?” I asked after another twenty seconds of silence.

Nara smiled apologetically in my direction.

“Fine,” I put up my hands in defeat. “But when you two lovebirds have little green feet running around on the floor of the uh, new Torchwood, I want one named after me!”

I ran out of there fast enough to not hear the responding comments, but leaving enough time to see them hold hands. I smiled and walked back into the room where the Tardis was just in time to see him walk out of the door.

“Jack and Nara are having a little heart to heart.”

“I’ve seen stranger couples,” he said understandingly. “Unless that was just a movie I saw in Daretore…”

He trailed off, actually looking like he was thinking hard.

“I never know when you’re joking Doctor.”

“Truth be told, neither do I,” he responded. “But I think it’s time to be off. We need to return Ariella’s body to her family.”

“Right.”

“I would let Jack do the talking, but he’s never been great at explanations, or empathising.”

“Funnily enough. Neither are you.”

“That is exactly why you’re going to do it.”

“Do what?” I said feigning stupidity.

He simply shot me that exasperated look and walked into the Tardis just as Nara and Jack came around the corner.

“Glad to see that you two have kissed and made up because we’re leaving. Into the Tardis.”
Jack walked in quickly, but Nara stayed with me outside.

“Thank you,” she said, surprisingly, leaning over and giving me a hug. “I can’t ever thank you enough.”

“You were made for each other Nara. I can’t be there for him. And it’s going to take him a long time to earn back my trust. I’ve seen the way you two look at each other. It doesn’t take a genius in a blue box to figure that one out.”

She smiled once again before following Jack into the Tardis. And taking one last look at Parethon through the window, I followed them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. I'm on holidays now, so as long as i don't get writer block (again), we should be in for a lot more updates.

Please comment and subscribe!