Status: Complete

Merlin

Dining With Royalty

Once Arthur left I decided I was going to have to practice being from this time. I realise I was acting a little too relaxed and treated everyone the same, which doesn't happen here. I practiced for about ten minutes then gave up. I didn't have a clue what I was doing! Eventually I left the room I was occupying and took a good look around outside so I could try and remember what room I was to stay in. I then went down the way Merlin took me when leading me to this room. Servants walked past me and I smiled and bid them good day, they smiled back and bowed their head as they went. I walked past the door Merlin took me to the first time and I had to double back and I knocked politely.

"Come in" Said who I thought was Gaius.

I went in and saw him leaning over his bench swirling a potion in his hand. I watched him totally concentrated on what he was doing. I had always been interested in potion making and witchcraft.

"Ah Sarah, what can I do for you?" He asked with a smile.

"I'm looking for Merlin" I said sheepishly.

"Well, I'd imagine he's cleaning Arthur's armour" Gaius said.

"Where does he do that?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. Just wherever I guess" Gaius shrugged.

"Ah OK" I said.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing. I'm just unsure what to do here" I giggled nervously.

"Well, what would you be doing in Scotland?" Gaius asked.

I thought about what to say that wasn't a lie, but wouldn't give me away.

"I'd be hanging out with my friends" I said.

Gaius nodded and started to mix his potion again, sniffed it and then put it down. He searched for something in a a cupboard behind him. I waited patiently for him to say something when a book caught my eye. I went over to it and opened it at a random page and couldn't read it at all! I tried to read it aloud.

"Moorktan Tyran -"

"Don't read that!" Merlin's voice came form beside me.

I jumped from fright and held my hands up in a defensive position. Gaius turned around slightly alarmed. Merlin took the book from me and smiled.

"It's personal" He said.

"What language is that?" I asked.

"English..old English" He said.

"Ah...cool" I smiled and turned to Gaius.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have looked without permission" I appologised.

"It's alright" Gaius said.

He gave a peculiar look to Merlin and I knew something was special about that book. Merlin cleared his throat and I gave him a sorry look.

Everything was quiet for a bit then Gaius broke the silence.

"Weren't you looking for Merlin for something?" Gaius reminded me.

"Oh yeah! Merlin...I got us invited to dine with the King and Arthur" I smiled.

Gaius and Merlin looked at each other and I bit my lip.

"I'm sorry...I was invited but I didn't want to go alone...what if I needed help with something?" I said.

I hoped Merlin would understand and Gaius would think something else. Gaius did take it as though I was just nervous about dining with royalty. Merlin sighed.

"Yeah I guess that's alright...Gaius will you be alright by yourself tonight?" Merlin asked.

"Yes I'll be fine" Gaius smiled.

So until dinner, Merlin polished and mended Arthur's chain mail and I took an interest in learning the different parts of the armour and how Arthur actually managed to break the chain mail this time. By the time dinner came I was starving!

I took deep breaths as we waited outside the doors of the dining hall. Merlin laughed at me and I smiled embarrassed.

"Shut up. I've never dined with Royalty before" I murmured.

"Well, you'll be fine don't worry." He assured me.

The guards opened the door and we walked in. I felt my heart going sixty miles a minute! I felt two pairs of eyes on me as we walked in.

"Ah father. Let me introduce Lady Sarah...Merlin's cousin from Scotland" Arthur said.

I stopped walking in confusion. Lady Sarah? I looked at Merlin and he nodded at me and I bowed. The King stood up and smiled.

"Welcome to Camelot My Lady" He said.

I smiled and made my way towards the table.

"It's an honour My Lord." I said.

Merlin went to pull out a chair for me but Arthur beat him to it. Merlin bowed and sat next to me. Arthur smiled and sat at the other end of the table. A servant came in with some wine and poured us all some glasses.

"So tell me Lady Sarah. What made you come all the way down here to Camelot?" the King asked.

"I came to visit Merlin of course" I smiled at Merlin.

"Yes, my son tells me you were attacked...is that right?" He asked intrigued but completely serious.

"Yes. I was on my way here from Ealdor when I was attacked and robbed by a bunch of bandits" I nodded.

"Good Heavens child! How did you get away?" He asked surprised.

I took a breath and looked at Merlin. I bit my lip.

"Well, I managed to fight them off...without weapons and I ran. And somehow I managed to get to the woods just outside Camelot where Merlin found me. I had lost everything and the clothes I wore were torn, but a friend of Merlin's, Gwen, she loaned me this dress" I smiled.

"Gwen? Lady Morgana's servant?" Arthur asked Merlin.

"Yes Sire" Merlin nodded.

We were all quiet for a bit.

"Oh please, help yourself to the food" The King said.

"Oh thank you My Lord" I smiled and helped myself.

In the middle of the table there was a roasted pig and then vegetables and some fruit. I took some of the pig and then some fruit...no veg tables! I was asked questions about Scotland and also about my childhood with Merlin. I answered all with difficulty but Merlin helped. King Uther and Prince Arthur seemed to be taking the bait pretty well,Merlin and I really make a good team. After dinner Arthur stood and stretched.

"Merlin, did you finish all your chores today?" Arthur asked.

"Uh yes Sire I did" Merlin smiled.

"Did you put it back in my room?" Arthur asked.

"Uh...no" Merlin said with thought.

"Well, I think you should go do that then" Arthur said.

Merlin sighed and stood up.

"Yes Sire" He said and went to leave.

"I should be heading too I guess" I smiled and stood up.

I looked at Merlin who didn't stop walking and knocked over a metal pole with fire inside it. My eyes widened but just as quickly as it had fallen Merlin's eyes flashed and the entire thing was back where it was. Just as Uther and Arthur turned around to see what it was Merlin grabbed it by the pole and pretended to be fixing it back into place. My mouth hung open in amazement...how did he do that?!

"You clumsy fool!" Uther stood and shouted.

"Merlin! You could have set fire to the dining room!" Arthur shouted as well.

I just sighed a breath in relief and stood up.

"I'm sorry, must be the wine" Merlin chuckled nervously.

Uther and Arthur didn't know what to say so I made my way towards Merlin.

"Merlin, can you show me to my room please?" I asked.

"Yes of course" He nodded.

"You don't have to go now" Uther said.

I sighed and smiled kindly at them.

"I'm sorry My Lord. I am rather tired after what happened and my journey today" I smiled.

"Oh yes of course...please stay as long as you like" Uther offered.

I smiled and bowed.

"Good night" I said.

I then followed Merlin out of the hall and sighed once the doors were closed.

"You did great in there!" Merlin grinned.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah!" He said.

I laughed and hugged him which caught him off guard but he hugged me anyway. The guards were looking at us funny so I let him go and cleared my throat.

"I thought I was going to make a fool of myself! I've never dined with Royalty before" I said and hooked arms with him.

Before Merlin could answer I continued.

"C'mon cuz, I think you should show me where my chamber is... I forgot" I smiled and lead him in some direction.

Merlin took me to my bedroom and hugged me good night. There were a few candles lit in the room and I suddenly felt so weird. I wasn't used to candle lit rooms and four poster beds. Or that. I realised I didn't have anything to wear to bed so I just took the dress off and slept with my band shirt on and in my knickers and sock to keep me a little warmer. The covers were a little itchy but pretty comfy at the same time. I wanted to leave a candle burning to help me feel safer, I suddenly missed everything back in 2010. I wasn't used to this. I was too used to my red walls with cream boarders and my black wardrobes and big screen TV and computer desk.

So I lay in the bed and waited for sleep to come. Thinking over everything that had happened today...but the more I thought about it the less I could remember. I would have started to panic but that's when sleep decided to grace my tired eyes and then something came to my attention.

How did Merlin kill that creature in the forest? And how did he fix the fire pole thing in the dining hall?