Status: Complete

Merlin

A Wander In The Forest

"Hey, how you feeling?" Merlin's voice broke the silence of the empty room.

"Hey! I'm feeling better thanks, could do with more company, or at least some exercise" I sat up on the bed.

"Gaius said you had to have at least a week’s rest before getting out of bed" Merlin reminded me.

"I know, but I'm feeling fine, honestly"

Merlin sighed and gave me a sceptical look but sighed with a smile. He then looked up at me and smiled.

"Want to sneak out for a few hours?" He asked.

"Please!"

Merlin went out and made sure Gaius hadn't come back from his medicine rounds. I had to pick the dress right up above my knees so I didn't trip, I only then realised that I didn't have to since no one was around and it wasn't like back in my time when the floor boards creaked. My shoes were also soft so you could barely hear my footsteps. It was now that I missed wearing trousers and having the freedom of them. Merlin made sure no one that would recognise me was in the courtyard. We got out of the courtyard and Merlin and I took the path in to the woods. We sat down not that far from the path and I took in the fresh air. I loved how the air was really fresh here, and not all polluted like it was back in my own time. I started to feel down thinking about being back in my own time.

"What's wrong?" Merlin asked.

"Nothing..." I sighed.

"I can tell something's wrong" He sang to me.

"Fine. I...I just don't know what to do. I can see my friends and family when I sleep and I can see and hear everything that's happening, I miss them..."

"Oh" Merlin said and looked away.

"I'm sorry, you have been so good to me and I'm not ungrateful or anything...I just...I don't belong here...I can't be 'Lady Sarah' forever, I will have to go back sometime" I explained.

"Do you feel as though we're keeping you here?" He asked slightly offended.

"No!" I put my hands up and stood up.

"No, no, no. I just, I'm torn between the two. My whole life is back there, my family and friends, university and part time job, I don't know if I can give all that up and just stay here" I sat back down.

"I understand" Merlin nodded.

"I mean I actually love you all, your all my friends even Uther" I winked playfully.

Merlin laughed and rubbed his legs nervously.

"But, I've only known you for a few days, I've known everyone back in twenty ten for years"

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, we can try harder to find away to send you back"

"I'm not in a hurry, I'm in a hospital back in the real time" I chuckled.

Merlin gave me a funny look.

"Oh no! Sorry! I meant my time" I blushed and apologised.

Merlin relaxed and sat next to me and hugged me.

"I know, I don't take offence, I know this must be hard for you"

I smiled at him and hugged him tighter.

"Thanks" I pulled away and smiled at him.

Merlin smiled too and we sat like that for a minute. I then felt my heart race with anticipation as we sat staring at each other for a little longer than usual. I could see in Merlin's eyes he was contemplating something. I couldn't breathe properly so I opened my mouth a little, I think Merlin was going through the same thing as he did too. Merlin reached his hand up to the side of my face. I leaned into his hand, he was so gentle. I couldn't make up my mind if this was a good thing or a bad thing or if I should let it happen or not. Merlin leaned in a little closer, not sure if he should or not. I felt my heart get faster and I felt the rush of adrenaline surge through me and I knew then; I wanted Merlin to kiss me.

The pounding of hooves became audible, but we heard them too late. We broke apart just as Arthur stopped his horse right next to us and looked at us with an uncertain but knowing eye. Both of us blushed as Merlin cleared his throat and stepped closer to Arthur.

"Sarah needed some fresh air" He said.

"Gaius is looking for her" Arthur said.

We nodded and Arthur looked me up and down.

"Would you like me to take you back to the castle Lady Sarah?" Arthur offered.

"No think you I'll walk" I smiled.

"You should go" Merlin whispered.

"Oh...well yes thank you Sire" I bowed my head.

Arthur got off his horse and helped me onto his horse, then he jumped on behind me and wrapped his arms round me to hold me in place as he held the reigns. I saw a jealous glint in Merlin's eyes and I shook my head at him.

"I'll see you back at the castle Merlin" Arthur nodded and set off.

The ride back to the castle was silent except for the pounding of the horse's hooves.