Status: Complete

Merlin

A Guest Of Merlin's ; A Guest Of The Prince

I was awestruck and speechless as we got closer to the Castle. It was absolutely breath taking! I smiled as we got closer, realizing I was going to be in a real Castle that wasn't just somewhere I would visit and get a tour, it was actually being inhabited by Royalty! My excitement went to fright as we turned left and took a de-tour.

"Uh where are we going?" I asked.

"We're going to see Gwen, she's the one who loaned you the dress" Merlin explained.

"Oh.." I nodded.

"In all honesty she was reluctant to give me it...she thought I wanted to wear it" Merlin blushed a bit with a smile.

I laughed which made Merlin smile a bit more. We stopped outside a small cottage like house but small, with different coloured sheets hanging up outside. Merlin knocked and the door opened instantly.

"Hello" Gwen smiled.

"Can we come in?" Merlin asked.

"Well I was just about to head up to see Morgana...don't you have to be going to see Arthur?" Gwen asked.

I stood quiet as they talked not knowing who they were talking about.

"Yes..well...this is Sarah, she's the one who needed your dress...not me" Merlin smiled.

"Oh, nice to meet you, I'm Gwen" Gwen held out her hand.

"Yeah you too" I smiled and shook her hand.

"Where are you from?" She asked kindly.

I panicked. There would be no way she would believe I was from Ealdor...I have a Scottish accent!

"I'm from Scotland" I smiled.

"Oh right! That's amazing. What are you doing all the way down here?" Gwen asked.

"I came to visit Merlin" I smiled

"He's a distant cousin that I haven't saw since we were young" I added.

"Oh. I didn't know you had family in Scotland Merlin" Gwen said.

"Yeah...uh distant relatives" Merlin smiled.

Gwen nodded not completely convinced. Merlin smiled.

"Anyway! We should get going..Morgana and Arthur will be waiting" Merlin said.

"Yes we should go" Gwen agreed and grabbed a cloak and we left.

"So why did you have to borrow one of my dresses?" Gwen asked as we walked towards the Castle.

"Uh..well I was robbed on the way here. see I went to Ealdor first and then I got told Merlin was here...so on my way over to Camelot I was robbed by bandits...I was lucky to get away." I said.

"What about the dress you were wearing?" Gwen asked confused.

I froze.

"It was in pieces! they had been tearing at it to get to me but I got away...and Merlin found me in the woods and ran to get me some clothes" I explained.

I looked at Merlin smiling. Merlin smiled back liking the cover story. Gwen spoke to me about my 'terrible incident' and I had to make it up as I went along. Merlin just smiled but nodded seriously when Gwen looked at him. Once we reached the Castle I was awe struck and my eye lit up.

"Oh my god...it's beautiful!" I grinned.

"Yeah it is" They both agreed.

I was a little frightened by the guards with their many weapons and armour. Scared or not I was really amazed! We left the courtyard where Gwen went a different way than us to go and meet the Lady Morgana, the King's Ward. Merlin was Prince Arthur's man servant so I was probably going to meet the Prince!

"Will I meet him?" I asked.

"Uh I'm not sure...he's supposed to be out patrolling with the King. If you wanted to I guess I could try and get him to come meet you?" Merlin asked.

"Nah it's OK it doesn't matter" I smiled.

Merlin smiled back and lead me along a corridor to a wooden door. There were voices inside but Merlin just walked right in.

"Sorry I'm late Guais but wait till you...hear..this" Merlin finished his sentence, his mouth hanging open slightly.

I walked in behind him and looked over his shoulder to see an older man leaning on a work bench with all sorts of science equipment on it and books all over the place. He wore a beige night gown like outfit with a red and white pattern down the middle. The other man was about Merlin and I's age with a red tunic on and brown trousers. He looked a bit peeved.

"And where have you been?" He asked in a clearly annoyed tone.

"I was out finding herbs for Gaius" Merlin said.

"And what's this thing that Gaius has to hear?" the boy asked.

"Um..." Merlin looked at me.

I took a breath and stepped out from behind Merlin. I guessed that this boy was in fact Prince Arthur since he was shouting at Merlin and Merlin wasn't shouting back. also that he wore a better quality clothes.

"Hello, I'm Sarah I'm Merlin's cousin...from Scotland. I've come to visit for a while" I curtsied.

Both men looked at me. The older man presumably Gaius stood up straight and bowed back to me. Arthur looked me over taking everything about me in and narrowed his eyes then relaxed.

"Sarah, this is Prince Arthur and Gaius..the Court Physician" Merlin introduced us.

I bowed again and smiled politely.

"I'm sorry where did you say you were from?" Gaius asked.

"Scotland" I smiled.

"That's quite a long way away just to come visit a cousin" Arthur said and crossed his arms.

"Well, Merlin and I were quite close when we were younger when I visited him in Ealdor" I lied.

Arthur nodded.

"And how long will you be staying here?" Arthur asked.

"I'm not sure." I admitted.

"She was attacked" Merlin said suddenly.

I turned and looked at him and he looked at me with a 'play along' look. I turned back to the other two men and hung my head slightly, pretending to be ashamed. I tried to remember everything I told Gwen.

"My goodness are you alright child?" Gaius asked.

"Yes I'm fine...I'm sorry though, you see I was the one who kept Merlin late. I was on my way here from Ealdor. I went there first just to be told Merlin was in Camelot. And on my way here I was attacked and robbed by a group of bandits. I was lucky to escape and I was lost in the forest and that's where I bumped into Merlin...who brought me here" I smiled up at Merlin who smiled back and placed his hand on my shoulder and we both looked at the two other men.

They looked absolutely astounded. I patted Merlin's hand and he took it away.

"Well surely you must be terrified" Arthur said.

"I was...especially when I was alone. But Merlin found me and assured I could stay here for a while and that's made me feel safer" I smiled.

It wasn't all a lie. I was attacked, but not by a human. And I did actually feel safer around Merlin.

"Well...I'm sure Gaius won't mind you staying here...if he has the room. And if not then...I'm sure Merlin can set up a guest room for you" Arthur offered.

"My Lord!" I bowed.

"That is a fantastic offer, thank you! But I'd rather not impose on anyone in fact" I said suddenly unsure of everything that was happening.

"Your not imposing." Arthur said.

"There's not alot of space here anyway" Merlin said.

I turned and looked at him sort of panicked. Merlin noticed.

"You don't have to worry. The Castle's really safe, and if you need me all you have to do is shout on me and if that doesn't work ask a guard to get me" Merlin smiled.

I opened my mouth to reply but nothing came out I nodded.

"Very well. Thank you my Lord, I accept your offer " I smiled.

"Excellent. Merlin will fix up your room." Arthur said.

"Sire don't you need me to do other things for you?" Merlin asked.

"It's too late for that now. You'll just have to do them all tomorrow! " Arthur went to leave.

"Actually, I need my armour polished, my chain-mail mended and my sword sharpened for tomorrow." Arthur said.

"Oh and my chamber needs cleaning. You can do that after you've set up your cousins room" Arthur left.

Once he left Merlin sighed and then turned to Gaius. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"It's a pleasure Miss" He took my hand and kissed it.

I giggled not so used to the custom. Gaius smiled.

"Gaius I need to -"

"Give me the herbs for the potion that I need to have made for tonight for Morgana and Uther" Gaius held out his hand waiting.

Merlin handed him the small white bag he had been carrying.

"No Gaius I really need your hep with something." He said.

"I think. You should go help your cousin and set up her room and take her around the Castle so she doesn't get lost" Gaius said.

"But-"

"No. Tell me later. You have chores to do" Gaius said.

Merlin thought about his next words and then nodded. He signaled for me to leave with him so I did. Once outside the door I grabbed his arm.

"Why didn't you tell him?" I asked.

"Maybe I'm not supposed to tell him. Maybe we're supposed to figure it out for ourselves" He said.

I bit my lip and sighed...how were we going to figure this out?