In Over My Head Zack Merrick

Chapter Two

Zack

I groaned, leaning my head against the window. It had been a week, and Taylor was still kinda pissed off at me. I guess I didn’t blame her.

I missed my son. I missed my girlfriend.

I picked my phone up and dialed the familiar number, pressing it to my ear, waiting for a ring to be interrupted by her voice.

My heart almost dropped when I heard the final ring, but before it could go to her voicemail, she answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey baby,” I smiled.

“Hey Zack, what’s up?” I could tell she was still kind of mad.

“Not much. I miss you,”

“I miss you too,” She sighed.

“Are you mad at me?” I asked cautiously.

“No, why would I be mad at you?” Her voice had a hint of irritation in it now. I could hear Jason in the background, laughing at something.

“I don’t know, you just seem mad,”

“Oh no Zack, I’m fine, I don’t mind that you waited until the last minute to tell me that you were leaving me and Jason again.” She snapped.

“I’m sorry, it’s my job,”

“Well you could have told me in advance!”

I groaned. “You know what, I’ll talk to you later,” I said. Turns out, I was talking to the dial tone already.

- - -

Two weeks later..

I pulled into my driveway and my face lit up into a grin. I was finally home.

I got out of the car quickly and opened the garage, pulling my bags behind me. The held the door open with my foot and pulled my suitcase inside, shutting it behind me.

“Daddy! Daddy’s home!” I heard Jason squeal, hearing the pitter-patter of small feed come towards me.

I smiled, picking him up into my arms and twirling him around while he laughed. He then proceeded to hug my neck tightly. “I misseded you Daddy,” He pouted.

“Aw, bud I missed you too,”

Taylor walked down the stairs, arms crossed casually over her chest.

“Jason, you gotta go to bed baby, it’s past your bedtime,”

‘But mommmmmmmy!” He whined.

“No buts, go get ready,” She pointed to the stairs. He huffed as I put him down and pushed him towards the stairs, and after hesitating he scampered up, crawling on his hands and knees.

After about fort five minutes Jason was in bed, sleeping soundly, and Taylor returned to me. She sat down next to me on the couch and turned her attention to the TV.

“Baby,” I sighed. She looked at me.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“You’re mad,”

“No I’m not,”

“Stop lying,” I groaned. She scooted closer to me, looking me in the eyes.
“Babe, I’m sorry I yelled at you. I just don’t like it when you leave, and neither does Jason,”

“I don’t like leaving either,” I mumbled, pressing my lips to hers.

“Then don’t,” She pulled away only for a moment to say that, then connecting out mouths back together.

“I have to, it’s my job,” She pouted. “I love you,” I tried.

“I love you, when you’re here.” She stood up, clicking the TV off. “I’ll meet you in bed,” She kissed my cheek, walking slowly up the stairs. I heard our bedroom door click shut and I groaned, standing up and walking to the kitchen cabinets, grabbed a cup, a can of Coke and mixed it with some rum, downing it quickly. I went to pour some more but I thought of my son, and slowly put the cup in the sink, and the rum away.

I clicked the kitchen lights off and walked into our bedroom, climbing in next to Taylor.

She put her face in my neck, and I could feel her hot breath.

“Tay?” I said softly.

“Hmm?” She mumbled.

“I love you,” I murmured, kissing her hair.

I felt her smile against my neck, and she looked up at me. “I love you too,” She kissed me softly before snuggling into my chest, and shortly after her breathing became slow and even.

- - -
It rains in your bedroom and everything is wrong
it rains when you’re here and it rains when you’re gone